Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Making The Right Decision?

I am starting to get really nervous about whether or not I am making the right decision to have the Sleeve or not. Im starting to think I wont lose the weight as quick as I would like to and its going to discourage me. I dont know if I feel like this just because surgery is in 30 days and Im just nervous all together ... or what. I have done so much research and I have seen success stories on here about people so I dont know why I am feeling this way. Maybe because Ive seen a lot more people with the RNY lose it so much quicker and Im feeling like maybe I should go that route. I was extremely happy with my decision to end up going with sleeve a few weeks ago....Idk why I feel this way now. Help!? :(

My surgery is on Tuesday and I am sooooo nervous. I cant sleep at night thinking about it. I think its completely normal.

My sleeve 09/27 in I feel same way you do im so scared I dont know what do my self but im pray on it.

Sleevers are already losing the weight much quicker than regular dieting. Plus, the faster you lose the more loose skin you have when you're done. Malabsorption is neat in that it helps people lose weight, but you also lose a significant part of your intestines that help you absorb important Vitamins. That means you will likely have to increase the number of supplements you take. It's a personal decision, and RNY may be right for some people, but I guess the big points for me were:

1. No intestinal rerouting with VSG

2. Decreased ghrelin production - no hunger makes things a lot different

3. Generally no dumping with VSG - this sounds like it would make me miserable at work/school

4. Intact pyloric sphincter - this takes away the risk of stoma stricture/dilation

5. Fewer long term food/medicine restrictions

6. Delayed reactive hypoglycemia in RNY patients - scares me!

7. Losing weight fast can mean looking unhealthy even though you're skinny - someone called them "fat skinny people" on a thread the other day, which seemed to fit. People who lose weight but a lot of it is muscle, not necessarily the healthiest thing.

I guess #1 is the biggest for me. Apparently I'm okay with the doctor taking out the majority of my stomach, but I really don't want them touching my intestines (Is that silly? =p). Maybe make a list of pros and cons for each and see how you feel about it after you lay out your options? You are not forced to have the surgery on the date you're scheduled if you are not sure/aren't ready. If you need to, give it some time. Maybe it is just nerves - I was scared as crap before the surgery and second guessed myself on and off, and now that I'm post-op, I'm really happy I did it.

Feel better!

Jessica

It is a big decision to make I had the surgery in Mexico on July 7 2012 I have had great success as with all of the surgeries it is not a quick fix it is a tool to help you lose weight. It will depend on how you work the sleeve to lose weight. If you stick to the protiens first followed by your fruits and veggies with carbs being last you should do fine with it and remember it is not a race it can take up to 18 months to reach your goal although it can be much less.

I started at 280 pounds and now I am 210 I was wearing 46 waist jeans and now I am wearing 34 waist. I am losing really good but i do stick to high protien first

I know of people that don't even come close to the lifestyle change they eat real food when suppose to be on Clear Liquids or over eat on portion sizes just make sure you are willing to make a commitment to you lifestyle change

You will be able to eventually be able to eat anything you want it will just be smaller portions.