Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last Meal Syndrome

It seems that for the past 2 months my eating has become incrementally worse. I am craving carbs even worse than before and I would not have thought it possible. The first thing that I do when I get home is open the fridge and eat whatever is easiest. Then an hour later I prepare and eat dinner. About 3 nights a week I make my husband do a fast food run which is WAY more than we normally do that and it's costing us sooo much money. Last night I sent him for a slushy, an ice cream sandwich, a bag of Gummy bears and gummy worms. I keep telling myself as I stuff my face "I won't be able to eat like this much longer." Sheeesh... I am at almost 300 lbs now and when I filled out my paperwork for surgery I was at 280 (in May)..... You think that with my 10 day liquid pre-op and some self discipline in the meantime I can get back to 280 by then?

1 month + 1 day to go!

food funerals are pretty common. But, eating excessively before surgery can 1) make your liver even more slimy, slippery, and bigger making surgery more difficult 2) You're just feeding the bad behaviors instead of working to resolve them

A liquid diet will help with the shrinking liver fatty deposits, but it's not going to do anything for the mental stuff we deal with pre-op.

I know that no one telling you that you'll be able to eat all your favorites again is enough to make you believe it, but I eat everything you have listed up there.

It sounds like your husband is enabling the behaviors. Ask him to help hold you accountable when you ask for these late night junk runs, tell him to tell you NO. Are you gonna be pissed off at him? Probably, but really we should be pissed at ourselves. Stop the madness NOW before you get to the liquid diet, start exercising some of the behavioral changes now so they aren't so difficult to manage post-op.

Thank you. I think this is exactly what I needed here. I have been working on a lot of things. I have been seeing a therapist for a little over a year to get my head straight and see where my food issues started, but these past 2 months it's been like I've just ignored all that I've learned. I need to have a talk with hubby and then he'll probably start having talks with me. LOL.

Gem -

I can totally relate..good bye Butterfinger, BabyRuth and Snickers!... so long Papa Murphys, pizza Hut and Dominoes....and toodle ooo to pastry, maple bars, and scones. Seriously I have found that getting my pantry ready for the "after" has helped and clearing out the Cereal and Pasta dishes satisfied my hunger and cravings.

The new immediate challenge is they just built a Sonic and a Little Ceasars pizza two blocks from my house. So I will do my best to visit before we start that lovely lardless luscious liquid lifestyle on August 29th. :P .

I'm right up there with you but we can do this liquid diet thing. I just plan on not making mine all low-calorie because I am smart enough to recognize I will faint dead away faster than you can say hypo-glycemic! So do your best and leave the rest up to God!

See you soon sleeve-sis. Reb

Yes. I think apple juice will fit somewhere in the liquid diet, but I thought you were doing more than just the 3? I am starting on the 23rd and I can't do it alone!

Ah, I did the food funeral. Om nom nom, nachos and beer for the win last night. I think I am going to miss beer the most. But I started the liquid diet today. I am glad I am not alone on this.

Wooohooo! I expect full details on how day one went. I said I'm starting next Tuesday, but I think I will start on Monday to round it out. EXCITED!!!! We are SOOOO close.

Wooohooo! I expect full details on how day one went. I said I'm starting next Tuesday, but I think I will start on Monday to round it out. EXCITED!!!! We are SOOOO close.

I too am eating like crazy. Everything listed above and oh my favorite..... pizza, Franks Red Hot, Extra Ranch.... and of course Beer! Geez! I start my 2 week liquid diet on Tuesday as well, but I was also thinking of starting the week off fresh and start on Monday! urg! We will see.

Good luck and well wishes!

Going through that too! Darn I'm going to miss my friend, "food". But I look forward to being BEST friends with "skinny jeans"!

I will have to have pizza and beer next week before I start the preop diet. One last time...

Same here! just got severely scolded by my surgeon today and ordered to get on a liquid diet asap in preparation for the surgery on 9/26. I knew it was coming but just lost all self control lately. He told me that I would help determine whether the surgery went smoothly or whether I would create a situation where complications were more likely by arriving with an enlarged liver on surgery day. That's all I really needed to hear. liquids here I come, ready or not.....

I am experiencing less of a food frenzy and more of a self-sabotage. I had to lose 5-10 pounds before my final pre-op appointment. If I gained any within that time, my surgeon would cancel the surgery. Well, I lost 12 by low-carbing and walking. Now I am exactly one week from my surgery and I have gained 10 of the 12 back not by bingeing, but just by not being as strict as I had been in the weeks leading up my pre-op appointment. I enjoyed some carbs (healthy ones, but carbs nonetheless) and wine. It was good, but not as good as I thought it would be after so much deprivation. I am in hope that I can at least lose 2 pounds before the morning of my surgery so that my surgeon does not cancel my surgery on the morning of. That would really suck. I vowed today no more carbs, no more partying. I have come too far to sacrifice my opportunity for a few french fries and some cabernet!

Ducker

I did the same thing and I gained 10lbs in a matter of weeks. Because of that 10lbs I have stretchmarks on my upper outter arms. From my shoulders to my elbows. They weren't there before but after that rapid weight gain they came on. OH how I regret all that food!