Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is there the same amount of scars as lapband for laproscopic surgery? it looks like the pre-op and post-op diets are about the same, so I'm prepared for that. Guess the time off work will be longer than one week? how much time did most of you take off work? I think I have 7 days of vacation left - sick days used up already.

is the healing process longer than the band?

sorry new here and trying to get all the facts......before my last doctor appointment on Aug. 1. - thanks

My surgery was early on a Wednesday morning and I was back to work the followig Monday. I couldn't make the whole day on Monday and Tuesday, but by Wednesday was fine.

really??? that's pretty darn good, how encouraging.

I had my surgery this past Friday and I am going back to work on Monday so I took off just a little over a week. But I honestly could have gone back to work a couple of days ago if I had to.

This is a hard question to answer, because we all respond differently. I went in thinking I was going to have a 2.5 day hospital stay, but was there 4.5 days because I didn't respond well at first and had some rough nights. I also struggled with drinking at first. That first week and half was pretty challenging for me.

So, what I'm saying is, plan for more than being one of the lucky ones who bounce right back, just in case you aren't one of those people.

Oh, and I took an approved 3 week leave of absence from work. And I'm so glad I was able to do that, I know its not an option for everyone.

I agree with MorganK. I planned my surgery for the summer to have the entire summer to recuperate (I'm a teacher). Turns out I could've gone back in a couple of days if I needed to.

Sent from my iPad using VST

I had 5 incisions and I took 7 weeks off of work. I didn't want to go back till I started to eat normal. It was easier to make meals at home and not explain why I was eating broth. Although I had no complications I still get low on energy and take naps in the day.

I think you are going to have to play it by ear, try to stay positive. I had surgery on the 4th and I had a drain until the 13th. I spent 5 days in the hospital. You don't have any clue how extensive your surgery will be. Do you have extensive adhesions, what is your age, your health. I spent the better part of 2 weeks sipping, walking and I had a nap every single day even for a little while. I spent 5 days in the hospital, and I spent a week at home not able to sleep in my own bed and going down to the recliner every night.

Everyone is different. Try to stay positive and have that I think I can spirit, but don't compare yourself to others that could go back to work after a week if you can't.

Everybody is different and everyone heals differently and every surgery is NOT the same.

Best of luck and I hope your surgery is fast, easy and you feel fantastic right afterwards.

My surgery was a week ago and I am a teacher so I am off. My lower left incision is still pretty sore and am glad I have the time off to get used to all of this!!

you are very fortunate to be able to take so much time off. I think I have 7 vacation days left - so hoping for surgery around the end of August to incorporate the labor day holiday. My boss is aware and so is HR that i'm having the surgery, so if need be I can always take Short term disability.

looking forward to visiting with my surgeon Aug 1 and getting everything sent off for insurance approval. I have already double checked everything with my bariatric nurse through my insurance - so i've met all their requirements so approval should be pretty quick.