Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about smoothies ans soups...

Why is it that the doctors tell us that smoothies and Soups will be "no no's"? Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Why is it that the doctors tell us that smoothies and Soups will be "no no's"? Please share your thoughts and experiences. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Is it possible you mis-understood them? Maybe got it backwards? Soups have been the mainstay of my diet since being sleeved. As long as they are (as I like to say) nutritionally relevant, soups and smoothies should be fine. Being liquid in nature, the pyloric valve should open relatively quick to move said contents in through the intestines, so I can't see where they would take up much space for long ...

My soups are packed with Protein and good carbs. I love them. My blood work is fantastic with everything being within the "normal" range. And I mean everything, which has never been true for me pre-sleeve, so ...

For the first little while, Soups and smoothies will be all you'll be able to keep down. However I was told that once I started on soft and minced foods. That Soup and smoothies were a no for meals. The doctor told me not to mix solids and liquid. Because the liquid takes up space in your small stomach, you want to leave room for the nutritious food you will start to eat. Also it could cause reflux. And that's why when you start eating soft/minced foods to wait 30 mins before and 60 mins after for having liquids. The timing varies from doctor to doctor so be sure to check with yours. And then Protein smoothies and other liquids can be consumed later on as Snacks but no for meals.

Generally smoothies are laden with sugar and are very high calorie. My NUT drills into us to not drink our calories.

I came here to say what Jersey Girl already did. You can make your own healthy smoothies using vanilla or strawberry Protein powder and a few frozen fruits and maybe some Greek yogurt thrown in. sugar free Torani syrups could be added too.

Soups can be Protein packed and provide lots of liquid. Most canned Soup, especially the creamed varieties are not the best choices.

I made my own ham and navy bean soup. Just take the leftover ham bone with some meat on it and add 1 pound of navy Beans that you have let soak. Cover it it chicken stock. Add chopped garlic, onion, celery and carrot, salt and pepper and simmer until the meat has fallen off the bone. Take a cup of the Beans and a bit of both and stick in in the blender. Pour back in the pot and stir. DINNER!!! or Breakfast or lunch or snack ...

It's always better for us if we do it ourselves. That's what I think anyway. This way you know exactly whats going in.

I agree completely with CatTracks. I make these things myself from scratch and are not sugar laden, but rather healthy, nutritious meals. This can be done.

I agree, homemade Soups and smoothies can be very healthy. I make Soup a lot. It is packed with Protein and veggies. I don't think I could have gotten through the first couple month post op without homemade blended soups. I use an immersion blender to make the veggies smooth after cooking for awhile in chicken broth. You can add unflavored Protein Powder for extra protein too. Maybe the Nut was just referring to high fat canned soups and sugary smoothies?