Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,Newbie here with need for support!

Hi There Sleevers! This will be my first post :D

Your stories are what keep me going, Im barely at the baby steps of my journey.

I'm bummed out because every Doctor I have seen so far,thinks I've gone bonkers,because I want gastric sleeve surgery. I am 5'3" and weigh 227, great I lost 3 pounds :huh: Normally this would be a good thing right? I'm trying to maintain my "chubby" so I can have this needed tool to help me with long term weight loss and maitenence. My PCP and now the Pulmonary Doc I saw today say I am "too healthy" and not obese enough for WLS? WTH, Since when is my BMI of 40 not chubby enough? LOL To see me in person,I do not look super duper chubby,just big boned.But I know how I feel,I just need a little love and support from my fellow sleevers,to keep on pursuing this goal.You all are so awesome, I have been hanging about and reading all about the wonderful stories! I can't wait to be able to share mine too! Thanks for reading my post.

I'm bummed out because every Doctor I have seen so far,thinks I've gone bonkers,because I want gastric sleeve surgery. I am 5'3" and weigh 227, great I lost 3 pounds :huh: Normally this would be a good thing right? I'm trying to maintain my "chubby" so I can have this needed tool to help me with long term weight loss and maitenence. My PCP and now the Pulmonary Doc I saw today say I am "too healthy" and not obese enough for WLS? WTH, Since when is my BMI of 40 not chubby enough? LOL To see me in person,I do not look super duper chubby,just big boned.But I know how I feel,I just need a little love and support from my fellow sleevers,to keep on pursuing this goal.You all are so awesome, I have been hanging about and reading all about the wonderful stories! I can't wait to be able to share mine too! Thanks for reading my post.

Hi. I really have no business replying to you because I have not had the surgery myself but I had to respond because I have just started this process and am afraid I'm going to hit the same wall you have. I am 43 years old, am 5'3" and exactly 227 pounds. A friend of mine had the surgery and he is so beyond happy with his results and has never felt better. I have a consultation appointment with the surgeon on September 8th and have not even mentioned it to my primary doctor. I was afraid of the same response that you seem to be getting.

I cannot believe that they feel you are not heavy enough to have the surgery. I have been struggling with my weight for such a long time now that I am at my wit's end. I am not going to say that nothing else works but it seems that I cannot stick with something long enough to really see great results. I thought that by taking the control out of my own hands by having this surgery, that I would have better luck in turning my habits around. And I am so willing to change.

Are we being unrealistic to want this? I can't believe I'm feeling upset about not being heavy ENOUGH! Unbelievable.

~ Kelly

Hi. I really have no business replying to you because I have not had the surgery myself but I had to respond because I have just started this process and am afraid I'm going to hit the same wall you have. I am 43 years old, am 5'3" and exactly 227 pounds. A friend of mine had the surgery and he is so beyond happy with his results and has never felt better. I have a consultation appointment with the surgeon on September 8th and have not even mentioned it to my primary doctor. I was afraid of the same response that you seem to be getting.

I cannot believe that they feel you are not heavy enough to have the surgery. I have been struggling with my weight for such a long time now that I am at my wit's end. I am not going to say that nothing else works but it seems that I cannot stick with something long enough to really see great results. I thought that by taking the control out of my own hands by having this surgery, that I would have better luck in turning my habits around. And I am so willing to change.

Are we being unrealistic to want this? I can't believe I'm feeling upset about not being heavy ENOUGH! Unbelievable.

~ Kelly

Hi Kelly,

Thank You for responding to my post. WOW,we are the same exact age,weight and height! Also sound very similar in our weight loss background too :o That is why I joined and posted too. I was bummed at not being chubby enough for WLS. Bt yet being too chubby to be considered normal. I am still pursing my goal of Gastric Sleeve Surgery. I contacted my insurance and I am fufilling all my criteria needed to qualify. According to the guidelines, we are considered morbidly obese at BMI of 40. Hang in there, and if you have the time...drop me a line to keep me updated on your progress! We can do this :D

Take Care,

Jessica

Jessica, With the new guidelines that say a BMI of 30 is sufficient, I can't imagine the doctors would really turn you down. Good luck with your process and keep talking to the docs and insurance people until you get what you need. I had a couple of docs tell me that, since I lost 50 pounds on Atkins last year, I shouldn't have surgery, but instead concentrate on dieting. That's great, until you consider that diets are a temporary solution. Once one goes back to "normal" eating, there goes the weight, right back on. I swear that weight is a magnet to me! I applaud you for being proactive and trying to find a solution before you are morbidly obese, 40 and diabetic or worse. Good luck to you and Kelly.

