Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone! I was sleeved on May 17, and I've been doing great with it, but a week after I went back to college in August I began having an unusual problem: I started burping all the time. It happened basically overnight; one morning I woke up and realized I could bring up a burp whenever I wanted to and I could not rid myself of it. Gas-X did nothing, and both the Reglin and some other medicine my surgeon had me try did nothing (and that Reglin made me feel really bad!) On top of that, I just didn't feel right and knew something was wrong. Well, last Thursday when I went for my check-up and had some bloodwork done, I talked about this with my surgeon and he had me undergo an Upper GI X-Ray. And what do you know: they found I had a hiatal hernia. I know some of you guys had one before you had the sleeve, but 'veI got one afterwards. Reading about it online, it seems that most people don't know they have one, but I do, and that the best ways to treat it are to eat small meals, lose weight, take heartburn medicine, and not lay down after a meal (which I never do). I'm doing all these things because of my sleeve, and I was taking 40mg Nexium, but he prescribed me 60mg Dexilant to see if that would help. I can't really tell a difference, so it looks like I'm going to have it repaired near the end of the year. I'd like to ask: has anyone here dealt with one of these? Did you have the same symptoms? I did a forum search on here about hiatal hernias and it seems some people had the same symptoms, but I just want to make sure. I'm curious how I'll feel if I have it repaired, as it requires another laproscopic surgery. If any of you can tell me anything about these things, I'd love to hear it. Other than that, my sleeve has not caused me one problem and I've now lost 206 pounds in all, counting my weight-loss before the surgery. Thanks!

Before my sleeve, I burped a lot and had heartburn, but I thought it was because I was fat. My surgeon repaired my hernia when he did the sleeve. Post-op, I was still burping but that was due to the CO2 gas and swallowing air when I ate and drank. I'm taking 10 mg of omeprazole a day for heartburn, don't know if I'll still have it if I stop the meds.

Congrats on the 200 lb loss!! That's great!

Sorry to hear you are having problems with a hiatal hernia. I have read somewhere that a high # of obese people, something like 80-85 % of overweight people have one. Normally they should be fixed during the sleeve. But yes, losing weight can shrink them a good bit. Wow, your weight loss is amazing, congrats to you!!!

:)

I actually asked my surgeon right after surgery if I had had any hernias, as I had read of many people on here having on going in, and he said I didn't, so yeah I find it really odd that one has just now formed. Oh well, it looks like I'll probably have it fixed later. I tell you, I hope I never have to have another GI Tract done; that barium stuff was beyond nasty! The one thing that scares me about having hernia repair surgery is the fact that I'll be blown up again since it's laproscopic; the gas pain I had from my sleeve was very unpleasant and I don't want to feel that again. But I'm thinking that he wouldn't have to blow me up as much for this surgery. And no, it's definitely not the gas from my sleeve surgery causing me to burp; that gas was gone two days after surgery. I'm also having no heartburn, just burps. And it always feels like there's something in my throat or stomach because of it. This hernia is trolling me I believe :P

MIne was repaired 1o yrs ago when I had my RNY--no problems thereafter! I do sometimes chew 4-5 Tums, but the hernia has not been a problem postop. That surgery was an open incision one, so did not have the scope procedure. Now, my sleeve was done by laparosope May 31st. I am all healed up mostly, lost about 45 pounds now, and still working to get the remaining 40 off for maintenance. Good luck--the repair surgery is good--my hernia was the size of the surgeon's fist, so I needed it fixed! Ronda

I had one repaired during surgery that I had no idea I had. I wonder if maybe you had a small one that went undetected during surgery. But I find it odd that you would only now be experiencing symptoms even after having lost so much weight. I hope that this can be resolved without surgery, but if it would make you feel better and prevent additional problems it might be worth the surgery as a last ditch effort. Good luck to you.

Did you have surgery this year or last? Either way, I am so impressed by your progress. We are related :) I had my surgery on 5/17 also. Wow, you are doing great!

Yes, If I'm going to have this hernia surgery it'll be this year as I believe the insurance company will cover it completely. My surgeon said it might have been dormant when he worked on me and then decided to wake up. Lol, let me explain: I did have the surgery this year, but I lost 140 pounds on my own without the sleeve and even though he told me I didn't have to have it by this point, I still wanted it so I did and I've lost 66 more thanks to it. My weight loss was slowing down around the time I had it, so I was very happy. As I like to say, he converted me from an H1 Hummer to a Toyota Prius

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches