Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Else Miss Eating?

I am 8 months post op (vertical sleeve). I have lost 121 lbs. and doing great. I couldn't be more pleased with my results. I almost feel bad for writing this... but I miss eating. There are a lot of foods that I can't eat anymore, whether it be because its too high in calories or my body just wont digest it. I hate going out to eat or just eating at family get togethers. I really don't enjoy food anymore. I am constantly observing what there is to eat, if there is anything I can eat. Trying to count calories in my head. Thinking about is it really worth it to eat this or that. etc.

After I eat like 2 or 3 bites I am full and I just sit and stare at everyone else just dive into their food. And family and friends are all like "that's it?" "that's all you are going to eat?"

Don't get me wrong I love my sleeve & its totally worth it. But does anyone else have these feelings of missing food or almost being mad at people that can eat? I know I sound selfish and I don't mean to sound that way.

Please don't feel bad for sharing these feelings. As I made my decision to have surgery, I found very little of this kind of honest talk out there, and I wanted to know everything--the good and the bad.

How could we not miss food? I'm only 9 weeks out, and for the most part I'm doing ok. But then I'll see an Olive Garden commercial and burst into tears, because I just want a BREAK!!! Just for a day!! I just want to go out and eat the salad, AND the bread stick, AND the meal! And then get right back on track! I worry about how it will be in a couple of years when I'm no longer losing and it's lost its novelty. That's why I'm working so hard on the mental changes.

My plan is whenever I feel really bad about the food, I'll go buy myself something I could never have worn before. And yes, I will watch out for "transfer addiction."

I don't have any real advice for you... Let me just say I feel your pain. AND your glory! Congratulations on your huge weight loss!

simple answer? yes and no.

The reason I got this surgery was to stop the insane way I was eating. To make myself be accountable for what I put in my mouth. I'm sad I don't get to gorge. Then I remember how I felt after I gorged. Like, well, someone made me eat a bowling ball!!

When I go out for dinner, I still make a point to get something I'm craving. Because I run, I need to extra carbs now, though I did low carb through my losing phase. I will get a full meal and not feel bad about it because then I get dinner over 3 nights!!

I ate at Olive Garden a few days ago for lunch. I had about half a cup of salad, mainly the Tomato, olives, pepper and onion with a little bit of lettuce, then I ate part of my chicken and a couple of bites of the mashed potato. I brought the rest of the entree home and had it for lunch the next day. Even with eating that, I still was under my calorie "goal" for the day. The carbs also gave me energy for my workout, so that was a bonus.

I don't miss eating the huge amounts of food I could consume pre-surgery, and I find that the quickest way for me to make myself miserable mentally is to deny myself something that I am really craving. If I want something specific, I'll have a few bites and move on with my life. So, I guess the answer for me is that, No, I don't miss eating.

I do find myself making better choices simply because I'm concentrating on my Protein and Water goals, but most of my cravings these days revolve around meat and veggies. Those are in my plan! :)

jessie- i feel the same way most of the time! sometimes i just sit and remember the things i used to love and get sad a lil bcuz even if i attempted to eat it now it would be no more than 3 bites.

i love the weightloss i've had so far but i've still got a lot more to lose, so the road is far from over for me.

congrats on your loss as well.

Thank you all for the honesty. These are the types of things that it is recommended we see a psychologist for. We spent a majority of our lives with dysfuntional eating patterns. The surgeons work on our bodies, not our brains. Keep up the good work everyone!