Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5K Run/Walk Challenge

I was banded 5/8/06. I lost around close to 40 lbs to date. Anyway, I have been doing a lot of thinking about exercising and getting to a more active lifestyle in general. Especially since I have a 15 month old son and I want him to grow up healthy and active. I have joined my gym at work and I’ve been going 4-5 days a week. I do different combos of aerobic classes, cardio machines and strength training. I realize how important exercise is and how I have GOT to incorporate into my daily lifestyle. It has finally clicked in my brain after all of these years. So anyway, I picked up a flier in the gym yesterday for a 5K run/walk. My hubby and another friend have decided to sign up for it. It’s on 9/23/06. There is another one the following day for the Race for the Cure, which I am considering as well. There is usually at least one type of 5K walk/run in my area every month and I am considering participating in 1 every month. Right now, I just want to be able to walk in them, but eventually I’d like to run in them. To build my endurance I have devised a plan I will begin this weekend. I have a nice mountain bike I have rarely used over the past 6 years. I am going to alternate days jogging and riding my bike in the evenings. I am starting out small…like 3 minutes for each activity (or the most I can comfortably tolerate). Each week I am going to add 1-2 minutes per activity. My goal is to be able to bike or jog for at least 30 minutes by New Years without feeling like I am going to pass out. I may post this part in other areas of the message board as well.

Anyway, just wanted to see if anyone was up to a 5K run/walk challenge? Here is what I propose – for anyone interested, find one in your area to participate in by 11/30/06. Decide how long you want to complete it in and if you are going to run/walk/job or a combo. For example, my goal is to walk my first 5K in 1 hour and 15 minutes (that’s 15 minutes per mile) and to walk it. Anyone up for the challenge?

Hello I did my first 5K in May and it was an awesome feeling to complete a 5K at about 399 pounds.

I will join you in this challenge. There is a walk for domestic violence coming up in October but I will look for one before that date so I can do more then one. I will say I will walk it in 1 hour if it is flat terrain. LOL I will walk it only. Woohoooo I can and will do this.

Good Luck to you!!!

Thanks Alicia

I did my first one back in May. It was tough and I finished last! The good thing is that I finished, I was so proud of myself, especially since I didn't die in front of all of the other runners/walkers. I have never been good at running or walking fast even when I was in high school and I played field hockey, softball, and basketball. I always finished last so I was not surprised.

I plan on doing a 5k run/walk in November with my co-workers. Hopefully I will get myself into better shape by then.

I did my first one back in May. It was tough and I finished last! The good thing is that I finished, I was so proud of myself, especially since I didn't die in front of all of the other runners/walkers. I have never been good at running or walking fast even when I was in high school and I played field hockey, softball, and basketball. I always finished last so I was not surprised.

I plan on doing a 5k run/walk in November with my co-workers. Hopefully I will get myself into better shape by then.

Congratulations, you will be in even batter shape for the next one because you will be lighter and faster.

I do the 5K Walk in Los Angeles every year. It is an awesome feeling to cross that finish line. My time was just under an hour. Something like 58 min and 15 sec. There is a walk in Sept in Santa Monica, CA. I will sign up for that and then also find another as well.

Hey we should get pics of us at the event and then post them here. What fun? After everyone posts their pics I will put them in a Collage and then repost it. What fun? Now I have something to occupy my down time. YEAH WHAT IS THAT?!! LOL!!!

Hugs to all

You go Penni, that sounds you are awesome. So how many have you walked in so far?

I have a picture of the last one we walked. Three of us are from LBT, but I need to ask the others can I post it.....you know their faces are on them. LOL

So far I have walked in about three. And all have been a blast. Really alot of fun.