Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The One Time I Follow The Rules

So went and had my labs done be taking all my vit just as i was told to and well now i have to stop taking my B12. My levels are over 1999 meaning that is as high as the test goes.. I was only taking that vit like 3 times a week.. So now i am worried about this. Any one have this problem other than me?

After surgery, I have to do B12 sublingual once a week... Perhaps you body likes it?? Do you feel any effects from it do you??

I was instructed to only take it once a week, under the tongue. I believe that is where most people start and then it is adjusted if needed as your tests dictate.

Confirm how often you were supposed to start at.

well i wa taking the sub lig ones and since i had my surgery in mexico no one really told me how often to take them, But as of now i am not to take it any more.

I had my 3-month appt. (well, just a little later than 3 mo.) last week and the doctor told me to cut back on my B-12 to twice a week. My labs weren't as high as yours but he said I didn't need to take it every day from now on. I think everyone's body is different, that's why they are checking the labs to make sure we are doing fine.

I too only take it 1 time a week. I have always wondered about those taking it everyday...but that is why we have our blood checked right. Good for you, youre taking good care of yourself.

I was told that my B-12 levels were off the charts at my 6 week checkup. I took a grand total of 4 sublingual B-12's in that 6 week period because I would get jittery. The last one was almost 2 weeks before labs. I guess I'm one of those people who still absorbs it well (too well).

I think they're still trying to figure out the differences between us and the gastric bypass patients. I bet that's one reason why there's so much variance in pre- and post-op diets between surgeons, and what the aftercare is with regards to Vitamins and minerals. The gastric bypass diet is very well established because it procedure has been around for so long; give the VSG another ten years and it will standardize, I suspect.

I was discharged from the hospital with instructions for self-injected B12 monthly shots for the rest of my life, which I refuse to do (I have an extreme needle phobia). They did give me my first one in the hospital. I plan to start on the sublingual B12s starting next month. Sounds like I need to be careful with the B12 dosing!

My doctor told me NOT to take Vitamins. I thought he was nuts and even put up a post about it. Everyone told me take vitamins! So I did. I started to slack with my vitamins and didn't really take them regularly...I went to get my levels checked and even without taking vitamins my levels were off the charts and my family doctor was completely floored....

I think they're still trying to figure out the differences between us and the gastric bypass patients. I bet that's one reason why there's so much variance in pre- and post-op diets between surgeons, and what the aftercare is with regards to Vitamins and minerals. The gastric bypass diet is very well established because it procedure has been around for so long; give the VSG another ten years and it will standardize, I suspect.

I was discharged from the hospital with instructions for self-injected B12 monthly shots for the rest of my life, which I refuse to do (I have an extreme needle phobia). They did give me my first one in the hospital. I plan to start on the sublingual B12s starting next month. Sounds like I need to be careful with the B12 dosing!

I agree. My surgeon doesn't have me taking any B12 accept for what is in my multi. Maybe if my first round of blood work comes back bad they will do something- but I'm excited to see what info there is for sleeve patients in 5-10 years.

WOW! Thanks for posting this, I just cruised the web looking for side effects of too much B12 : Here's one site: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5147896_much-vitamin-side-effects.html

I have been having VERY bad insomnia as of late, I've fought it all my adult life but it's been absolutely terrible lately. I've also been downing 3 EmergenC drinks a week to acidify my urine trying to combat kidney stones, the drink has over 400% RDA of B12 in them as well. Without going to the doctors and getting tested I am wondering if I'm getting too much. I am especially cranky and having a hard time psychologically as well as sleep deprived.

The things we learn!

Thanks for this....thought it was weird that some days I am bouncing off the walls. Wonder if it is the days I take the B12? I take it twice a week as doctor told me too.....hummmmm.....might have to keep a journal and see....thanks!

I had this happen to me, too. I was taking my B12 too often (3X/day vs 3X/week), and the B12 I was taking was a larger dose than I needed. I backed off on the frequency, and now pay attention to what strength of B12 I am purchasing.

Having a too high level of B12 is not a bad problem, just back off on the total amount you are taking in (either frequency or strength). It will come down by your next labs. My levels were back in order the next time I had bloodwork done.

well as we all think...Is it only me?...I think that is why this site is so great we are all learning together and some one out here is in the same boat.