Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared...slip?

I had my first fill last Thursday and on Sunday I had my first "stuck" feeling. It was quite painful and felt like I was punched in the chest. and after throwing up weird liquid substance the pain subsided after 20 minutes or so. The rest of the day I went on liquids and felt fine. Well Monday at lunch the same thing happened and again today at lunch. This is not happening in the morning or evening, just at lunch. I am terrified I have slipped or done damage but to get a floro it will be several hundreds of dollars out of pocket as I was banded in Mexico. Has anyone else experienced this?

Many experience it, yes. Did you go on liquids after your episode on Sunday? What is it that you were trying to eat at noon-time? Are you chewing to liquid?

If you are continuing to have a problem with regurgitating, maybe you need to go on liquids for a day or two to allow the esophagus to heal?? I hope you get some relief soon.

Yesterday it happened when I was eating crustless pizza and today it was cottage cheese. I didn't think I had any restriction until this started happening. I thought I had chewed the pizza well enough but I was in a hurry, may not have. Today I was just sitting at my desk eating the cottage cheese and I got the feeling again and it grows increasingly worse before it gets better. When I pb it makes me gage and then I heave a bit. Right now I feel kind of weird like I have a lump in my throat. I have never had any kind of reflux so I wouldn't know if this is what it is. What scares me is it's not only regurgitation but it hurts. Can anyone that has had a slip describe what the symptoms are?

I am going to go on liquids for a few days and hope it starts to feel better.

I think this is normal, although you don't want to keep throwing up. It happens to me also, mostly with dinner. It varies from day to day, but sometimes my stomach just doesn't want what I'm giving it, or sometimes I eat too fast. I immediately get "stuck" and feel awful for a few minutes, then finally throw it up (PB), or slime (spitting saliva like stuff).

It did not start happening till I had my 2nd fill (total of 2cc's).

Sounds like restriction to me..it takes time to learn what foods you can and can not eat now that you have your fill. it is a proccess of elimination, some can eat cottage cheese, I could. If you continue to PB then you may need a little fill removed. Instead of 1.5 cc's m,aybe go down to 1.3..having as little as .2 cc's removed makes a huge difference in being able to eat solids without PBing but still have restriction. Does Curry not do his fills under fluoro? Ortiz does which makes a huge difference in getting the right fill level, if Curry is doing it blindly then you just may be a tad too tight. Slipped band you would most likely not be able to eat or drink anything without throwing up. What you are experiencing is just a band that may be filled too tight, but again if you continue to throw up you need to have a little fill removed, Pbing often can result in a slipped band.

Perhaps it was the pizza-I was told no to pizza. I also throw up sometimes but only when I do not chew well enough or eat too much. If it continues, please seek medical help.

Um.. pizza dough is not your friend. Pizza was my very first PB as well. The consistency of the dough will definitely stop you in your tracks if you have real restriction.

I'm glad to hear that it is somewhat normal, I was so scared I messed the band up. I go back to the Dr in a week and a half, if I'm still having problems I will have him remove some saline.

I haven't eaten real pizza, it was 'crustless' pizza made with egg/creamcheese for the 'crust'. I never had a problem with it until Monday but don't think I'll be trying it again!

What's a normal meal like for you, letha? Just trying to get my bearings.

Normal? Depends on the day, but often I have a tuna salad kit for lunch at work. Today, I took homemade chili Beans instead and had about 6 saltines with it. This evening, for dinner, I have had only shredded roast beef cooked in the crockpot with onions, no gravy. I will probably have some yogurt later to take my medications.

I don't often eat Breakfast, but if I do, it's normally a Protein bar.

I am 3 yrs out and no longer have alot of restriction due to esophageal relaxation. I struggle with the carb hungry monster and the only way I can beat it is to detox myself from it. Often a weekend will be spent on boiled eggs and chicken breasts. For veggies, I'll open a can of green Beans, sometimes asparagus etc.

I don't know about anyone else but I can't eat scrambled eggs at all they made me sooo sick. Never had any problems before the band. I have trouble when I eat too fast. Brendab

MimIN, it sounds like you finally have some restriction, and you will have to adjust your eating habits to get used to it. Really practice everything you have heard about taking teeny tiny bites and chewing them to liquid. It is definitely a learning process figuring out what foods you simply cannot tolerate. I find if I chew extremely well and take tiny bites that I eat just about anything but breads (and scrambled eggs, lol). Leftover reheated meats seem to toughen up and cause problems also.

brendab, I cant eat scrambled eggs in the morning, ever. Boiled are fine though.

I can relate, a 1/2 piece of pizza about killed me 3 weeks after my surgery which was probably to early, But wow. had to take day off work very ill. All foods I find are a new experience and dont I will not go out to eat with friend and eat something new its what i have tried before. lot of trial and error, Good luck to all as we all need each other. Jules

mimIN, I felt very similar after my first fill. I wan't PBing but I would get unexpectedly painfully full/stuck after a few bites...and usually at lunch. For whatever reason (sitting in a chair, being blaoted from sitting, stress, slightly dehydrated, haven't had anything in the stoma for several hours) lunch was giving me some trouble. I started doing some warm mint tea before lunch and it helped a lot. That and really slowing down with the first 3-5 bites. After that I would take a little break and let it move down then start eating again. Usually once I got past the first 5 tiny bites I could eat bigger bites and speed up. Well 'speed' is an overstatement. I guess slow/normal would be the a better description. The first few bites being, 'feeding a baby bird' speed/quantity wise.

Hang in there. It can be so scary when you feel like something is wrong. But I think you are fine and normal -- just a little tight perhaps.

Just go with mushies for a few days to give things a rest, if it continues let me know and we'll do a tiny unfill.

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

I had my first fill last Thursday and on Sunday I had my first "stuck" feeling. It was quite painful and felt like I was punched in the chest. and after throwing up weird liquid substance the pain subsided after 20 minutes or so. The rest of the day I went on liquids and felt fine. Well Monday at lunch the same thing happened and again today at lunch. This is not happening in the morning or evening, just at lunch. I am terrified I have slipped or done damage but to get a floro it will be several hundreds of dollars out of pocket as I was banded in Mexico. Has anyone else experienced this?