My PCP thought that if I was going to get surgery then the band was cutting edge, and he had a patient that was having no problems. I think that even really good doctors - such as mine is, can't keep up with every aspect that is being developed for countering health problems. I will be his learning source on the sleeve, and I don't mind.

I agree with the others! Keep on Trying!!!! I was denied my first try 3 years ago due to not being "chubby or unhealthy" enough. I tried to lose the weight on my own, unsucessfull! :( Then my PCP advised me on the surgery once again. Once again I was determined to have all of my ducks in a row and get it done! I was just sleved 4 days ago. stay strong and dont give up if this is what you really want!

You can do this!!!!;)

I agree with the others! Keep on Trying!!!! I was denied my first try 3 years ago due to not being "chubby or unhealthy" enough. I tried to lose the weight on my own, unsucessfull! :( Then my PCP advised me on the surgery once again. Once again I was determined to have all of my ducks in a row and get it done! I was just sleved 4 days ago. stay strong and dont give up if this is what you really want!

You can do this!!!!;)

WooHoo!!! That is so great :D Thanks for the support, I am still doing everything I'm suppose to!

I will meet with the Doctor in two weeks,he will be the one to either give me the referral to the Bariatric Surgoen or the one to cause all out battle of the bulge,LOL :lol:

For me,it is all about the insurance paying for it, I am going to put up a good fight :P

WooHoo!!! That is so great :D Thanks for the support, I am still doing everything I'm suppose to!

I will meet with the Doctor in two weeks,he will be the one to either give me the referral to the Bariatric Surgoen or the one to cause all out battle of the bulge,LOL :lol:

For me,it is all about the insurance paying for it, I am going to put up a good fight :P

Hi!! I just watched a youtube video under a user name gastricsleevereviews and this blonde lady was 5'5" 209 lbs and she got the gastric sleeve in Mexico! She lost down to her goal weight and she loved it. You are definitely overweight enough to get this surgery.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and support as well.

I have been getting all of my ducks in a row. I have been going to my cardiologist for the last two weeks making sure everything is okay because I've had increased incidents of shortness of breath and burning in my chest upon even the slightest exertion. My cholesterol is sky high and my thyroid is not working too well either. So far so good as far as the heart.

I have an appointment with my general doctor on 9/7, a seminar/meet and greet with the surgeon on 9/8 where I'll get more information and will schedule my consult.

I haven't been told by anyone yet that they will deny me so I'm trying to stay positive. This website has been a fabulous source of information and support.

Oh, and I also watched many, many videos on YouTube from people who tracked their journey from the day before surgery to as far as 18 months later. I found it to be very informative. I think it's awesome that people do that. I don't think I could be so brave to do that but I'm grateful to them for doing so.

I'll keep you posted.

~ Kelly :)

Just Had The VSG 08/28/11 .I Had My Medical DRS. Blessing. Insurance Would Not Pay For Surgery So I Went International And Had Surgery. I Was Treated better Than I Have Every Been Treated By A Hospital In The States. I Had 5 DRS With Me At The Hospital And 2 Nurses. Hospital Was Very Very Clean. I Spent 1 Nite In Hospital And I Spent 3 Nites In Hotel Room.Dr. Called 3 Times A day ,Checking On Me. Every Thing Went Good, I Have Been Home 4 Days And things Are Still Good.

I know where you're coming from. My PCP was a little different though...he was supportive of my having the lap band when I got it in 2008, but I failed MISERABLY on it. Since I failed with that, he thought that I wouldn't do well on the VSG either. I had to follow up with him on something else a few days later, so I brought in a list of pros and cons, and reasons I thought I needed it. After reading it, he hesitantly got on board with me. Luckily, I didn't need him for a referral, or even approval, but I still wanted him to write a letter stating I was a good candidate for the revision to increase my chances of insurance approval. I've been sleeved for two weeks now and am already down 19lbs. I cannot WAIT to go get my flu shot in a week and see him. HA! (Well, the real HA moment will be in several months when I am MUCH closer to my goal weight. LOL)

So, to make my short story long, DO NOT GIVE UP!!!!