Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I finally think I have it figured out. Today I ate sushi and then ate a couple of fries. I mean I ate a small fry. It was one of those days when I was so hungry I just took what I could get. NEVER AGAIN!!! EVER EVER EVER! Basically I ate WAY TOO MANY CARBS...This is not dumping. I thought it was caffeine a few months back...but it isn't. So yeah...I will never eat a carb heavy meal again!

Reactive hypoglycemia occurs in people who do not have diabetes. It's a different type of hypoglycemia than the one that affects people who have diabetes. Although the causes are unrelated, the symptoms of both kinds of hypoglycemia are the same.

Symptoms of hypoglycemia:

• Trembling or weakness
  • Lack of coordination
  • Drowsiness or confusion
  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Double vision
  • Convulsions or unconsciousness

What is the cause of reactive hypoglycemia?

The exact cause of reactive hypoglycemia is still unknown, but there are several hypothesis that might explain why it can happen.

• Sensitivity to epinephrine, a hormone that is released in the body during times of stress.
  • Insufficient glucagon production. Glucagon is also a hormone which has the opposite effect of insulin. It raises blood glucose levels.
  • Gastric surgeries can also cause reactive hypoglycemia because food may pass too quickly through the digestive system.
  • Enzyme deficiencies can also cause reactive hypoglycemia, but these are rare and occur during infancy.

How to manage reactive hypoglycemia

• Limit foods with a high sugar content, especially on an empty stomach. For example, eating a doughnut first thing in the morning can trigger a hypoglycemic episode.
  • Eat small, frequent meals and Snacks.
  • Eat a varied, high Fiber diet, with adequate servings of Protein, whole grain carbs and vegetables, fruits, and dairy foods
  • Carry pieces of hard candy with you, for those times when you feel your blood sugar dropping.

What to do if you are having a hypoglycemic episode.

• Eat or drink something that is a fast sugar source, such as orange juice, regular soda, a few pieces of hard candy, or sugar cubes. This should relieve the symptoms within 15 minutes.
  • Avoid choosing chocolate as a sugar source. The fat in chocolate makes it absorb more slowly and it won't raise your blood sugar up as quickly as you need it too.
  • Make sure to eat a small balanced meal after the symptoms are gone. This will prevent another blood sugar spike and consequent drop.

I am totally confused by this. Now, isn't sushi fish? Or was it wrapped with rice? I know that a french fry is a carb. To me, hypoglycemia is when you have really low blood sugar. When I eat I sometimes have sxs listed above when eating very little to no carbs. This freaks me out.

Thank you for this info. I think I have to have a more balanced diet and add a few extra carbs to my diet to avoid these sxs. :)

Too many carbs cause your sugar to spike...then when you crash you get the shakes. I had Too much sugar (carbs turn to sugar) on an empty stomach. I just broke out in a sweat, started shaking, feeling light headed and just overall yucky. I ate a little bit of sugar to balance me and then protien to make sure I didn't crash again. It is not fun.

Sushi is mostly rice.

Thank you for posting this. I have been having a really difficult time with my glucose readings over the past month. My readings have been so irratic. Sometimes it is after I eat a healthy Breakfast of oatmeal and protien powder, other times it is prior to a meal and I have not eaten in 2-3 hours. I am 11 months out of surgery. It is nice to know that I am not alone in this issue, i wish it would go away! Do you still have issues with it?

I have upcoming doctors appointments. I am not sure if i should talk to the dietician or the surgeon.

Thanks!

Amanda

I am totally confused by this. Now, isn't sushi fish? Or was it wrapped with rice?

Sushi is fish with rice. Sashimi is just fish.

I have not had an episode in awhile. I enhaled a Frappachino awhile back and got the shakes. I also noticed that a cup of OJ has more sugar than a Frap, but when I drink OJ I don't have that feeling. I have been able to eat more...even before I got pregnant, so things were not on such a drastic level. I am sure things will pan out in a few months for you, but oatmeal...even with protien powder is something I would use during maintenance...not in your weight loss stage. You should be eating eggs and if you are vegan than you need to eat some tofu and Beans. Wheat, bread, oats, sugar, flour...You really shouldn't touch these.