Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight training is hard

I need to get better at weight training and stamina. After about 10 minutes into the "inside out" strength training with Bob Harper ( a very intense routine that involves just personal weight and light barbells), my focus disappears and I give up and switch back to cardio like elliptical ( not running on this day because need to take a day rest in between runs).

How can I get better at strength training? I am the prodigal newbie when it comes to strength training, but have lots of good books: new rules for lifting, men's fitness, etc. I have not read them all, but they look pretty impressive on my shelf. LOL!

Do I need a personal trainer to improve my stamina and endurance? I do not have a lot of extra funds to hire a trainer and same reason why I do not have a gym membership (I have my own equipment and barbells).

Any guidance is appreciated.

Perhaps it just about getting into a routine to do it. Start off with lighter weights and work your way up. Build it into a habit and you will succeed. I have gone back to the gym and am now weight training myself, I will see how I do without a PT. I'm starting out with lighter weights and working up. I'm sore today and will be mixing in some cardio classes too boot...... You can do this. Once you do it continuously, you will start to build the habit of a life time. :)

Is it more a lack of focus? Or your muscles tire out quickly? If it's physical and not mental, that will improve with time and just try and stick to it. If it's mental or a lack of focus, not sure what you can do. If there is a lack of good motivation, or the right kind of motivation, I guess the focus could suffer some. I hope you don't give up without giving it a good and deserved try. If you hang in there, I think you'll be happy that you stuck with it. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses. I am going to tone down the intensity and see if I can make it through a session. I want to build a lean body with good definition when my shirt is off. I do not necessarily want to be shredded like a body builder. Perhaps something similar to Ryan Reynolds.