Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm all set to be sleeved on 8/9. I've been reading articles non stop on this procedure. CBS news reports in 2004 that many people are dead 5 years from their surgery date. Of course the cause of death is never listed as complications from WLS but usually cardiac arrest. The article says this is directly related to complications such as malnutrition, leaks, infections developing late, etc. I really want to have this surgery but I don't want to live just another 5 years. I want another 40! So tell me, those of you that are post-op, am I being silly worrying about this?

I've heard that there are people on this board who had this surgery years ago but I never see any if their posts. Are you still out there and doing great???

Was this just for weightloss surgery in general or specifically the sleeve? My thought would be that many people who have been morbidly obese for their entire lifetime and waited until much later in life to get the sleeve may have already done some serious damage to their heart. After all, just because you finally lose the weight doesn't undo 40 years of heart damage. I hope that's the case, because I sure the heck don't want to drop dead in my 30s!

Keep researching... it seems unlikely to me that this was referring to the sleeve specifically, because we generally don't have issues with malnutrition like bypass patients do.

Debbie,

I haven't seen the CBS report you're referring to, but it can't be specific to VSG, they haven't been doing it that long as a stand-alone procedure.

The statistic I think is reliable comes from the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery, most recently updated in 2009. Here's the article if you want to read it for yourself:

http://www.asmbs.org/Newsite07/resources/Updated_Position_Statement_on_Sleeve_Gastrectomy.pdf

They analyzed all the studies that have been done, including those where VSG was performed as stage 1 of a two-part surgery (where stage 2 was a duodenal switch) - that was the original use for this surgery and it was done on higher risk patients to help them lose weight and reduce the risk of the second surgery.

The mortality rate ranged from 0.17% (VSG as a stand-alone procedure, what we're doing) to 0.24% (the high-risk group getting it as a stage 1).

So, those are the risks of mortality from the surgery itself.

Post surgery you've reduced your risks of so many issues associated with obesity - heart disease, diabetes, cancer, stroke, etc. etc.

Believe me, I took this very seriously. I was self-pay, and in darned good health even at my highest weight. I wondered if it made sense put myself and my husband through the risk of voluntary surgery. I think the science and facts are most definitely on our side.

Sounds like sensational BS to me, though I have to admit that I don't know anyone that has had the surgery more than a few years ago. My sister had a bypass years ago and now has heart issues although every indication points to it being the same congenital issue that our mother suffered from. My older brother had a bypass too about 3 years ago or so and is doing fine although he gained back some of the weight that he lost initially.

This board is dedicated to people who have a VSG - which is NOT a bypass, this eliminates MOST of the issues associated with a bypass, mainly of malnutrition due to malabsorbtion as NO part of the intestinal tract is bypassed, the stomach is simply made smaller to create a physical restriction. The VSG has only been done for the last 5 years or so, so not much long term data is available. However, removal of parts of or even the entire stomach has been done for decades, sometimes in the case of disease, sometime due to injury or situation like massive ulcers. I've even read about a couple of families that had a double whammy of genes that made it quite certain that they would come down with a certain stomach cancer, they all elected to have their stomachs removed entirely to eliminate the disease taking their lives later. They seem to be doing fine. The people who have this done survive and thrive if they adhere to a proper diet that provides proper balanced nutrition.

It's hard to tell if any such data is real or just sensationalism. So your home work and come to your own conclusion. For me it is a god send.

Gastrectomies, full and partial, have been done for well over 40 years. This is a type of partial gastrectomy. If you want accurate information on the mortality of that, research that. If you follow postop guidelines and eat the way you are supposed to and take your supplements as advised, the risk of leaks and malnutrition are nearly zero. I believe the information you saw was in relation to either gastric bypass or duodenal switch or both.

Our government believes that putting a disclaimer of 'do not ingest' on a tube of Preparation H is critical to ensuring the safety of the people. Don't you think that the same 'powers that be' would ban WLS entirely if masses of WLS patients were dropping dead in the streets after the 5 year expiration point?

Seriously, people are going to have complications and for many of WLS patients, that includes damage to our cardiovascular system that we may not be aware of until it's too late. I'll take my chances...

Only you can decide about an optional surgery, yes there are risks, but not like what was reported back in 2004.

Think about this, if you are reading a report from 2004 and they are reporting on deaths of surgery patients in 5 years - they are talking about patients who had surgery back in 1999 or earlier.

A realative had gastric bypass in 1999 and still alive, kicking and doing wonderfully. Relative has not regained the weight either. Sleeves were not an option then. My relative was the ONLY person in my family who understood my obesity since all others are thin. Relative supported my decision for the sleeve and was my sole supporter during the decision process.

Do you trust diabetic articles from 2004 or would you trust information for 2011 - 7 years ahead. Info you have is old, outdated and has no relavance to the sleeve surgery. Do you have heart conditions? If yes, talk to your surgeon. I had to have an EKG before I was cleared for surgery...and I do not have heart issues. I was a healthy obese lady.

Bests wishes.