Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OMG Im so HUNGRY!

I'm on my pre-op diet, today is my first day. My surgery is on the 22nd, so I have 12 more days of this.

I don't remember what the clinic said I could have in addition to my Protein shakes/bars, and I'm sooo hungry.

I've eaten around every 3 hours a shake, then a Protein Bar, then a shake, Protein Bar, and I'm about to have my last shake for the night - so 5 times today.

However, around lunch time (the 2nd shake), I was feeling very nauseous and weak and I got a small piece of bread and put some liverwurst on it and ate it with my Protein Shake. It was basically 1 piece of a small square bun, that I cut in half and I only had 1 half. I had made both halves, but kept myself from eating the 2nd as I felt a bit better and the nausea had gone. I took a nap for a while as I was feeling beat up.

Anyways, its almost time for my last shake of the day, but I'm starving and feeling sick again. I don't think the shake is going to cut it.

Any recommendations on what I could eat that wouldn't screw up my diet? I'm so close to cheating because of how sick I feel.

Thanks!

When I went to my pre-op class, the nut said we could also have veggies during the day. Like raw carrots, broccoli, etc. But no dressings or anything. So I made a zucchini Soup. Just zucchini, baby carrots, onion with Water and chicken broth. Maybe you can try something like that in between your shakes. As she told us, no one every got fat from eating veggies.

Pre op was so HARD for me. I really started to question my decision to have this surgery during that crazy week. Post op is SO MUCH EASIER!! It is worth it so hang in there.

I was allowed green salads and broth-based Soups. Make yourself a great big salad with broccoli and cauliflower and carrots to fill you up. I was allowed to use non-fat Salad Dressing, and I would add a little lemon juice to make the flavor stretch. I suggest you don't eat refined carbs, they'll only make you hungrier.

Pre op was so HARD for me. I really started to question my decision to have this surgery during that crazy week. Post op is SO MUCH EASIER!! It is worth it so hang in there.

lol, I am also questioning my decision to have the surgery now. Been thinking about whether they will refund me or not (cash patient) and whether giving up the ability to have delicious food is worth it to look better and be healthier.

I'm only 5 weeks out but I've already been eating delicious food...grilled salmon and veggies at july 4th bbq. Also had grilled chicken and carne asada. I've had pad thai noodles with shrimp when i went to lunch with some girlfriends. My mom made some homemade chile colorado (tender beef in red chili sauce) and I'm happy it wasn't too spicy for my sleeve. For Breakfast today I had scrambled egg, a turkey sausage and 1/2 a piece of toast with butter and apricot fruit spread. It was delicious! It will get much better believe me. All of these meals have been about a 1/2 cup in quantity. A part of me does miss being able to wolf down a ham and cheese omelet with a stack of pancakes...but not when I realize I'm not really hungry. My small meals fill me up, and I weigh less now than I have in over 20 years. Yesterday I went to a discount store and bought a size 18 jeans for $13...I couldn't believe they actually fit!!! Now that is a definite first for me (I've been as high as a size 26.) You will be giving up old habits but I think new great experiences will make up for it. At least that is the hope I have as I progress on this journey. I wish you the best gdc in making the right decision for yourself and your health.

That constant hunger was exactly why I needed to get the sleeve! I felt like a vacuum cleaner I couldn't turn off. I didn't do more than one day pre-op prep so I feel for you but don't have advice. At least this dieting won't be in vain!

Pre-op was the hardest part for me! I really had to avoid food situations and stay distracted from it as much as possible. I stayed on this board a lot, texted Griselda, one of my sleeve sisters. I even slept a lot more than usual. Muted all food commercials lol. But post op is not as bad, because by then you've sort of "detoxed" plus the grhelin is mostly gone. And you know its vital to protect your staple line. It's hard but you can do it!! It's so very worth it!! Keep your eye on the prize!

:)

I agree with Adri I am enjoying the new lifestyle changes. I have begun to eat some food now. It does get better! You need to decide if your health improvements are worth the change in your life.

lol, I am also questioning my decision to have the surgery now. Been thinking about whether they will refund me or not (cash patient) and whether giving up the ability to have delicious food is worth it to look better and be healthier.

]

GDC;

DO NOT GIVE UP. I know this seems like inhumane torture, but you can do this for short term. Take each day as just today I am not going to cheat. Your turn to be the belle of the ball is coming up so soon. Hang in there.

You feel sick because your body is very sick. You are not feeding it the sugars, carbs and other garbage it is addicted to getting.

Our stories are similar. I too self paid, I too suffered during the two weeks of liquids only, I too felt dizzy, sick and weak. The sleeve works and in a very short time you will be so glad you made it through this trial period. You can do this!

it gets easier I promise. I felt crappy until about Day4-5 then I feel great!

I hope you are doing better with the preop diet. It gets better, I promise. Leslie, I hope your surgery went well and that you are recovering nicely. I am 6 weeks out and doing very well. :D Ronda

You really need to search your soul. The sleeve is just a tool after the surgery the only person who is there telling you what to eat is you. It is a constant choice. My relationship with food had to change and that was one hell of an eye opener but it has been worth every step of the way to feel better and have more energy! I wish you luck with your journey. The liquid diet is possible... if you are having a hard time with just the shakes call your doctor and see what other options they recommend. :) Good Luck!