Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best Scale For The Job?

I need to buy a new scale. I think...

So according to my scale, I've only lost 7lbs since surgery. According to my doctor's scale, I've lost 11. WTH?!

I weighed myself, right out of the shower at about 7am the morning of my surgery, 250 flat. I weighed myself same way, same time of day yesterday, 243. Yet the morning of surgery at the hospital (about 2 hours after I weighed myself), I was 251 with a big heavy hospital gown. then at my doc's office yesterday, 240. He says his scales are better, being $300+ dollars. But now I don't know if I'll be able to accurately guage my progress with mine. He wants me to lose 10+ more in 2 weeks, but I'm afriad if I go my scale I won't know if I did or did not accomplish it. Mine is about 15 years old.

<b>Does anyone recommend any good brands that are easy to find in stores like Bed, Bath & Beyond?</b>

I got mine from Amazon for about $25 it weighs up to 440 lbs..but i found that it actually goes higher than that...mine is made by Taylor and is glass with silver on the bottom...it looks like this one... http://www.walmart.com/ip/Taylor-ULTRA-Thick-Glass-Electronic-DigitalBath-Scale-Model-75194192/11089592 . I originally found it at Wal-Mart but I am an AVID Amazon shopper because I can ALWAYS find better deals. It's almost as if the scale isn't there taunting me every morning because it kind of blends in.

I have this scale, which I ordered from Amazon: http://amzn.com/B001KXZ808

I was really suspicious because it has way too many glowing reviews (lol - seriously, thousands, for a bathroom scale), but it has been very good, and matches my PCP's scale as well as the scale at the surgeon's office.

It is inexpensive, very basic, but I really like mine and have had it for more than a year.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032TNPOE/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details

This is the one I bought - I LOVE it. Just be sure to have batteries on hand - it uses 2 AAA batteries, which I like better than the little expensive ones. I use rechargable batteries so I don't have to ever worry about it being wrong because of old batteries :)

Thanks! Ordered one of the EatSmart scales from Amazon today. My husband is even stoked to use it after he read the reviews. AWESOME!

Look into a set of Tanita scales, they will run about 80.00. They are electronic and accurate. They also measure body fat % which you will want after you start working out.

Mine was like $5. I also get a slightly different reading at the Dr's - then again, whenever I'm at the Dr's, I'm wearing clothes and have at least had something to drink, possibly a full meal, whereas at home I'm buck naked and on an empty stomach. I personally think the actual # is not as important as the progress. As you are a lot more likely to weigh yourself regularly at home than at the Dr's, I'd just track your progress with your home scale. Unless it's definitely broken and give you crazy readings all over the place, I don't think it really matters.

I do not have a scale I use at home anymore. Now that I am back to work I am using our scale in the warehouse. We have these mad scales that have to calibrated to the hundreth of an ounce. I weigh every Wed. at about 4pm, and since I am weighing in the same day/time on Wed's I am going to stick to my protien drinks through the day, to be consistent in what I bring to the scale. But I take off my steel-toed shoes!

I was going to recommend the EatSmart. Not only do they make great scales, they have the BEST customer service!! After about 8 months, mine started giving me very erratic readings and it wouldn't always calibrate. I called the number on the back, sent them an email with my name and address and my new scale arrived two days later!!! I didn't even have to send the old one back!! GREAT PRODUCT with a GREAT COMPANY that stands behind what they sell.

So the new EatSmart scale arrived yesterday and I got to try it out this morning. It's a very nice scale, good readout, easy to use. But I'm more confused than ever. As I mentioned, my old scale showed a 7lbs loss when my doctor's scale showed an 11lbs. loss. Now the new scale is showing 1lbs less than the old scale. I have no idea which to go by anymore. I'm concerned that when I have to check in next week over the phone, I won't know what I've lost at all. If I go by the new scale to the doc's scale, I've only lost 3lbs in 8 days. Which doesn't seem right. If I add the "rule" that my old scale seemed to run about 3lbs higher than my doctor's, and this one is 1lb heavier - then do I deduct 2lbs from the new one?

Arghhh.... I know it's all about trends. And once I start to use only this new scale for weeks, months at a time I should be able to monitor it better. But this is so frustrating in the first month! Just venting...

Yes, I weigh myself at the same time, no clothes, etc.

your bodyweight can fluctuate based on time of day, time of month, etc. The best thing to do is to weigh yourself first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom and before eating or showering. This is the weight you should track. Weighing yourself at different times will give you incorrect information for tracking.

Absolutely, I always weigh within 15min of waking, after going to bathroom and before ingesting anything.