Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What do others do?

My Dr. wants me to exercise 7 days per week for one hour a day. :omg: I really need to increase my exercise as I am not doing anything on a regular basis. I am wondering what others are doing and how often? I have a 7 year old child, I work full time, my husband works full time and goes to school so time is very limited. :phanvan

I think your doctor is a bit nutty. If you're not exercising at all, start with 30 minutes a day 2-3 times a week. This can include walks or bike rides with your daughter. After dinner is another good time to sneak in some exercise time. Finally, don't discount all you do that adds up to exercise such as gardening, cleaning the house, etc.

I agree with Elisabeth. First off, exercise is a wonderful thing. However, if you exercise 7 days a week, it will be a matter of time before you quit. That would go for anyone that is just beginning. When it becomes a job, it's not enjoyable. He should have started you out 3 to 5 days, 30 minutes. You do what you're comfortable doing. I say, if your moving much more than you were, you doing a good job. Do what you can. Don't do more than you can handle because you will get bored. Biking and brisk walking are a great way to start. It's also very enjoyable.

Good Luck!

Regards,

Take it from someone who did the seven day boot camp type exercising. It's time consuming and not enjoyable whatsoever. I paid the pricer for exercising 7 days a week for a little over an hour.. I blew my knee out and I have serious hip bursitis. Too much wear and tear on my hip.

It's a slow process and one that you could eventually build yourself up to if you choose If not, do what you feel works for you.

I have bad knee arthritis and need a total knee replacement. This might sound strange but I measure my walking progress via telephone poles. LOL. They are spaced apart evenly so I try to add one more pole each week.

Another trick is to drive your car exactly 1/4 or 1/2 a mile so that you know how far to walk. Since you have to come back home, 1/4 mile becomes 1/2 and 1/2 becomes a whole mile. Sometimes I listen to music or a book on tape when I walk but more often I enjoy the quiet.

I have been taking my son and going for a walk everynight after work. It really has been nise I put him in the stroller and we just walk around the blocks in my neighborhood. I work full time also and I am a single mother So i know its hard to find the time. But I just feel so much better when I get my butt out there a move my body. Plus my son just loves it.

I won't comment on your doctor.

My belief is that "something is better than nothing."

Fit in what you can, both in relation to time and your current ability.

As you lose, your ability and desire will change, and you can adjust as you go.

Believing that you "should" exercise for an hour 7 days a week is a sure-fire set-up for disaster as this point. Don't go there.

Please, be realistic with your goals. You'll be happier, and lighter, in 6 months.

Good luck, and hugs, Cindy

Hi Dawn - I have Dr. Campbell too - yes she likes the exercise. I don't know where you work or if you can get an hour lunch, but I am doing the exercise during lunch. I usually only have an 1/2 hour, but I come in 1/2 early and one hour is plenty as the gym is 1000 feet down the road where I work. Is this a possibility. I have kids, etc and can't go after work - I do walk with them though so they too get exercise (mine's 13 y.o.).

I started taking Karate with my kids 6 year old boy, 9 year old girl and my 47 year old husband. I'm 37 and there is no way I would have attempted this pre band, however, it is the most fun I have ever had working out! It's great because the kids go with us and they get a work out too. I do the kick boxing class on my own without them. I think it's a good idea to try all kinds of workouts to see what's for you. Usually the first couple of classes are free.

Good luck!

I run usually five times a week, about 5 kms or so - 40 minutes.

I generally do it on a treadmill because I have 3 kids and not a lot of time to get out to the gym. I also do some core work and just pushups and tricep dips for upper body but all the running (I run on a fair incline) has really toned my legs.

I find it hard to get a workout at ANY speed walking now, walking is just an incidental exercise for me now, but its a fabulous place to start. I can run with my heart rate right in that fat burning aerobic zone. Like with running, walking needs only a good pair of shoes and you're good to go. Oh and a stroller, yes!

Every weekend Doug and I pack up the kids bikes and the stroller and we head into somewhere nice to walk - along the paths around the bay in Melbourne, round the Botanic Gardens, round Albert Park Lake - places where there's heaps and heaps of other exercisers. We power along and generally do about 10kms.

Just be active, whatever you do. And push that tiny bit so you do actually get fitter and can handle something really time efficient like running. I took it up because I knew I needed something that could burn a good 800 calories or so in an hour.

But doing too much too soon is deadly, its taken me almost a year to build up the kind of fitness i have now where I am strong enough to do stuff like that without getting injured.

Thanks to all who responded!!! I had some issues getting into the forums and then I went on vacation. I am doing a lot more than I was before and I know that is something.

I am trying to add walking in the morning, and I may join the YMCA as I have a 7 year old son who is going to need to get some energy out when school starts again.

I am looking for a realistic plan, so that it lasts. We do not have space for any equipment in the house yet,though my husband and I are hoping to finish the basement and then there would be room. Until then I am going to have to start doing something.

I am in a fitness challenge at work, there are 60 of us in it. I work out after work usually 4-5 days a week 60 min or more. On saturday I walk 2-3 miles. Take your child with you for some excercise.

Hi,

My Doctor has reccomended 30 minutes of exercise every day. I plan to do 30 minutes as often as I can right now as I just was banded a week and a half ago. I walked 30 min today on the treadmeil and got in a little over a mile. Prior to banding I walked on the treadmill 3-4 times a week for 40 minutes and got in 2 miles. I don't have that same enrgy today so I am taking it a bit slower and fewer minutes to start with as I don't have the same energy I had prior to banding.