Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Poll: Time off between surgery and work

How long between surgery and work?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How long between surgery and work?

So this has been a common theme in many posts lately so I thought a poll was in order. I'm not sure if it's already been done, but either way, deserves a revisit!:nervous

I selected to have the responders, and their time off, listed so that those with specific questions about returning after a certain length of time can perhaps ask questions directly to those lapsters. Hope no one minds.

Good idea! I was actually surprised by how crappy I felt after surgery. I had planned on and requested a whole week off but was hoping 4 days would have been enough as I had a lot going on at work. Turned out to be 9 days before I could go back.

I've taken two weeks off. Mostly because I have the time available and I'm keeping it a secret from the people at work. I'll let you know how I feel next week. lol

I had my surgery on a Thursday and I was back to work on Monday. I have a sit down job so it was okay except for the bending for awhile.

Josephine

I guess it always takes a man to organize these things correctly. As I did a few months ago on the last one of these "How Long to Get Back to Work?" type threads, I will suggest again that the responders mention what kind of work they do when then tell how long it took to get back to work.

Someone who is an executive and sits at a desk all day may be able to return to work in 1/10th of the time of a person who works stocking shelves for Home Depot or Wal-Mar, or someone who loads luggage onto a plane or train.

A high school teacher may be able to return to work quicker than a pre-school teacher. Except for the the cases that have made the news lately, high-school teachers don't pick-up their students. :P

I had surgery on Thursday and will be back at work Monday morning.

I have a desk job and work from home, so tomorrow morning, I'll walk from my second floor bedroom to my first floor office, sit down and start typing....not terribly taxing!! :-)

Had surgery on Tuesday, back to work on Monday. Desk job in commercial insurance. Files are heavy sometimes, but a friend carried those for me for a couple of days.

It took me a week to even feel human again...and another few days to feel strong enough to work (I picked the 10 days option on the poll). I have a desk job. I also know I have a low tolerance for pain. Plus, I didn't want to be at work while still on painkillers.

Had my surgery on Wed, back to work on Monday. Could've been back on Saturday, but office was closed! I felt great! I was surprised at how easy it was. JOb is 50% at a desk, 50% on my feet. I had been exercising for months prior to surgery, I think that had a lot todo with my stamina and recovery time.

I voted for the more than 3 weeks, but only because I am a teacher and had my surgery at the beginning of the summer.

Physically, I felt good enough to go back to work within just a few (3-5)days though.

I went to work the next week for a half a day but I work a desk job and didn't work too hard. I'm also laid off because I work at a golf course so other then a little paper work now and then I don't officially go back for another 3 months.

I'm planning on taking two weeks based on past experience with laproscopic surgery.

A couple of years ago I had an exploratory laproscropy done where someone poked around my reproductive organs after I had a cyst rupture (though I feel explode would be a better term) and the pain didn't go away (cause the rupture damaged a nerve ending in my abdominal wall which the lapropscry did not pick up).

Anyway, I was surprised how sore I was, how long it took me to recover from that procedure. Laughing and so forth was excruitiating for days, and it was months before I was completedly healed from the incision (though today I don't even have a scar).

Now I know this is a different procedure and I was extremely ill back then, but I figure with my fibro I am a slow healer. So its going to be at least two weeks in bed for me. After that I will see how I feel.