Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Almost there"

Hi All…….

It’s so comforting to know there are others like myself (62 in December) who have made the decision to have WLS and I only wish you all the best! I haven’t been on this site in awhile. I have just completed all of my pre op testing and will be signing my consent next week. Then hope & pray my insurance company will approve. I am hoping for a surgery date of November 17th. So tell me…..Did any of you feel anxious and apprehensive right before your surgery? For me, during the last six months this day seemed like it would never come. Now that I am almost there I have begun to question myself, is this is the right thing for me? Am I doing the right thing? I know it’s just my nerves talking. The quality of my life right now really stinks and if and when I plan to retire, I would love to be able to live out the rest of my life to its fullest.

Ellen

Surgery in three days and you better believe I have anxiety and apprehension! I am starting to think, "Whoa, do I really want to to do thing?" I come down on the side of YES!!!!! I have already lost 42 pounds and I feel so gooood. Can only imagine what it will be like to hit the 100 pound loss that I want.

I have had three other major surgeries, but they were not elective so while I had anxiety and apprehension, I knew I had to do it . Think that is what makes this so different, but I believe that is why it is so important. We are making a conscious decision to do something for US. Many of us are "caretaker" personalities who have focused too much on others and it feels awkward to focus on ourselves!

Hi All…….

It’s so comforting to know there are others like myself (62 in December) who have made the decision to have WLS and I only wish you all the best! I haven’t been on this site in awhile. I have just completed all of my pre op testing and will be signing my consent next week. Then hope & pray my insurance company will approve. I am hoping for a surgery date of November 17th. So tell me…..Did any of you feel anxious and apprehensive right before your surgery? For me, during the last six months this day seemed like it would never come. Now that I am almost there I have begun to question myself, is this is the right thing for me? Am I doing the right thing? I know it’s just my nerves talking. The quality of my life right now really stinks and if and when I plan to retire, I would love to be able to live out the rest of my life to its fullest.

Ellen

I was so desperate to lose weight I really didn't have doubts. Just was sure to get outstanding surgeon. I grew more anxious as the day grew near -- typical surgery fears not questioning the decision for wls. I was a lot more overweight than most though. I think almost everyone gets apprehensive as surgery nears. My brief what have I done moment came after surgery but only for a few seconds. I was 62 when I had surgery.

I still have a lot of weight to lose but have such an improved quality of life. It is great.

Hi! Well, I am 66 and just had my surgery last Monday, 10/17. And YES, I was nervous and apprehensive, but I have this theory that positive thoughts bring a more positive outcome, you know like the self-fulfilling prophecy, only on the good side. So through my fears, I managed to visualize a successful surgery without complications, and pretty much, that is what I got. Right now, I am experiencing some pain which may be a complication, but I will deal with my anxiety about that the same way. Also, it is good that you are on this forum because there is a wealth of experience and support here. So joint the November 2011 people going through the same experience that you are going through and see how much better that makes you feel. I am way too old to have much experience at this "forum stuff", but I have found the support and information to be invaluable. I even connect with 20 year-olds, and feel I have a lot to offer them from a slightly different perspective.

So Yippee that you are doing this.

Keep in touch,

Phyllis, aka Hopeful Spirit

Hi All…….

Ellen

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches