Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Lopez slip!

Well, I went to see Dr Billy today and it is official. My band slipped. I was banded Nov 2004 by Dr Lopez Corvala in T.J. For something that is supposed to last a potential lifetime......less than 2 years is not a great outcome. So here I am, no insurance, no money for an additional surgery, and no way to require Lopez to be culpable for his errors. Now what? Damn him. I am so angry I could scream. Dr. Billy said point blank that this slip has nothing NOTHING to do with me and everything to do with the doctor who did my surgery.

My feelings have changed over time and where I once said I would go back to Mexico for another surgery......I would beg anyone not to go there.

Here is what I do understand and I know this probably won't make sense....I couldn't have the intial surgery here in the states. My BMI was too low. So, I am glad I had it done. I am just mad that Lopez is an incompetent surgeon. Also, it would never occur to me to ask him for a revision or my money back. I have understood from day one that I was taking a huge risk. DAMN IT!!!!

God bless Dr. Billy. I am in the best hands and oddly, I am not the least bit scared. Just super duper annoyed!!!!

P.S There was a lady in the office thinking about lap band surgery. She was talking to Dr Billy's nurse about hair loss. She seemed singularly focused on just the Hair loss. The nurse told her, "just make sure you get enough Protein and you won't loose any hair." It was everything in my power not to yell, "Bullshit!!!! You can eat all the Protein you can find and your hair may or may not fall out!!" Jesus Christ people! When will there finally be a solid answer to the hair loss question!? How sad for this poor uninformed woman. Wait till she comes to his office with a handful of her pretty blonde hair and says, "this is only todays."

Christine the angry.:faint: :huggie:

Aww Christine. I'm so sorry. I'm sorry about everything, your hair, your slip, your regret, your anger and frustration.

Are we gong to see another crop of Lopez problems? We had a few Lopez erosions at 18-24 months not too long ago. I would love to find out what he was doing, surgically, that may have caused these probelms. We may never know for sure, but this doc's track record doesn't seem to be so hot. There ARE Lopez bandsters floating around out there with no probs at all...I just don't know.

I'm just really sorry. You are in good hands with the handsome Dr Billy. Keep us posted on what happens...

hey, did you get unfilled? Must you have the band removed soon? I know it's a bit pointless unfilled, and getting fills can cause another slip, but do you HAVE to have it removed anytime soon? Is the slip so bad you can't wait?

Hi Christine,

My question is the same as Kathy's, did you get your band unfilled? Sometimes a complete unfill will slip the band back in place... at least its something to hope for.

Also - to my knowledge, most insurance's WILL cover a band removal if you are admitted through ER. I dont think they'll cover a repair though :huggie:.

Hang in there and know we're here for ya!

Oh gosh, this really sucks. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. Please know that we are all praying for you and his other patients.

;)

Someone mentioned insurance covering a removal if you are admitted through the ER. I know Dr. Billy is in Ventura, and I just found out the other day that in California, insurance companies are supposed to pay 100% of all costs incurred by going to the ER. Evidently our governator is suing a bunch of the insurance companies for charges incurred to their clients when they shouldn't have been.

I know you probably don't want to have your band removed, but it's an option if you don't have any others.

I have no insurance. Dr. Billy wants me to get private insurance and I am looking into it. $300.00 a month is tough to swallow. No pun intended. ;)

He took out half my fill. I have 1cc left. I didn't have anymore reflux the minute he took half my fill out. I also ate without dificulty yesterday for the first time since Nov 2004. VERY SCARY!!! I don't want to eat w/o dificulty!!!

Yes I have to have revision surgery but only after I get insurance. It is not an emergency. I will do anything in my power to keep my band.

Dr. Billy is just the best. I am so glad to have him here in my hometown.

From what I understand....Lopez uses a bad technique when he stiches the band in place. Or in his case NOT IN PLACE.

P.S My hair all came back. Im just saying, I lost half my volume and was scared to death. Got no solid answers and was so so frusterated. I wish someone would have warned me. Thats all.

Thanks for all your support ladies. I love this place!

Christine

P.S.S WHat should I say to Lopez? Anyone have any good suggestions? Not that it matters really but what the heck huh.

I don't suppose it would hurt to e-mail Lopez and explain that he really needs to update his band placement technique if he wants to continue his work. Word is getting around, ya know. Just what has happened here on LBT would be enough red flags for me to go elsewhere in MX. There are too many other great docs. I'm totally pleased with my band placement from Kuri. Anyhow, you are not likely to get a response, but maybe it will feel better to have said something? Dang. I'm really sorry.

Christine: I am so incredibly sorry for your problems. AS you know I was a Lopez patient as well. He just sucks as a surgeon. Personally I would NOT waste my time talking to him or even sending him an email. I did that got no where, Lisa did that got no where. I called Inamed and reamed them a new one got no where. SIGH!! It just sucks big time.

On the lighter side, my insurance covered all but 900 bucks of my band removal. I have Pacificare PPO coverage.

Keep us informed and I am so glad that you are seeing Billy. He is such a sweetie and realy takes his time with his patients.