Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was told that several people have to have their gall bladder removed after sleeve surgery. I am only 2 weeks post-op but wonder if there is a way to prevent this.

Has anyone had to have the surgery? How long after your surgery? Do you know what caused the gall bladder to fail?

I had gall bladder surgery before I had the sleeve, but I do know that the surgeon typically gives a prescription for actigall which is a medication that is supposed to help prevent problems with the gall bladder after surgery.

I've heard that gaining and losing weight rapidly or numerous times can cause problems with the gall bladder.

I had my gallbladder removed 10.5 months after my sleeve surgery. I did not take Actigall; approximately 30% of persons who experience rapid weight loss have gall bladder problems. Other factors which increase risk of gall bladder disease are being female, obese, and over 40. Rapid weight loss causes cholesterol to precipitate out of bile, forming small stones. The stones can block the bile duct or pancreatic duct causing inflammation and pain. Since the gallbladder only stores bile, removing it just means that the bile trickles into the intestine all the time instead of being released at intervals. It's really not a big deal and the surgery is very common even in those who don't have rapid weight loss.

I had my gall bladder out almost 13 years ago after doing a long stint on Medifast. It was a risk I knew about (rapid weight loss can contribute to gall stones, among other things) so yes having WLS (and the rapid weight loss that accompanies it) can create gall bladder issues.

Mine was already gone so it wasn't a worry at all,

However, my husband still has his GB and has been sleeved for 10 months without any issues (so far, knock on wood!)

The pain is unlike anything I've ever felt (the pain comes from passing a stone through your system.) My best description of it, is a feeling like someone took ahold of my insides and squeezed as hard as possible. Nothing I did would alliviate the pain, the pain only goes away when the stone has successfully passed through your system. Then you feel instantly better, until the next attack!

I was at a seminar on weight loss on Saturday and I asked about having the gallbladder taken out and I was told that if you have a lapband or the sleeve that they do not take it out. There is a chance that you will have problems especially with the sleeve as you lose weight faster and more weight but they said that as a rule the do not remove the gallbladder. Another reason that they do not take the gallbladder at the same time as the sleeve surgery is that the gallbladder is a dirty organ and full of bacteria. If removed when the sleeve is done that is a great risk that you could get an infection from the gallbladder contents.

With the bypass they do however routinely take the gallbladder out as these patients have a much higher rish of gallbladder issues.

If I was having my gallbladder taken out it would be in a seperate operation and not at the same time as the sleeve. I figure that after the sleeve is done and I have paid money out of pocket in Mexico that if my gallbladder has to come out my insurance company "WILL" pay for that surgery.

Like M2G, I had gallbladder surgery after having followed the Modifast diet (back in 1987). Anyone who loses a large amount of weight rapidly can have gallbladder issues - so those sleeve patient aren't having gallbladder problems due to the sleeve surgery - it is strictly due to the weight loss.

In my case, I had had gallbladder problems for years before I went on Modifast - I just didn't recognize the symptoms. I knew I had bad stomach pains after eating - but I thought it was related to the quantity of food I ate. In fact, it was due to what I was eating, not how much. As Foxbins described, rapid weightloss can cause small stones to be created in the gallbladder. Unlike that, I had a single, large stone.

Most people who have gallbladder surgery now have it done with a laparascope, not "open" surgery (like mine was). You will either have it day surgery or stay in the hospital overnight. It is usually not too bad a surgery.

I wouldn't worry about it. Talk to your doc about the actigall if you are concerned.

Good luck with your sleeve.

Thank you everyone, I think I will look into the medication. Thank you andersonlj.. I had wondered why they didn't take it out with the operation if it was going to have to come out anyway.

I don't know what changes you have to make after gall bladder surgery, but I would prefer to keep any organ that I can. I am glad it is not a major surgery. I did have a friend who waited too long and it turned into a 6 day hospital stay. She said her back hurt for days. It infected other organs somehow.

Again, thank you for answering my question.