Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low blood pressure?

Prior to WLS I was borderline hypertensive, the doc put me on different meds and both made be immediately and suddenly nauseas - not fun. So this is one of the many things that gave me a kick in the a$$ to go forward with WLS.

Now 8+ months out and nearing 160 pounds loss I seem to be swinging the other way - HYPOtensive!

I use the BP monitor at the gym and it consistently reads low, I pretty much disregarded it because who trusts a clunky old machine the size of a breadbox that gets used and abused and never calibrated? Well after about the 4th or 5th low reading in a row I finally broke out my own home machine. Idle since shortly after WLS. It's one of the typical home machines, small size, it takes your BP 3 times and then averages them.

My result today 108 / 60 ! The result the other day was 102 / 55. So I see a trend. My resting heart rate went from ~90 to 58 also! I don't feel dizzy, no fatigue, no blood in the stool and no pains anywhere - except after a long swim, the I ache all over. Last week during a mini family reunion I went swimming with the kids and was surprised at how long I could hold my breath, it seemed like forever! I swim at the gym 3 times a week and use a snorkel - my neck is stiff from MANY injuries and a snorkel allows me to breath without torquing my neck around, so I seldom hold my breath for long using it.

So should I be concerned? Or did I just get that physically fit in 4 months at the gym that I now have incredible BP, heart rate and lung capacity? I always seem to worry about the stupidest things!

Doesn't sound stupid at all. Low blood pressure can be as serious as high blood pressure. I am going through the same thing and have come off my BP meds and got a little better. Have you tried adding a little salt to your diet??? that will help some. I take my BP each morning and night to see how I am doing. Mine is finally runing around 108/65 it was running 96/55 for a long time and I felt tired. Feeling good now. You may want to discuss with your PCP. Do you take an aspirin daily??? that will thin your blood and can cause low BP. I would keep a watch on it and if it doesn't drop much lower, you feel great - don't worry. You should always check with your PCP about those things. Never hurts. Congrats on the being fit. Way to go!!!!!

My bp hangs in the 95/60 range. Never hypertensive, but was diagnosed with hypotension last year, mainly postural/positional. It's not been a concern for any of my doctors once it stabilized with increased fluids, sodium intake and taking care when standing quicly. My obs are ecstatic with my lower bp especially this late in the pregnancy.

I think you are just rocking ! ! ! BUT, of course, the disclaimer of "check with your docs" is gonna be thrown out there!

Hi Rootman,

We're hitting a lot of the same benchmarks at the same time. Feels great just being overweight doesn't it? And I just checked with my Dr. yesterday after getting a couple of blood pressure readings like yours. His nurse said those numbers are nothing to worry about, but I am hoping when I see him I get off my last couple of blood pressure meds. Currently I'm taking 1/2 cozar and 1 atenol. That's already down from the 1 cozar, 1 atenol, a low dose aspirin and diuretic that I took pre-op.

Of course, I agree with others: check with your Dr. We don't want them getting lonely just because we are getting healthier by the day!

Lynda

Much like Tiffykins,my bp hangs low as well when I'm in a lower weight. Especially when I'm exercising. I too was diagnosed with hypotension a couple of years ago (before I regained a bunch of weight again).. mine too was mainly postural/positional. My doc told me to wiggle my feet before standing, not do anything where I have to shift positions quickly (like burpees much to my delight!) , increase fluids and sodium intake and take care when standing quickly. I found if I stood too fast everything would go spotty and spin!

I too was having low blood pressure readings (90 / 55 or 95 / 60). After several days of this and feeling like something the cat drug in, I went to my doc. She pulled me off an additonal 25% of my pre surgery BP meds (she had already cut my dosage in half)- I am now on 1 tiny BP pill a day. This week, I notice my BP is getting lower again when I take my readings. I am looking forward to being BP medication free.

All of the comments about increasing fluids, increasing your salt intake slightly and being careful when you change positions quickly are good to follow. Your BP and your heart rate will drop as your fitness levels increase. I knew an Olympic athlete who's resting heart rate was 40 something.

Sounds like you are not only rocking your sleeve - but becoming a buff gym rat! Way to go!:D

Before surgery I was put on a beta blocker for atrial fibrillation, it also lowers my BP which was getting a little high... around 140/85 at times... that knocked the BP down and helped the heart thing. Now, 73 pounds later, my BP can get as low as 85/56... I do occasionally get faint when I stand up. I have to continue taking my Beta Blocker because of the heart... but do cut back by half when the numbers get toooo low... I still have 20 pounds to lose, and hope the BP doesn't get lower! I may add a shake of salt here and there.....I also take a full aspirin per my Cardios direction...Mostly I feel just fine.