Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my WLS on 5/5/2011. Since then I have been on the usual liquid post op diet. My typical routine is listed as such... I wake up, start my Protein Drink (11FL. OZ. 30g Protein), take my chewable Multivitamin (1 in the morning and another at night), sip Water through out the day, have a sugar free Popsicle, and repeat the routine for lunch and dinner.

Here is where I feel lost. I have no clue where my stomach capacity is... I AM NOT TRYING TO PUSH MY BOUNDARIES or GO AGAINST WHAT MY DOCTOR HAS INSTRUCTED.

After reading different posts I am getting the feeling that either I am sipping wrong or my surgeon did my sleeve wrong (sarcastic undertone). When I sip, I take in around 1-2 tbsp(s) at a time. I never really timed myself but if I were to guesstimate, it takes me anywhere from 1 - 1.5 hours to finish my Protein Drink. I watched this youtube video of this individual being 2 weeks post op and finishing an 8FL. OZ protein drink would take them 3 hours.

I would love to hear back from anyone in regards to their routines/techniques/etc. I would also like to ask anyone/everyone, "What signs/indicators does your body give you to let you know it's either time to slow down or time to quiet?"

Thank you all in Advanced!

Early, early restriction differs between people, and I think mainly it's due to the amount of swelling people have and how quickly (or not) it starts going down. One of the first concerns I had myself was that I thought I was able to drink too much, or "eat" too much Soup (Is Soup really "eating?"). At that point, less than two weeks out, I was taking only about 20 minutes to have 8 oz. of warm soup, or 45-60 minutes to get down a bottle of Propel Water. Everyone explained to me then the the liquids pretty much run right through and don't sit in your stomach, and assured me that once I started on real foods, I've feel the restriction.

They were NOT kidding. My first meal was 1/4 cup of refried Beans with a little taco sauce and cheese and I couldn't finish it. :D

So don't worry! Be glad that you can get all your fluids in so dehydration won't be an issue for you, and look forward to being blown away by how much you CAN'T eat. :lol:

When do you start mushies, anyway?

Early, early restriction differs between people, and I think mainly it's due to the amount of swelling people have and how quickly (or not) it starts going down. One of the first concerns I had myself was that I thought I was able to drink too much, or "eat" too much Soup (Is soup really "eating?"). At that point, less than two weeks out, I was taking only about 20 minutes to have 8 oz. of warm soup, or 45-60 minutes to get down a bottle of Propel Water. Everyone explained to me then the the liquids pretty much run right through and don't sit in your stomach, and assured me that once I started on real foods, I've feel the restriction.

They were NOT kidding. My first meal was 1/4 cup of refried Beans with a little taco sauce and cheese and I couldn't finish it. :D

So don't worry! Be glad that you can get all your fluids in so dehydration won't be an issue for you, and look forward to being blown away by how much you CAN'T eat. :lol:

When do you start mushies, anyway?

First of all thank you for the reassurance! I start the second phase in 5 days on the 19th. Any menu items you would recommend? Is it bad to start before the recommended time?

Stacy160 is right--whatever fluids you can get in, the better, and don't worry about how fast or slow fluids are.

For mushies i liked things with flavor after all those sweet Protein shakes--mostly mexican flavors, but I did whiz up some Indian food (spinach and chickpeas) in the blender. I liked soft-boiled eggs, too but couldn't finish the whole thing.

I had my WLS on 5/5/2011. Since then I have been on the usual liquid post op diet. My typical routine is listed as such... I wake up, start my Protein drink (11FL. OZ. 30g Protein), take my chewable multivitamin (1 in the morning and another at night), sip Water through out the day, have a sugar free Popsicle, and repeat the routine for lunch and dinner.

Here is where I feel lost. I have no clue where my stomach capacity is... I AM NOT TRYING TO PUSH MY BOUNDARIES or GO AGAINST WHAT MY DOCTOR HAS INSTRUCTED.

After reading different posts I am getting the feeling that either I am sipping wrong or my surgeon did my sleeve wrong (sarcastic undertone). When I sip, I take in around 1-2 tbsp(s) at a time. I never really timed myself but if I were to guesstimate, it takes me anywhere from 1 - 1.5 hours to finish my Protein drink. I watched this youtube video of this individual being 2 weeks post op and finishing an 8FL. OZ protein drink would take them 3 hours.

I would love to hear back from anyone in regards to their routines/techniques/etc. I would also like to ask anyone/everyone, "What signs/indicators does your body give you to let you know it's either time to slow down or time to quiet?"

Thank you all in Advanced!

Keep reading posts here... you will find post after post stating liquids do not give you restriction like solids. This makes sense yes? the liquids go on through... after your sleeve swelling goes down, it goes down even quicker. When you get to solids, the restriction will hit you in the face...hard. Also, do not compare yourself and your results to any one else... especially someone who is losing a TON of weight quickly or someone who is at the extreme of anything. Your body will do its own thing, just follow Drs orders, drink your Water, walk/exercise and get in your protein. Do not worry how long it takes, just do it. Your body will change as time goes and you will have different problems later than you have now. Live in the truth, not in your expectations! There is also a 3 week stall that many people get, do not FREAK about this if it shows up... just search for it here... you will find a ton of company there too....relax.

I didn't have much restriction on the liquids phase. It will be very apparent when you get to more solid foods

I also had my surgery on 5/5/11 & have felt no restriction at all. Cant eat cream Soups with ease and drink tons of liquids. Now i seem to be different then most on this site. Im more worried about getting to mushies then solids and only being able to eat 2 or 3 bites. That seems abnormal to me. I want to lose weight obviously but I hope I dont get just three bites of dinner the rest of my life. That will seem more like a handicap then a tool. Also how can we keep our bodies nourished on that small amount. Im worrying about that alot.

I also had my surgery on 5/5/11 & have felt no restriction at all. Cant eat cream Soups with ease and drink tons of liquids. Now i seem to be different then most on this site. Im more worried about getting to mushies then solids and only being able to eat 2 or 3 bites. That seems abnormal to me. I want to lose weight obviously but I hope I dont get just three bites of dinner the rest of my life. That will seem more like a handicap then a tool. Also how can we keep our bodies nourished on that small amount. Im worrying about that alot.

You aren't "normal" anymore in the sense that you don't have a quart (or larger) sized stomach. Two or three bites will fill you up and your stomach will not want you to put anything else in it. Your head may be a different story. It has taken me a long time to figure out that I don't need to buy, prepare, or serve food in the quantities I used to pre-op. I have thrown away a lot of food that rotted, expired, or grew green stuff in the fridge since surgery. After your stomach matures, you should be able to eat small-sized portions like a thin person would. As for nourishment, you should be taking your Vitamin and Calcium supplements and your body is using your fat to power your metabolism since you are operating at a calorie deficit. Once your fat is gone, you will be able to eat more calories.

Don't worry! You start off with a lot of restriction, but as the first year progresses, you'll have less restriction. It's true that at the beginning, you'll only be able to eat a few bites, and that can seem daunting, but just remember that your capacity will shift a lot over the course of the first year.

Ah, this was so comforting to hear. I was having the same issues. The liquids are not making me feel 'full' and I keep feeling like I could drink and drink. Good to know that this won't be the case when I start my mushy foods on saturday.

Phew! I was getting paranoid that I stretched out my stomach by drinking too much Water and ruining everything!

I can drink and drink and feel no restriction on liquids. But I can not eat 1/4 c of anything pureed (that is my stagee now) It is weird!

I can also only take about 3 small bites of cottage cheese and I am FINISHED!

Kelly ;)