Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shopping!

I know that a number of you lucky Canuckis come down to Toronto to have the operation and to have your fills done. I also read that you like to shop while you are down here in The Big Smoke. Then there is this business of hitting a NSV and as we all know, a lot of those Non scale Victories have to do with our clothes falling off our backs (or our bums, more like). And most of us who are posting here are women and most women do like to shop. I was shopping in a Winner's store today and I managed to strike pay dirt. This put Green in a good mood. Now it strikes me that it might be fun to have a thread devoted to the subject of shopping, the good, the bad, and the ugly.

There is much that can be said about the bad and the ugly, especially when a grrl is not a size 12 or less. Green has been feeling bitter about the lack of choice in interesting clothes in larger sizes for years now. I also have a bone to pick with shoe sizes since I take size drag queen! This is another ugly issue.

But I continue to want to shop, and sometimes I find good stuff. It ain't all tears of frustration, ya know. And this is why I thought that this thread might be both a way for us to vent and to have fun. Alors, voila le thread shopping, eh.

Now that I am fitting into smaller clothes, that I can buy at the cheaper stores, I have a hard time not buying too much. I have not been able to buy outside the Plus size in years, and now that I can, I wanna!!! But I still have a long way to go, and see no sense in spending a fortune on clothes that with any luck will not fit in a couple of months...BUT...I am thrilled to have this dilemma!!! A year ago, I thought I would die being at least as fat as I was or worse...I had lost hope. Now I found a way (love my band!!) and shopping is FUN again!!!

Kat

speaking of shopping, have you heard the rumour that zellers is turning into target! ooooh i get all flushed and tingly at the idea!

I vowed that I would not shop for clothes for a while. I have many sizes of clothes stored away and that should do me for a while.... We'll see how long that lasts

Has anyone thought of a clothing exchange? I need business clothes, and can't afford a new wardrobe every time I change a size. We all are different sizes when we start, and hit every size on the way down. Perhaps we could look at getting together every 3 or 4 months to "shop" through our clothes we have shrunk out of.

Yah, Green loves Winners but she was beginning to feel mighty p*ssed off about the selection available in la zone big grrl. In fact this zone was impossible to find in the designer Winner's in the la-di-dah area of Bloor Street. And Green was kinda screwed when it came to finding giant grrl shoes for her giant grrl feet, too. Hmmph! Snort! (She did buy a really nice designer bag there.)

As for Zeller's transforming itself into Target (Targay, en francais), I am excited. This is a great store from everything that I have heard.

I haven't heard that rumour either. Hmmmm.

Would be nice tho, no Tarjays in Canada yet!!! And I looooove them there stores!

I'm for it!

I'm addicted to cotton Ginny i could open my own store in my closet we don't have to many place to shop here in Whitehorse we have Walmart and reitmans and i don't like the stuff there, Im planning on getting the surgery next year :) my husband and i are going to Vancouver next month so Im going to be so happy and prod of myself if i can leave Vancouver with only spending $500 in that store.

Winners in my area is not very good.

Some Winner's are better than others. I believe they do a reading of the local demographics. In general the ones in Toronto are much better than the suburban stores. I was once in a suburban store and everything there was made of synthetic materials. The designer Winner's near Yorkville has no fat grrl section which drives me nuts. On the other hand they usually have fabulous bags and their jewellery section is great.

I almost always buy my bedsheets at Winner's because I like high thread count and low prices. I can walk to the one in my local mall - it's where my gym and Walmart's is - so I can kill a bunch of my needs all at once. I once phoned Winner's headquarters to complain when I thought that the quality of the stuff in my local store was declining. I told them that a lot of Yuppies were moving into the area. :heh:

There is a Cotton Ginny in the mall and that is another store that is kind to the bigger woman. I do a lot of shopping there, too. Excercise can cost me a lot of money, eh.:phanvan

The other day while shopping at A&E (Addition Elle) I was informed that they have "changed" their points system. Apparently people weren't getting their gift certs. in the mail as they should have been when they got to a certain level of points (I know I never did despite prob owning shares in that store by now!!)....so they have re-vamped everything and now it will start "working" the way it was supposed to.

Ahem.

I asked about all the points that have already been accumulated. And, with a smile, she said, "oh they will be lost, everyone starts over...starts fresh". She said it as if it was a good thing. WTF?????? Nice. Really nice. So, due to THEIR computer (or otherwise) mistakes they do a whole new system and we all lose our points. I dunno 'bout anyone else but I have a bought a LOOOOOOOOT of stuff there over the years; and we all know it ain't cheap. I mean...realistically...how hard would it have been to transfer over your points?

F**KIN' ridiculous. Pretty convenient for them, wouldn't ya say?

NOT impressed. I won't be shopping there anymore (soon I won't have to anyways!).

OOOOH, yeah...and guess what?! They have now started carrying size 12!!!! Size 12????!!!!! C'mon....12 is NOT a plus size. I don't even consider 14 a plus size. But 12???? So, now that means they will carry less REAL plus sizes so that they can accommodate the 12s. What is next? 10s? Soon the normo sizes will take over the A&E store if they continue this trend. WTF?

Yes, I WANT to be and strive to be a normo size (cause gawd knows my mental state will never be normo!).....but even when I am normo....there should still be true plus size stores around for everyone else strugglin.

Anyways....my shopping vent for today!

See whatcha started Green?

:phanvan