Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

$ For Protein Shakes Etc?

Aproximately how much should I expect to spend on Protein Powder, Vitamins and all other necessities in the first few weeks?

I'm trying to get as close as I can to what everything might cost in the end.

Thanks

Honestly, I haven't really kept close track of what it's cost me in actual dollars for Protein powder/vitamins etc...but I can say that the money you save on food will pay for your supplement needs.

That makes sense. I'm just trying to be financially aware, ahead of time.

We get food stamps though, and I can't buy Protein powder with them. It's only 4 weeks though, it can't be too much. (Big picture).

besides costs, it's also really important that you find a Protein Shake you like, not one you can just tolerate. My nut had me try them out 3 months ago and it took me 2 months to find one that was both filling and tasty. This is for preop purposes. They range pretty far in price as well. Body Fortress (i think) from Walmart is $15-20 but the Isopure that I buy is $45. If you haven't tried them there are many websites that offers single servings to try. I bought about 15 from one place. It's actually cheaper in the long run rather than buying a whole tub of something you've never tried and when you're talking about $40--80 for Protein, it's worth the cost of a single sample. I kept my invoice and wrote down my feelings about protein content and taste. I tried one every day until i found one i liked.

besides costs' date=' it's also really important that you find a Protein shake you like, not one you can just tolerate. My nut had me try them out 3 months ago and it took me 2 months to find one that was both filling and tasty. This is for preop purposes. They range pretty far in price as well. Body Fortress (i think) from Walmart is 15-20 but the Isopure that I buy is 45. If you haven't tried them there are many websites that offers single servings to try. I bought about 15 from one place. It's actually cheaper in the long run rather than buying a whole tub of something you've never tried and when you're talking about 40--80 for Protein, it's worth the cost of a single sample. I kept my invoice and wrote down my feelings about protein content and taste. I tried one every day until i found one i liked.[/quote']

I heard that your taste buds can change drastically post op! Didnt happen to you?

How do you mix them? Milk, what? Gosh, I have much to learn, huh?

i felt the same way, if you'd asked me a year ago about any of this stuff I'd look at you funny. yep your tastes can change post op, it's all a process.. You can mix them with milk but for preop diet, it's Water only (at least for diet according to my nut). after the Clear Liquids stage then you can do the milk and whatever else. Also keep in mind some have adverse reactions to Protein Drinks, like gas and bloating. I had this w/ muscle milk, which was tasty but for the rest of the day my stomach was a symphony.

I estimated that my shakes cost about $1 per serving when I get the large containers, so if I spend $38-$45 on one large container, then I know that will be $1 for every Breakfast, $1 for every lunch, $1 for every snack I have from that purchase. That is actually pretty economical if you only mix them with Water. If you decide to add soy milk or Crystal Light, etc. then the price goes up per serving.

I appreciate the replies, thank you!!

Isn't it whey Protein powder people have reactions to?

I really like my Olympian labs vanilla pea Protein Powder that I've been usin for a while in smoothies etc. it has 25g of protein/scoop. Right on!! Guess I'll have to try a few more for variety.

go to si03.com and go to nectar sample pack. you can buy 14 individual packets/flavors for $14.00 + 1.99 s/h (15.99 total) and you can try before committing to a tub. This is the cheapest for the sample packs only

Thanks for the tip!!

Don't forget about the cost of chewable/sublingual Vitamins that you have to take at least for the first 2 weeks. I did Bariatric Advantage, and the cost of one bottle each of Iron, Multivitamin, B12 and Calcium was around $80.00.