Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get it all in?

Hi, i am 6 wks out. Really having trouble getting prot and Water in. I am supposed to get min 60g prot, most days i only manage 50 and that's a struggle. Same with fluids, i usually run 8 to 10 oz short. At this point the goal is to get prot from foods, and wean down to one or no prot drinks. Seems here aren't enough hours n the day!! My dr's rule is stop drinking 30 min before a meal, no drinking with a meal, and wait 30 mins after! I've yet to eat more than 1/4c at a time. Can't do eggs, or most dairys, having trouble with denser meats like HB. I get STUFFED after a couple bites or drinks. My paperwork says, " sfop eating or drinking when you feel full!" so i'm totally confused and feeling very defeated. Feeling like the wt loss is very slow.. I've lost around 34lbs since surg10/25. Sw 300/age 50/F/5'10"/ CW 266. I walk, but My back bothers me a lot so not exercising as much as i should. Thanks for reading and any info you might offer.

You aren't failing and certainly don't feel defeated! You are doing great. Keep striving for 60g of Protein and more fluids. You will get there eventually. You should stop eating when you feel full.

This might help - go back to drinking a Protein filled shake in the morning to get in your fluids and protein. Then, move on to more solid foods for the day.

As far as the weight loss, 34lbs in six weeks is wonderful. You are probably thinking that you could have done the same thing on a crash diet, right? Or you have probably lost 34lbs really quick in the past, and you were hoping for a lot more. So was I. That is usually the point were I would give up because I didn't lose 50lbs in one month. Then, I would gain it all back. One of the great things about being sleeved is that this is truly just the beginning. You can't quit and gain it all back. In another 6 weeks, you will lose another big chunk. Judge in seasons and not weeks. When I was five months out and 60lbs down and could look back at my success, I realized that I should have never worried about how much I was or wasn't loosing in those first two months. I haven't been 60lbs thinner in years and years. No matter how fast or how slow, I am so happy.

Thank you so much, Sunny. I've been have a shake everyday, it's supposed to use half scoop prot but i bumped to whole scoop. You have a good point about the wt loss. Thanks again, i feel better already!

I double up on Protein powder. I just can't eat so much Protein. So I get 40g in my morning shake alone. Then, I just eat protein first the rest of the day. If I make it to 60, then great. If I don't, I will live even if my hair falls out a little.

I promise that when you get further out and can look back, it will be a different world.

Are you in Dallas? I live in Fort Worth.

Good idea, i'll really up the powder. I'm such a rule follower i feel dumb i didnt domthat sooner. Duh. I am from Dallas, but lived in NY state for several yrs. My fam is still in DFW area. My brother lives in Carrollton, his wife's fam in NRH, and he has a farm in Joshua!! Miss me some TEXAS!!

If you are lucky you don't get it all in. Don't force it. I still to this day...18 months out maybe can drink 24 oz of Fluid during the day. I am pregnant now so it has gone up, but do worry about anything...just lose!

I can't possibly get all my Protein in without a shake or yogurt. I add beneprotein to my yogurt to bump it up. Put yourself on a schedule (with a timer if needed) and stick to that schedule of eating, waiting, drinking, eating, waiting, drinking... you get the picture.

It will become habit after a while and you won't need the timer.

It often takes months to reach your nutritional goals every day. I couldn't do it without shakes which is why I urge everyone to find one they like. If you don't like them mixed with milk try coffee or tea instead. But find one you like, because you're going to rely on them to hit your Protein and calorie goals for a while. I am more than two years out and still have a shake a day most days - I mix with coffee most of the time.

Worry more about building good eating habits than hitting doctor stated goals. Drink a shake a day, maybe two if eating is very difficult but drinking isn't too hard. Track calories and log your food. Get a good feel for where you're at and what you're eating. Focus on Protein, then good quality carbs and real fats. Eat a balanced diet that you can keep down and keeps you from feeling deprived. As time passes you'll find your capacity will increase, too.

Eventually time will pass and you'll realize that you're easily hitting those goals. For the time being, relax, let your body heal and go slowly.

I keep a cup of drink with me and if I'm not eating I'm sipping on a drink, around the clock. Getting enough Water is really important and it takes effort!

This is normal. You'll get past this stage before you know it.

Oh, and your loss isn't slow at all. I lost, on average, just over six pounds a month. Not everyone drops 100 pounds in six months - many more of us lose at a slower and more reasonable pace, and there is nothing wrong with that.

~Cheri