Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Edmonton...looking for follow up information

Hello everyone,

I am still in the research stage here. I am wondering about the waiting list at the Royal Alex in Edmonton and if anyone has any idea about how long it may take.

I want to know what is involved in a fill and where to get it done.

I am looking at Mexico and a Private clinic in Ontario. The clinic in Ontario is quoting $16000.00 and most Mexican clinics are $8000.00 US.

I am also looking for recommendations for clinics in Mexico.

Michelle

I think the wait in Edmonton is at least a year... AT least!

If you got it done in Edmonton, that's where you'd get your fills. Otherwise, if you went somewhere else, I'm not sure about Edmonton, but for sure in Calgary there's a few options for people to see for fills. Usually all that's involved is going into the doctors office/room, lying down on the exam table, he'll feel your stomach to see where your port is, he'll take a needle out, fill it with some saline, put the needle into your stomach, hopefully hit the port on the first try without too much trouble. He'll inject a little bit of saline into the port. (this is different for everyone, and also depends on what size of band you have) You probably won't feel anything or have any idea that he's done anything. You'll drink some Water, to make sure it goes down, and then you'll leave. If all goes smoothly, it probably won't take more than 5-10 minutes.

Which clinic are you looking at in Ontario? There's a couple to choose from.

Look around all over lapbandtalk, and you'll find info about Mexican surgeons, the good, and the bad. And ask more questions if you want :)

Hi Guys,

I’ve looked into this surgery over the last few days…I may be obsessed. The clinic I’ve looked into http://www.obesitysurgery.ca/ http://www.theplasticsurgeryclinic.com in Toronto has been very helpful and I’m confident that I’ve made the right decision. My surgery will be sometime in March ’07. If you’d like to explore this avenue, please go to the link. Here are the steps re: surgery at the Surgical Weight Loss Centre.

· Go to the linked site mentioned above

· Read through all the info

· If you need clarification on something, send them an email or give them a call

· My questions were (probably the most asked question)” 1# How much and must I sign away my first born?”, I also wanted to know 2# the size of the scar and 3# the amount of time I’d need to recover before going back to work.

· Answers provided within 24hrs: 1# 16-17k, 2# scar of about 1-2” with 4 small circular indents around the scar, 3# about 7-10 days.

· Since I don’t have piles of $ stashed away under my mattress, I contacted Medicard http://www.medicard.com/ (link also found on the site)

· Completed the application and received an answer the next day. (unusually proficient in my opinion)

· The max the financial company will lend is 15K so I dipped into my savings for the rest.

My process for those who’d like to know:

· Complete the Patient Questionnaire and send it on in.-(said with a Texas twang)

· Check with your own Dr. re. a full blood test to make sure there aren’t any secondary issues causing the weight issue. Discussed the surgery with my Dr. My Dr. will also write a prescription for pain med's and send it into my pharmacy incase I need to be on them longer.

· Once you decide to go ahead, you must make an appointment to speak with Dr. Cobourn ($200.00 –if you go ahead with the surgery the amount will be deducted from the total cost of the surgery. (this appointment is running at about 2 weeks to chat)

· To book the surgery you must pay $500.00 to hold the date of surgery. (non-refundable if cancelled) (surgery dates are running at 6-8 weeks or better)

· 2 weeks before you have the surgery you MUST be on a strict liquid diet. Click for info www.Optifast.com.

· You MUST meet with the Dr. the day before (probably to make sure we are really fat. There are so many imposters! This is the only time when being a “chub” works in our favour.:hungry: ) And plan to stay about 3-4 days after to ensure there aren’t any problems or issues.

· You MUST have someone with you those first few days or you can pay for a nurse to stay with you. (my sister is coming with me)

· See the site for local Hotels near the centre.

· I’ve booked two tickets with www.westjet.com –cost about $1500.00

· Head back to work when you’re ready…I’m not telling anyone at work about this surgery. I have my reasons. There is so much shame around being overweight that I’d rather just go through the transformation with my family and close friends support. I’m sure there are people out there that agree.

· Lapband Fills are done by a Dr. in Calgary.

I’ve been saying “I’ll start my diet tomorrow” for 15 years. And I’ve gained over 100lbs with this ridiculous plan. I’m in my 30’s and have wasted too much time-not going here or there due to being so uncomfortable in my own skin. I’ve also taxed my body by taking all sorts of meds to help with the day to day aches and pains.

Wishing you all great success and peace with wherever your journey takes you.

Michelle

Hi Michelle... I'm sure lots of people looking in to going with either Dr. Cobourn or Dr. Mumford will find that helpful. (there's lots of us here who already made that decision!)

Welcome, and feel free to post and ask away!!

Mandi

Hey Michelle, I too have just gone through that same process with Dr. Coburns office. My surgery is booked for Feb 14. Looking forward to seeing you around the website. I am from Edmonton.

Cheers,

Becca

LadyBugP,

I too am on the waiting list for the clinic at the clinic in Edmonton, as as well as the one in Calgary (Dr.Mitchell's).

I called about wait times for both of them and was told that it would be about 1.5-2 years before I got a consult from the time of refferal, and then at least another year before surgery.

As a result, I have decided to pay for it myself and add those years to my life rather than waiting for a system that views my problem as a lifestyle choice. I have a phone consult with Dr. Coburn next week.

Gaffer

Good for you Gaffer, You'll find Dr.Coburn and his staff very nice and helpful. I am also self paying, I didn't even bother checking out insurance as I knew I would have to wait way too long and probably wouldn't even be approved.

Good for you Gaffer, You'll find Dr.Coburn and his staff very nice and helpful. I am also self paying, I didn't even bother checking out insurance as I knew I would have to wait way too long and probably wouldn't even be approved.

My family Dr. actually brought up the WLS route for me. I know that I would have been aproved as my BMI is about 47, but I dont want to jump through all the hoops before they send me to surgury. I have been jumping through hoops my entire life with my weight and nothing has stuck. I am a new father, and I want to be around to see the milestones in my sons life.

This way, I am in control, even if it is going to cost me. Oh well, I guess I will just put off building that garage for another year.

Gaffer

LOL @ Mandi.

Don't let her scare ya off Gaffer!!!

Welcome to the Canuck Corner!!!

:welcome2: