Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you serious?

I met with a friend today who told me that somebody had commented on my weight loss. They said I must not be doing something right because I've only lost 65lbs since surgery on October 22. Thankfully she is a good friend who has had bypass and knows how the journey goes. So she stood up for me and said," Actually, I think she's ahead of schedule." I wasn't mad about the comment, but intrigued on what would make somebody say something like that when they really don't have a clue. This isn't a rant but more of sharing. Just think it's funny how people are still so judgemental even after a person has lost so much.

People are never happy, ignore the negative and enjoy the positives. You've lost loads of weight and are doing a fantasic job.x

Thanks! I love being able to come here for support and encouragement and to share things like this. My thought was who the heck is this person to judge? I did laugh about it.

Better to laugh it off, she was just being rude and doesn't deserve a second more of your time. Enjoy your journey, and be proud of all your achieving :-) x

You know, that takes a lot of nerve. Why even comment? That was the reason I didn't want people to know about the surgery. I didn't want to be the topic of anyone's conversation...however, some people found out, and I am anyway. I guess people are the same everywhere, lol.

I've not told many people, I decided I didn't want the stigma. I just want to get on with my weight loss without judgement. The few people that know are quite supportive which is lucky for me. :-) I do love this forum as it helps relieve stress and help squish fears. Its very supportive and informative :-) x

Krissymbr, that is what you call being a "hater!" That person is jealous!!! Let's see her lose over sixty pounds in five months!!! Let them eat their hearts out!!! You go!!!!!

I have only told my husband and my mom about my surgery for this reason. I can't wait to hear all the rumors about why I am losing so much weight all of a sudden. I would imagine the two biggest rumors will be that I became either bulimic or I am on drugs. No one wants to think you could be doing something right with your life. They want to expect the worst so they feel superior.

65lbs lost!! and someone actually had a negative comment - REALLY??? That would be one comment I would completely ignore. Imagine what they were saying before you lost the 65lbs; remember how you felt when you were 65lbs heavier and the joy you feel being 65lbs lighter. Be proud of yourself, I think this is a major accomplishment.

I didn't tell anyone about my surgery either, well many people knew I had surgery - quite frankly I lied when asked why I had to have surgery. I guess I was so disappointed about the failure of the band surgery I had several years ago and many knew about that, that I just didn't want to risk the same embarassment if the sleeve surgery didn't produce any noticeable results. So far that hasn't been the case, but this is just the start of my journey.

Is the person who made the comment overweight / obese? Could be jealousy.

I'm not sure who it was that made the comment but I don't really care, either.

I wasn't going to tell anybody about my surgery, but it was a new program at my hospital and I was approached about sharing my story and experience. They had me do a pre-surgery camera interview that ran on Facebook and Twitter in two parts. Then they tweeted my surgery live from the OR. I've had one follow up interview since surgery and about to do another one. I decided to share knowing that people would talk behind my back. So that's why I'm not really surprised or upset about the comment and just find it amusing. But in sharing my story it has helped others decide if this is the right path for them. I don't regret sharing. I've gotten tons of support and that outweighs the negativity of others.

If you've made they choice to help others then the amount of people you help and save out weighs the few who will judge. You should be thanked for being a inspiration not judged. The person who said is either overweight and jealous or thin and doesn't understand the struggle involved to lose weight. Keep your head high, feel proud of your achievements and ignore the sad few who feel the need to be negative. We all think your doing fantastic and I hope by the time I'm at your stage I've lost 65 pounds :-) well done you x

I think people don't know what to expect And because of that they can come across a bit rude. When I told a friend at 3 weeks out that I'm down 40lbs she said I thought you would have lost more by now. I don't know what she meant by it but I think she does doesn't understand. Don't let it get to you!!

I think reality shows and those like The Biggest Loser have done all of us a disservice. Perception of magic, throw in envy, ignorance and people's tendency to just be rude and viola you have ridiculous comments.

A lot of the people on biggest loser re gain the weight afterwards, they can't maintain daily exercise to the extent that they were doing in in the biggest loser house/mansion. We will get our weight off but keep them off as we are cutting down our portions, thinking about what we eat and doing maintainable exercise. All while keeping hydrated and having a relatively normal life. :-)