Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is Mexico Safe, where?

Can I go alone for the surgery journey?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Can I go alone for the surgery journey?

• Definetely not
    • Mobility will be hard
    • If healthy to start, maybe
    • With a few days of rest first, why not

Hello everyone, I am looking to pay cash for the Lap Band and the internet took me to TJ. Sites for Dr. Kuri and Dr. Romano keep appearing in my search. Anyone have good, bad or insights to share. My BMI is 45. Thanks CJay :biggrin1:

I would like in implore you to just check out Dr. Sanchez in Monterrey Mexico. I went to him and several on here did and the hospital is much bigger then the one in TJ and Dr. Sanchez has done 7000 surgeries. I know 5 people personally that have went to him and we are all doing great. He charges 8500, which includes everything and free fills for life. PM me if you would like his website, and no I don't work for him, LOL, just very, very pleased with his work.

Good luck on your search,

Sherri

I didn't use the Dr.'s you mentioned, but did have a surgeon in Mexico. I feel like I could have easily managed it alone, the surgeon I chose, took very good care of me, and picked me up at the airport, then drove me to the hospital, to the motel, picked me up for surgery, and after a couple of days drove us back to the airport. The worst part was getting to my car AT the airport!!!

I think it is very possible! Would be glad to answer any ????

Good Luck!

Kat

Yes I highly reccommend Tijuana obesity control centre.com Dr. Ortiz did my surgery Aug 8 I am having very satisfying results. Clinic is cleaner than most Canadian hospitals and they do truly look after their clientel. I have nothing on the negative to report Iwas so impressed. ABSOLUTEL AWESOME!!

I went to TJ to Dr. Ortiz and they were great. I went alone. Yes, it was great. However, I did have a bit of a problem. I woke up with hiccups and my band slipped due to this unfortunate event. I could not swallow much liquid at a time. I mean, no more than about a half cup per hour of liquid or it would come up. So, I had to stay and get a second surgery...........and they took great care of me. They charged me nothing for another surgery another two days and nights in the hospital then, another night in the hotel and did not charge me an extra dime!!!!! Tell me a U.S. doctor that would do that. Dr. Martinez came out the night before my second surgery to check on me around 10:00 at night. I can not imagine being in better hands. God bless you all...........Wild.

I am going to be banded 10/24/06 by Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana, Mexico. I have complete confidence in Dr. Ortiz. Not only will he meet with you and give you a free consultation to answer any of your questions, he has trained many of the surgeon's in the United States. In fact, he trained the local doctor here in Las Vegas, Dr. Barry Fisher and he trained my hometown hospital, Hoag Hospital, in Newport Beach, California. He is also a proctoring doctor for Innamed, the manufacturer that makes the only FDA approved band in the United States. He has performed several thousand lap band surgeries.

Search your physician outside of the U.S. just as you would your physician in the U.S., visit the clinic and see what is going on. Another reason why I chose Dr. Ortiz was the physicians who have provided testimonials on his web page. One doctor who was banded by Dr. Ortiz now operates his own band surgery center in the United States. When I looked at the testimonials, I dug underneath them to see if the physicians were trained medical doctors, licensed in their respective states, or if they were bogus Md's. I was very happy with the results.

What you give up by going to Mexico for surgery is your right to sue a doctor for malpractice and to recover money from their malpractice insurance carrier for your pain and suffering. It is that clear. Dr. Ortiz told me that his malpractice insurance in the U.S. would cost $250,000/year. I am reasonably confident that each of us who investigates lap band surgery in the U.S. and attends a lap band "seminar" does so because the U.S. doctor is probably required to hold this seminar by their malpractice insurance company. Note that the seminars very clearly show you the risks associated with the surgery, mortality rates and other negative side effects. That's not a doctor talking, that's an insurance agency protecting itself. Also, I do not like the idea that I need a psych eval and to pass all the other hoops required in the U.S. for surgery. Again, that's the insurance company putting road blocks in your way to this surgery. I'm a mature adult. Why do I need a psychologist to confirm that this surgery is good for me. I can make that decision on my own. I am an attorney, so I am particularly incensed when an insurance company makes me do something so they can attempt to deny me benefits that I pay for.

There is my response. Sorry for being so long winded. Good luck with your search.

L. Conant

I am going to be banded 10/24/06 by Dr. Ortiz. Conant
Like several others I was banded on 10.16.06 - one week ago by Dr. Ortiz. His facility is state of the art. My mother an RN here in California went with me (my spouse had an emergency at work to deal with)and was astounded by the staff, the care and the surgical facilities. My surgery was a success and I will be going for a fill in 5 weeks. He is a Proctor for Inamed, the lap band manufacturer, and has trained many surgeons here in the states. Read his C.V. on his website and you will understand why I chose him.

I am not associated with Obesity Control Center in any way other than being a satisfied patient. Good luck in your decision making process! CalKev

:clap2: I only have wonderful things to say about Dr. Ortiz I actually was banded the same day as Kevin - there were five of us there that day and my surgery was to be the 17th of Ocotber and they had a cancellation so I asked and they took a little while to respond but by the time I was done with all of my preop they decided that I could have the surgery that day wooo hooo- it was wonderful- had a extra day of recovery at the hotel - and they did call the hotel and check on me - I was piscked up at the airport and taken back by thier transprotation and I can ony agree with what kevin has said above ---hope this helps .....CYNDI in AZ:clap2:

I was banded by Dr. Kuri and think I made the best choice, but then again I have never met the other surgeons. I did the Mexico stuff alone, but flew with my family who stayed in CA with my in-laws. It all worked extremely well. My husband did all the luggage toting for me so I wouldn't strain a stitch.