Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello From Tulsa, Oklahoma

Hello all, I've just joined the forum. I've been out looking and searching for any information I could find on Lap Band Surgery, and trying to find a support group, looks like I found one.

I don't have a surgery date yet, but I go to my seminar 11/11/06. I'm excited. I'm hoping to have my surgery in January. I first was looking into Gastric Bypass, I work with several women that have had it and they look awesome now after 1 year. But my husband is so against it, I could never talk him in it. So I was going to go thru it anyway, and just not tell him, but one of the girls I work with told me that there could be some serious complications, she did not have any, but a friend of hers had it done 30 days ago and is still in ICU. She told me that her kidneys are shutting down and they don't think she will make it. It really scared me, she said I really didn't have much to lose and suggested the lap band, so, that started the Quest to find out as much as I could about the lap band. Now I'm more than convinced it is the right choice for me.

I am not telling anyone about the surgery - I plan on taking a "trip" out of town - thats when the surgery will be performed. I have my reasons for not telling my family, or anyone, so I'm glad I found this forum so I can share it with someone.:)

Hello from Oklahoma City...just wanted to say good luck with your journey...I am 70 lbs down and although my journey has been slow I would do it again in a heartbeat

Thank you Cocakk - I know it will be slow, but I know it works if you follow the program. At least from everything I've read - it looks like it works. lol.

Congratulations on 70 lbs!!!! That is GREAT! When were you banded?

Hi and congrats on your decision. It will be the best decision of your life. I was banded 3 months ago and have lost real close to 50 pounds and knock on wood have had NO problems. I had mine done in Mexico and am so pleased with my new tool. I agree with your husband, 2 women who had the surgery here where I live have died, and they were young women, such a shame. I was way to scared to have the bypass. Good luck on your journey and keep us informed and welcome to lapband world.

I was banded March 2005....took me a looooooong time to get restriction...I need fills all the time:)

Hi Welcome

My uncle is in Tulsa, he is the President of TCC ( Tulsa Community College)

I wish you the best, hope everything turns out well for you. The band was the best tool I ever hadfor weight loss and I tried everything. It works if you work with it. This is a great place for support and useful info. Glad you are here :D

Thank you all for the welcomes and all the information - it is so encouraging to see everyone's progress!!!!!! I am so proud of each and everyone of you and you should be too! I hate when people say, "Oh, they had WLS thats how they lost all their weight", they seem to down play the success people have when they have WLS.

Anyhow, I'm looking so forward to my seminar next month.

Sunshine, good luck with the surgery. You never said if your husband will talk about the band with you. Is he more open to that than the bypass? I agree with the other posters. I work in the medical field, and while so many people do have good results with the bypass, I PERSONALLY know or have met through working at the hospital 7 people who have either died or are having complications with digestion, hair loss, adhesions, vomiting, diarrhea, or all of the above. My neighbors wife died 2 years ago, my co workers daughter who is only 29 has lost her job, her kids, her insurance, her husband, and can't hold a job due to complications. She can only drink a few sips at a time, cant keep solids down at all, and since she has no insurance, she is always in the ER. Her surgery was probably 2.5 years ago, and still all these problems. The people I have met through the hospital, one died, 2 others I don't know what happened to, and one other has dumping syndrome ALL the time.

I wouldn't have the bypass. Maybe if I was 600 lbs. I think the band is great so far. I only had it 11-1-06, so still doing mushies. But I am down 20 lbs. I went back to work in 5 days.

Kristi