Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am considering getting the sleeve done and am just wondering how many of you regret the surgery? I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking what an absurd idea it is to cut out a perfectly good stomach just so I can lose weight. However, I woke up this morning thinking that its not such a bad idea. I have been overweight for most of my life and I just don't want to spend the rest of my life overweight. I've been dieting on and off for over 25 years without much success but yet getting the sleeve seems so drastic! Do any of you think that it was too drastic and regret having it done?

I regret not doing it when I was 22!! And actually the sleeve wasn't around back then-- so none whatsoever. I have never been happier. I love my sleeve

This very question is asked almost weekly here on the forum. Most respondents will say NO REGRETS - other than the obvious one of NOT DOING IT SOONER. Most ALL people have a good response form the surgery and accomplish a goal that was impossible to achieve on their own. I include my self in this group.

That being said there are a few people that have complications, some even dreadful and you will hear of an occasional death. THIS IS TRUE FOR ANY SURGERY, no mater how minor. I know of someone who was related to a person who developed a sever tooth abscess and after the tooth was pulled they could not get a handle on the infection. Despite IV antibiotics in the hospital the infection spread, hit their heart and a few days later they died - from a lousy tooth infection. EVERYTHING carries risk, the VSG is no exception.

I just had surgery on Monday and I can already tell its the best thing I have ever done for myself! If I could've controlled my portions and lost weight & kept it off, I wouldn't have done this. However, I couldn't so I had the surgery done. I know there is still a long road ahead for me, but I'm looking at this as my Portion Control tool and I'm excited for the road ahead of me.

That being said, this is not the route for everyone! You need to research it and think about it and talk to people about it & pray about it (if you're religious) and then decide what is best for you.

Sorry to have posted a common topic but I have since discovered the search feature. It seems to be a good decision for most of you but I never thought that I would make this decision and yet here I am seriously considering it. All of your success stories sure are encouraging! I've thought about the band but I don't want to bother with the maintenance or one surgery to put it on and another to take it off. If I am going to have surgery at all then I'm thinking that I should just get it over with. I'm just wondering if it will bother me that I can't ever have my stomach back?

Sorry to have posted a common topic but I have since discovered the search feature. It seems to be a good decision for most of you but I never thought that I would make this decision and yet here I am seriously considering it. All of your success stories sure are encouraging! I've thought about the band but I don't want to bother with the maintenance or one surgery to put it on and another to take it off. If I am going to have surgery at all then I'm thinking that I should just get it over with. I'm just wondering if it will bother me that I can't ever have my stomach back?

You will never want your stomach back, trust me! I can enjoy a slice of pizza-- just 1 feel completely satisfied, and be done. NOT 8 slices. And I maintain my weight and look good!!!!

Nope. I thought it was absurd as well, and somewhat against my loosely-based religious beliefs to get rid of something God gave me. But I also believe that it was my worst enemy in the battle to get healthy. There is a Bible verse that explains to cut off one's hand if that hand will cause the entire body to sin. I'm not that religious, but there was a lot of logic in that statement for me.

Now, at 3.5 months out -- I feel completely normal, like nothing has changed. My life goes on like it did before, without the big portions of guilt.

No regrets...none, nada, zip........and keep in mind, the sleeve isn't 'just to lose weight." The results are a lower weight of course, and you look better of course, but you either get rid of or avoid all the associated risks that come with being obese, or yo-yo dieting. I am almost at goal and still struggling with hip and knee problems because of the damage I did when I was heavy. The problems I have now are tolerable (and I walk/run 3 miles a day) but if I could have had this done in my 40's I would have in a second. This is your health and there is nothing more important.....the fun stuff (looking good, shopping, compliments) are all just the extras you get from this (seriously) life-saving surgery.

Good luck and as you can see, at least those of us who post on here are very happy!

Here I go being cliche', but I only regret not doing this sooner.

Not one regret! I feel completely normal at 13 weeks out, like I never had a surgery. I can eat whatever I want ( had a weird experience with a apple a few weeks back but ok with them now!) and know I will be ok cause I cannot eat much at one time. This surgery has completely changed the way I look at food now. I am loving my life...finally!

1 slice of pizza rather than 8 would be nice. Hunger is the reason that the liquid and low cal diets never work for me so it would be nice to get rid of the hunger issue. Thank you!

interesting perspective, emlefe...I suppose that my stomach does cause gluttony...I have also been wondering if God would have a problem with it...The scripture about whatever you obey becomes your master also reminds me that my stomach tends to be my master. Maybe its about time that I show my stomach who's boss!

Thank you, Queen of Crop. I have insulin resistance that I'm hoping that the sleeve will heal.

I'm just wondering if it will bother me that I can't ever have my stomach back?

LOL!! I wondered this, too. Now, 10 months post op, I don't want it back.

We all have our relationships with food. Mine was unhealthy, for sure. I went for the quantity and snacking, not necessarily the unhealthy. After the surgery, I was a little sad that I could not gorge myself like I used to, but then I was physically becoming the person I had always envisioned myself to be. At that point, I was so happy that my relationship with food had changed.

Yes, I still eat. Often. But the quantity is soooo much less. With the sleeve, it still gives me the feeling of satiety, which is what I always yearned for pre-sleeve. For me, this is exactly what I needed.

I would love some input on this particular worry -- will I be able to follow the restrictions -- I mean I have never been able to follow a diet in the past. What will make this different?

thank you for the support, Musharooni and kimmy! You all are really helping to strengthen my resolve!

I do need a new relationship with food, PdxMan. Thank you for the thought to mull over.

bogeydog, I also have some concern about whether I will really be able to abide by the restrictions?

NO regrets except not doing it sooner. It has not been an easy journey but I am sooooo happy with my decision.