Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated

Ok I am 8 days post op and I am very frustrated. I had lost 10 lbs and now I gained back 2. I ham having a very hard time figuring out if I am hungry or what. I will feel hungry but then I will take 2-3in sips and my stomach will hurt. Then I never can tell if I am hungry or thirsty. What can I do. I never know what I should be drinking Water, juice or Protein Shake. What should I be doing??

I'm 9 days post op and in the same boat. I gained in fluids, took 6 days to lose that and am only down 2lbs. I have been diligent about meeting all my goals for protein/fluids and NEVER go above 40g carbs, and walk every day. I spoke to my doctor's registered nurse and she said "everyone loses differently." She indicated that if I was truly doing everything I said I was doing, there was no way I couldn't lose weight. Like you can really cheat at 9 days?! Don't get too frustrated. I went there and it was an ugly place. Try to trust the process, let go of the control and let your body heal some more. As my husband keeps reminding me, we did just have MAJOR surgery not long ago. The body will know when it's healed enough and when to start doing what it needs to do. That being said, do make sure you are getting enough of the proper fluids, dehydration slows down metabolism more than you realize. Best of luck!

Put that scale away! You just had surgery and are going to make yourself crazy for no good reason. It's going to take your body a while to adjust and get used to the program now that you've gone and removed 85% of your stomach.

I dropped all of my first month weight in the last two weeks of the month. Any number of factors could cause a small bounce up on the scale and after a few months you're going to understand when to expect it and you'll figure out why it happens to you. The entire time I was loosing was a cycle of short stalls with rapid losses and I gained weight every single month around my period, too.

Right now all liquids are liquids and you should be sipping something all day long. I had trouble with plain Water and drank room temp Crystal Light, warm Soup and unjury for the first few weeks. Everything you put in your body counts towards your liquid intake goals.

Don't expect to get much of anything in for a while, and don't beat yourself up over it, either. It's hard in the beginning! I didn't regularly hit my Protein, liquid AND calorie goals until about 4-6 months out.

You are not going to fail. You just removed most of your stomach and can't even drink half a cup of Water in one sitting! This isn't a race and the weight won't drop off overnight. Take it easy, don't stress yourself out and let yourself heal.

And put that darn scale away until three weeks out from surgery! You're going to stall once you hit mushies anyway and it will frustrate you to no end. Guess what, though? In four months you're going to be posting about how much weight you've lost and how your clothes are too big. Give it time.

Good luck, and speedy healing.

~Cheri

Thank you so much clk for your words of wisdom :) you're weight is my goal weight how long did it take you to lose? And I will have the scale in hibernation...I'm sipping on boba tea now mmmmm yum.

Agreeing with clk,ya gotta lose the scale for now. I am 2 and a half weeks out. I dropped 14 lbs in my first week then stopped. Had to make my mom take my scale home with her the day b4 yesterday bc I was driving everyone,including myself crazy! My doctor quickly moved me to soft foods and I stalled at a week and a half out! But I am only getting like 350 calories a day and about 40-50 grams of Protein, maybe 30-40 ounces of liquids. The weight has got to come off sooner or later! Just keep doin what you're doing girl. We will get there! Btw,I love my warm teas! So soothing to my sleeve! Love Chamomile. =)

It took me a lot longer to get to goal than a lot of folks and for the first six months or so I drove myself CRAZY comparing my results to everyone else's, changing up my diet every time I had a stall and basically just freaking out thinking that I wasn't ever going to get to goal.

It took me 17 months to get to goal but I was within 20 pounds of goal for six months. So around ten months to one year out I was feeling very good about myself, considering myself a success and not too worried about getting all the way to goal. Getting here was S-L-O-W work my body really just didn't want to lose that last 20 pounds. At that point I wasn't willing to fuss with my diet too much, I just kept plugging away and the weight kept slowly falling off.

Now that I'm at goal my body absolutely refuses to lose another pound. If it happens it will happen very, very slowly. I weigh daily to keep myself accountable (so I won't slip into denial about my eating habits or weight) and I'm anywhere from 134-137 on any given day (depending on my time of the month) and I think that's perfectly normal.

Good luck, and don't let that scale own you. It's hard to get to the point where you can remain optimistic even on days when you don't lose, or when you have a small bounce up. Just stay calm in the knowledge that there is very little you could possibly do and gain weight at this point! Heck, I'm 19 months out in two days and there's very little I could even do to make myself gain more than one pound.

~Cheri