Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Just Being Greedy?

So over the past 2 years I've lost 45#s mostly due to lots of exercise. Didn't eat bad over the majority of that time period, but at times didn't eat the healthiest either. Started the process for WLS about 6 mths ago after my frustration level peaked after seeing several friends who had had WLS losing weight like crazy, with what seemed like little effort. (I say 'seemed' realizing it's not magic.) But now as I get closer to a yes or no from insurance, the yes possibility has me wondering if I'm just being greedy. Like I should be happy with the rate I'm losing and not expect immediate results. However then I tell myself 'I've yo-yo'ed for 30-some years it is time to make a permanent choice'. That's not being greedy. Is it?

Its just being smart! My doc said it is really the only way people lose weight and keep most of it off for any length of time. You DO have to work for it, but it is easier than losing and gaining and losing and gaining! Its a great tool.

Thank u very much for the input. I feel like I am going back & forth every 2 minutes!!! Yes do it, no don't do it!!! Can I ask, it looks like you're nearly a year out, what negatives do u see/feel since having the surgery?

one word.......NO!

It's only greedy if you only have a very small amount to lose. But if your insurance company is even considering you-that must not be the case.

I felt the same way for years and would not even consider WLS. I felt that it meant that I was weak and couldn't do it on my own. News Flash-I couldn't-But not because I was week.

If your BMI is high enough that your surgeon and insurance company think you are a candidate for surgery, Then I say go for it. That's not being greedy-it's taking care of yourself.

No, you aren't being greedy. You've worked hard to lose the weight you have lost, and it's a tough road. I lost 50 pounds the year before surgery, then I got pneumonia and ended up in and out of the hospital 3 times over a couple of months and :::whoosh::: all that weight came right back, with friends! It was SO much easier to put it back on than it had been to take it off!

Someone here has a quote in her signature that says something like "Take the help, you deserve it." And, you do deserve it. This is a step to a healthier YOU and a happier life. I don't think it's greedy to want those things. I think it's smart! So, take the help, you deserve it. :)

Thanks all for the replies. It really helps to hear from people going through or who have gone thru the process. I'm sure I'm driving my family nuts with my indecisiveness! I literally have battled back & forth in my head a million times 'yes it's okay to take the help' and 'no God would have made your stomach sleeve-size if it was intended to be that size'. But then again my stomach probably DID start out sleeve size and I just stretched it abnormally!

So I continue with the process and if it is meant to be it'll happen and if it's not it won't. This morning I'm on my way to see the surgeon for an EDG. Hope to hear back from insurance soon. I don't think they'll schedule an actual surgery date until insurance approves. My current BMI is about 39.5 with only co-morbidities being DJD in C4&C5 and family history of diabetes & heart disease. So I know I'm a sitting duck for these if I don't get the weight off & keep it off for good.

Thank u very much for the input. I feel like I am going back & forth every 2 minutes!!! Yes do it, no don't do it!!! Can I ask, it looks like you're nearly a year out, what negatives do u see/feel since having the surgery?

I have had next to no problems. Others have had different problems. It is different for every person. The thing most people on this site have in common, is they love their sleeve, would do it again in a heartbeat, even WITH the problems. God wouldn't have made heart disease if He didn't want you to die early....? We have no problems with cardiac surgery to save peoples lives... why do we feel differently about obesity? Many people with heart disease could have had less problems if they just ate better and exercised... so they should not get surgery because of that? Take the help! Live a longer life! Bypass is a blessing...so is WLS! I realised after I got the surgery, that MOST overweight people will never get/take this opportunity... I am soooo lucky!

If you have been struggling with your weight for 30 years it is not being greedy! And it doesn't mean you are taking the easy way out, or that you are giving up. The sleeve helps us eat less, but its up to us to eat whats right and to keep doing exercise. The way I see it, the sleeve is a helping hand, its giving us a little push in the right direction.

Very helpful comments from everyone. Made it thru the EDG step and actually came out a little less afraid! Yeah! I'm a total chicken when it comes to needles/scopes but man they knock u out so u remember nothing! Excited about the possibilities.