Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I attended a Seminar with Dr. Lee Schmit on May 21, 2011. I have my initial consultation with him on Tuesday, June 7. Has anyone used him for their surgery? I think he was the first surgeon in Alabama to perform this surgery and between him and his partner, they have done more than anyone else in the State. He seems great and I have heard nothing but good things about him. But, I'd like to talk to someone specifically who used him.

Anyone?

I attended a Seminar with Dr. Lee Schmit on May 21, 2011. I have my initial consultation with him on Tuesday, June 7. Has anyone used him for their surgery? I think he was the first surgeon in Alabama to perform this surgery and between him and his partner, they have done more than anyone else in the State. He seems great and I have heard nothing but good things about him. But, I'd like to talk to someone specifically who used him.

Anyone?

Hi!

I am using his partner, Dr. Miles for my surgery. I am going for my consultation on June 9th! Hopefully, I can have my surgery in July since I am going to be a self pay. I have heard NOTHING but great things about both doctors. Dr. Miles did my seminar and I appreciated how much time he spent answering my questions after he was finished talking. Good luck!! :)

Boy we really are in the same boat- with our health issues, out-of-pocket pay, and decisions regarding our medical care.

I, too, have heard terrific things about both. I liked that Dr. Schmitt explained what he could do for us if we used him as our surgeon, but didn't "toot his own horn". He would say things like, "Whichever surgeon you choose, make sure he does this, that, and the other." He was open to having everyone there make an appointment with him, but wanted us to have the best care- no matter who we used. I really respected that.

I also liked how he explained everything, but didn't ramble. I had gone, certain that I was going to have gastric bypass. I had read a little (very little) about the sleeve and didn't want it. But, when he explained it, I knew that was route I needed to take.

Good luck and thanks for all the support. I'm sure we'll be crossing paths again.

Hi!

I am using his partner, Dr. Miles for my surgery. I am going for my consultation on June 9th! Hopefully, I can have my surgery in July since I am going to be a self pay. I have heard NOTHING but great things about both doctors. Dr. Miles did my seminar and I appreciated how much time he spent answering my questions after he was finished talking. Good luck!! :)

I hope your initial consultation went well ... I meet with Dr Schmitt this coming Thursday for my 1st office visit. I will be a self pay for VS, and hoping to have the surgery in early august. I am NOT sure what Dr Schmitt will require as far as medical clearances but I have just completed a sleep study and will have a GI clearance (upper endoscopy and lower colonoscopy) in the next couple of weeks. I initially was leaning toward Dr Dennis Smith in the Atlanta area because he has done so many of the VS operations and appears to have a near flawless track record - but after seeing so many good write ups on Dr Schmitt and seeing some of his positive videos I will wait and make a decision after visiting with both Dr's. The Birmingham group would be closer for my family and we had a great experience in Bham with my Dad several years ago with unrelated cancer surgery - so we have kinda been endebted to the Bham area ever since.

Did Dr Schmitt give any indication to how many sleeve's they have done and how many new sleeve's they are doing on average??

I sure wish BCBS would review this procedure and start covering it .....

I wish you well in journey and hopefully 2012 will be a lighter year for both of us ...

hopeful in bama

Anyone?

I hope your initial consultation went well ... I meet with Dr Schmitt this coming Thursday for my 1st office visit. I will be a self pay for VS, and hoping to have the surgery in early august. I am NOT sure what Dr Schmitt will require as far as medical clearances but I have just completed a sleep study and will have a GI clearance (upper endoscopy and lower colonoscopy) in the next couple of weeks. I initially was leaning toward Dr Dennis Smith in the Atlanta area because he has done so many of the VS operations and appears to have a near flawless track record - but after seeing so many good write ups on Dr Schmitt and seeing some of his positive videos I will wait and make a decision after visiting with both Dr's. The Birmingham group would be closer for my family and we had a great experience in Bham with my Dad several years ago with unrelated cancer surgery - so we have kinda been endebted to the Bham area ever since.

Did Dr Schmitt give any indication to how many sleeve's they have done and how many new sleeve's they are doing on average??

I sure wish BCBS would review this procedure and start covering it .....

I wish you well in journey and hopefully 2012 will be a lighter year for both of us ...

hopeful in bama

I'm using Dr. Schmitt. I went to the WL Seminar in August, had my appointment with him in September, and the Saturday support group Sept. 17. I have a sleep study tonight (required). I have a check-up with blood work this Thursday with my primary care doctor. I'll get my medical clearance letter then. I'll call Friday to schedule for the prep for surgery/nutrition class. I hope to have surgery in November! My blood work from my first appointment with Dr. Schmitt came back showing I'm severe hypothyroid. I'm on a synthroid now so I hope that's working to bring my levels within a normal range. Hypothyroid is something that just happened this year. I've seen an endo for two years, but gained another 40 pounds this year so I cancelled my appointment in July! I'm self pay as well. Auburn1159, did you have surgery? How long after you completed the requirements did you have to wait for a date? I'm excited, nervous, and impatient.