Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucerna or Recovery House?

Hi All! I have just sent my deposit to Dr Kelly in TJ for a surgery date of July 29th!!! I'm very excited about getting the healthy part of my life going. I have a question for those of you who used Dr. Kelly...did you stay at the Lucerna or at the recovery house? Trish just asked me which one I wanted and I wanted to get the "experienced opinions" before I decide. Things I'm interested in finding out are...Where are they? How far from the hospital are they? What is the price upgrade for the Lucerna? What type of house is the recovery house (i.e. a private condo type thing or actually somebody's house that you stay at)? What are your general impressions of the place you stayed? TIA for your help.

Congrats on making your deposit and setting your date!!! You will be in great hands! The recovery house option must be new, because that wasn't an option for me. I also did not stay at Lucerne but I hear it's nice. I stayed in the Baja Inn, which was VERY nice! Had a wonderful restaurant with delicious chicken broth. Lucerne is suppose to be an upgrade from where I stayed. Either would be fine probably. Are you going alone or taking a companion? My sis went with me so I was glad for the hotel.

I did not have the option of recovery house but stayed at the Lucerna. This was a very nice property similar to a Marriott. Great pool, dining and service was wonderful. Many patients stay here for various bariatric and plastic surgeons in Mx to the staff is familier with providing great service and most speak English.

Best wishes on your journey! You have selected a wonderful surgeon!

I didn't know there was an option either. I think I may have confused Trish in my e-mail. I said that I wanted 2 days in the "recovery hotel" instead of just 1. She replied with "is recovery home that your talking about or upgrade to Lucerna Hotel?" I didn't know that the Lucerna was an upgrade. I'll be honest, I get most of my info from this site, and I don't remember anyone ever saying is was an upgrade to stay here. I asked her several questions about the differences in the two places and in her next email she didn't answer them. So I came here for more info.

My husband will be going with me, I can't imagine being alone in a hospital in the states, let alone one in TJ!

You normally get 2 nights at the hotel included in the price. The upgrade to Lucerne is $22 a night so total $44 for 2 nights and they said that would cover 2 people.

I had planned on upgrading to Lucerne but it ended up being booked full while we were there. I was a little concerned as to what the other hotel would be like, but I was impressed. There was even security which I never saw a need for. There was a lady actually mopping around the pool lol. And everytime the bellboy saw my sis or me outside looking for something, he was right there. My sis asked about a vending machine, and he was back immediately with 2 cokes for her. There's no vending machine, but it has a tiny little store with stuff. If your facing the hotel it's on the right side entrance. I don't think there was a sign but you can see thru the door window what it is.

Oh and when Dr Kelly came to visit us he apologized for the Lucerne being booked up personally. But I enjoyed where we were, and have never had that good of treatment in any hotel. We did start tipping the bellboy after he got the cokes, and then also brought us ice. And we paid him for the price of the cokes of course. Oh and as soon as we arrived 'for the first time and was registering, he brought us all a bottled Water which was nice since we had just came from our leak test and had not had anything. I didn't hear Trish ask for this but she may have. Or they knew from past guests brought in with Dr Kelly.

The area seemed safe but there was a security guy outside and walking around the parking lot area. Just be careful if you decide to walk to the store across the road cuz they are crazy and speedy drivers lol.

Trish had offered the recovery house to me but I opted for the Lucerna at the 22 per day upgrade, however, as Kelly says, it was booked so we wound up at La Hacienda del Rio (baja hotels is the chain name). it was really nice and is around the corner from Dr. Kelly's office. Their restaurant is very nice and there are taxis waiting just outside lobby if you want to go anywhere. I am sure you will be fine with any of the options.