Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I eat when im happy, sad, bored, etc..I haven't had the sleeve yet im in the process of getting the go ahead but I was wondering...what outlet do you use post surgery instead of food?

Post op questions is a great one. Glad your going to be joining our group. Or if you haven't had the procedure, go to Pre op questions. ;)

Urban Decay, I was an emotional eater. Nowadays I find that I'm much more willing to bring up the issues and discuss them rather than eat them as I did before. I've been seeing a therapist and that has helped tons. Once you're sleeved, you cannot eat enough to eat away the issues, so you will have to deal with what's bothering you, or find another addiction, like alcohol. I don't recommend that. Exercise helps, too. Do something good for yourself while working away your frustrations.

I am an admitted emotional eater. I've been self medicating myself with food for 10+ years. I was also extremely worried about how I was going to cope with my emotions post op. I am 3 weeks post op, and the hardest part for me was the 2 week all liquid diet prior to surgery. Every person is different but this is what I did.

I tried to remove myself from anybody/thing that stresses me. I realize this is not always possible but I always tried to identify when sombody or something was starting to bother me, so I could distance myself. Having a support system is so important. So when I wanted to cry or binge eat I would call a friend and tell them, so they could pep talk me out of it.

Also I 100% believe there is something so freeing about admitting that you have a problem and you need help. So once I realized that and started talking about it and my decision for surgery. I couldn't stop talking about it. I started making video logs on youtube. (lol) That was the best decision I ever made. The positive feedback I got from my vids was amazing. I'm not saying do anything that drastic but whether it's only 1 person or even a diary having an outlet to pour your thought and feelings into is important.

I also make sure to attend support groups, that way I can talk to other people who have gone what I am going through. And I joined the website, so I can have a bunch of wonderful people to connect with via the web.

The last thing I did was seek professional counseling. I see a counselor once every two weeks. Because I know that I won't always be able to deal with the loss of food.< /p>

Just take it one day at a time. And if you stumble [it's ok!] just pick yourself back up and keep trying! I hope this helps you.

@Lissa thank you for answering my question. It helps from someone who has already had it done.. I definitely will be looking into more proactive ways beforehand

@iheartnettie thanks ill most likely be doing those suggestions..unfortunately I keep getting the are you sure question from the people so I will most likely be attending the support groups pre and post op

Omg I hate the "are you sure?" question. Always followed by the "My (insert random person here) died/got sick/had major complications from that surgery" speech. And they "Why don't you just try diet and exercise?" Like HELLO! But honestly people that don't have a food addiction just don't understand. I usually politely pretended to listen to them. Then very firmly told them my mind was already made up. Don't listen to any negativity. A healthy lifestyle chage is positive and something to be proud of. B)

I cant stand that question ..its like one of those questions people ask to try to get someone to second guess themselves...I got the" just diet and exercise today"..I had to walk away

I sometimes answer with "My mother was an alcoholic and attended AA, sometimes daily, and I know that if she could have had surgery to help her addiction to alcohol she would have done it in a heartbeat! Difference is she could manage hers by not in-taking alcohol and attending support groups and true while I could attend support groups and try to manage my intake, I still have to indulge in food! So no, I have no doubts about my choice. Thank you! (Of course said with a smile! LOL) :)