Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 years out

Vera

Its 3 years and I made it to goal!

The last time I weighed 156 was when I was 26 years old. Shortly after that I broke my foot (last bone on the side of my foot, before pinky toe) and gained 20 pounds. Struggled with that for about 2 years then my sister died and I gained more. I averaged about 190 for 7 years except the time I broke my arm and went up to 210 I was 30 years old at the time. Flash forward to 37 when I gave birth to my gorgeous girl Roxanne at 245, she was only 8 lbs and 3 oz… Sure I lost some baby fat but never got below 220. Then at 42 I had my boy Hunter at a grand weight of 270, his birth weight was less than Roxanne’s…. So after trying, dieting, exercising…I was stuck a 244 for years. 244 might not be much for some but I was devastated and miserable.

It didn’t take me long to decide on the band, I did about 2 months of research, knew the insurance battle would be hard and long, so I pulled out money on some low interest credit, which I did pay off within a year. Pick Dr. Sanchez based on his experience and flew to Monterrey Mexico.

On 8/14/03 I was banded and it changed my life. I’ve had some issues and was re-banded on 3/31/05. My weight just didn’t melt away; there was some mental and physical work. It’s just a tool and I had to make some changes to how I looked at food and myself. When I would weigh myself, I didn’t seem to be losing many pounds, but my clothes seem a lot looser. I would lose fat and gain muscle tone for the longest time, the last 20 pounds have been the hardest and longest to loooose. It’s been a trying 3 years but well worth it.

The main things I noticed…

I feel full! I never felt full before having my band unless it was Thanksgiving. Yes I get hungry and have cravings, but try to choose Protein first and something Michelle (LaMadam) taught me “stay away from the carbs”. If I have potatoes in the morning, I’ll want them all day.

I haven’t had a mid-night snack in years, basically because I wouldn’t be able to sleep comfortably if I did.

I drink more water; I still don’t care for Water but know how important it is. And I try to have some warm tea or a cup Soup before meals.

Energy! I can water ski! Throw a frisbee! Even do cartwheels!

On the emotional side, people have treated me different, not sure how to deal with it. For instance, I never felt welcome around my sister and brother in law; it was like I was below them and looked down at. They didn’t talk to me much. Now it’s like I’m accepted and they’re proud to be around me. People who have never had to deal with weight don’t know the damage they can cause.

I try my best to always smile and be friendly to those who seem to be struggling weather it be weight, disability or mental issues. I deal with “skinny” people if I have to but they seem to treat me different now. Why couldn’t I get the respect when I was fat?

I haven’t been on any boards much lately, due to my family keeps me real busy, my job has had more demands and my free time has become very precious as I just turned 47 and feel alive again.

Thanks for all the support I have received through out the years; I have made some wonderful friends here.

This pic is for Christina…. Ms. August checking in.

post-203783-13813133917402_thumb.jpg

Vera, what an inspiration. Hey, I live in Hollister and I'm getting banded on Monday the 21st by Dr. Foster. Thanks for all the stories and suggestions. Julie-

Gorgeous!! You look MAHvelous baby girl!! I'm SO proud of you!! Congrats Vera!! Well done!! and girl, I'd kill for your thighs!!

Well who do you think 'gorgeous' Roxanne got her looks from? Way to go! Your post brought tears to my eyes. It sounds like sometyhing I could have wrote 12 years from now if it were not for the band. After giving birth to my children I was stuck at 244lbs too!

Thanks for the compliments! I resized that last pic, but I still hate my thighs

OMG she hates her thighs! You look GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWJUS, SEXYYYYY

Well done