Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sick on Protein Drinks

My surgeon is a stickler about strictly Protein Drinks (Carnation Instant Breakfast) for 7 days before surgery and Water. He says if you can't do 7 days of this you aren't apt to do well with the surgery. I agree with him wholeheartedly, but the Protein drinks are making me sick. I am convinced I can do 7 days of just water, and not get dehydrated rather than getting sick on these protein drinks, which is what is happening. I despise the taste of all of them. How safe do you think I would be in doing 7 days of water and Vitamin supplements and not doing the diet drinks. The hunger is not bothering me...but the taste of the protein drinks is sickening. I definitely want to follow the rules, but they shouldn't include being sick to my stomach on these protein drinks. Anyone have any suggestions. I am not hungry...and am determined to get through the fasting phase.

Thanks for the help,

Dody

Dody I use the CIB also but I mix mine in skim milk and add a little hersey's chocolate powder. I get 15 gms Protein and 265 calories per 8 ounces.

It was all I could drink for a few days after surgery.

I don't think doing only Water is healthy.

Have you tried the Isopure Ready To Drink Protein drinks? They have 40 grams protein in 20 ounces and you can get them at GNC.

They are clear so its not like drinking milk. They come in a variety of flavors but the grape seems to be the best liked.

Google Isopure for more info.

Myra

I would not encourage you to go on Water alone. carnation instant Breakfast isn't really considered a 'protein' drink, but it is a great way to get in some Vitamins and Protein. I mix it with High Protein milk and it's a treat to me, but I can see how it would get old fast if it's all the choice I had to drink. Can you add other things like Soups, etc?

Keep your chin up!

Are your Protein Shakes whey based or soy based? You may be allergic to whey or soy. I would verify that then switch. I use soy based because I can't do a lot of dairy. That could be the issue. Skim milk doesn't bother me but if I had lactose based plus skim it probably would. Good luck.

My doctor only wants us to drink prepared (liquid) Protein drinks. Specifically lists Carnation instant as a no no. I don't know if this is valid or not but he thinks the powdered drinks clog the band. Anyway, I don't like them either, but I have found Boost to be tolerable and Slim Fast low carb. You might want to try the liquid ones to see if they are richer in taste for you. I pour mine over ice and I can get them down.

I wouldn't go with just Water.

I need to go out and get a new blender. I'm thinking of experimenting with this Carnation Instant Breakfast, as that is what the surgeon wants me on. I'm thinking it may taste better blended and maybe a little Peanut Butter. Yes, it is getting old just by the second day. I can have Water and I can have diet non-caffeine drinks to keep hydrated also, but I thought maybe Carnation Instant Breakfast might be OK because it really isn't a diet drink. I find it horrible though, so perhaps I need to do some experimenting with it. I will also look into making a trip to GNC. I think he merely wants to know you are committed to sticking to a diet (thank the Lord the whole thing afterward won't consist of this instant breakfast). I'm not really hungry....my problem is lack of exercised because of heart problems and arthritis. I know I have to do something to keep my strength up though. Thanks for the advice.

I'm not even sure this is strictly about shrinking the liver although he wants this to happen, as the fact he wants to know I'm committed to following a diet. Perhaps it is partly both.

Hi Doty ~ I already sent you a PM, but wanted to respond here as well. I love the Body Fortress Protein chocolate Protein Drink :hungry: from Wal-Mart. My doc approved it and many on here suggested it. I have never tried the Carnation so can't tell you of any difference. You do need to have more than Water b/c you do need the strength and healthy benefits from the protein.....it will help in the healing process.

Keep searching and ask you doc if there are other alternatives if you can't do any suggested on this thread. Surely, you are not the first patient to dislike the Carnation, so they should be able to direct you. BTW, I also love the Isopure Zero Carb that Myra suggested. I bought a case of it and it comes in handy when I'm traveling. I put it in a cooler and I'm good to go. Did you make it to GNC yet? I became a gold member and got a discount on my first case of Isopure....ask them about it.

Oh, if your shopping for a new blender, check out the Magic Bullet. I bought mine at Wal-Mart and use it about every day. I LOVE IT!!! It's nice b/c it is personal size. Many people purchased theirs on e-bay. I liked the idea of having a receipt for return if something went wrong b/c they are a bit pricier than the normal blender.

Keep in touch and let us know what you decide to do on your diet.

:)