Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey I'm Jenny, I am new here. I am currently 451 and my Dr. has ordered I lose 30 pounds before he will operate. Has anyone else had similar experiences with having to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery?

I think this is pretty common. Not only do they want you to prove that you can be compliant, losing weight prior to surgery helps to shrink the liver which makes surgery safer and easier.

As you become more informed about this surgery that will change your life for the better, you will learn that practically everyone is encouraged to lose five to ten percent of their weight before surgery. It will make your surgery go easier because your liver will be smaller and more pliable. It will also demonstrate that you are committed to this path that you have chosen. YOU CAN DO IT! I bet in your past you have lost that much and more. We are all here to root you on, or pick you up --whatever is needed! Keep us posted. We really do care!!

;)

I think this is pretty common. Not only do they want you to prove that you can be compliant, losing weight prior to surgery helps to shrink the liver which makes surgery safer and easier.

Hi, I also weighed around 440lbs when I started this process in Jan. I am close to my final weigh check in with PCP and have lost 39lbs. I'm glad I've had to do that because it has taught me some discipline.....where it has messed with my head is that I have always been chubby since about 5, and now that I have had some success I wonder if I can just keep going on my own? My husband is also in process for surgery too. He has been sucessful also and we debate this issue sometimes...I'd love to save the almost $5,000 we will have to spend to accomplish the surgery for us both. We have two young daughters and of course there are so many needs in a family! When do you think you will be getting surgery...maybe we can be a support for each other? I think mine will happen in late June! Thanks and keep your "chins" up! Tracy W.

HA HA HA Tracy! Keeping my CHINS up!:P I don't have a date yet, I have almost all the pretests done but my blood gas then I must lose the 30 pounds....which I think I have lost some of buy my scale only goes to 440 so I am not at 440 yet :( We should definitely keep in touch especially since we are about the same size and will be sleeved around he same time (hopefully) !!

Oh you guys are lucky! Only 30ish pounds to lose pre-op? I started losing after my introduction seminar at a local hospital in March and have lost about 35 pounds so far. Yesterday my first surgeon visit went rather poorly I thought. He wants me to lose ANOTHER 70 pounds beore he'll even talk surgery date!! He told me that my "surgery will not happen this summer". :( ARGHHH! 70 LBS? Why so much when y'all seem to require so much less? My current weight is 401.8. Not as much as a few patients i have read about. One was even 500 lbs!. I wonder how much she had to lose?

Jana Kay

JanaKay,

I would get a second opinion.

Valentina

Oh you guys are lucky! Only 30ish pounds to lose pre-op? I started losing after my introduction seminar at a local hospital in March and have lost about 35 pounds so far. Yesterday my first surgeon visit went rather poorly I thought. He wants me to lose ANOTHER 70 pounds beore he'll even talk surgery date!! He told me that my "surgery will not happen this summer". :( ARGHHH! 70 LBS? Why so much when y'all seem to require so much less? My current weight is 401.8. Not as much as a few patients i have read about. One was even 500 lbs!. I wonder how much she had to lose?

Jana Kay

JanaKay, I second that motion on the second opionion!!! I met my preop goal yesterday...needed to be to 400lbs...found out it is what the surgeon insurance says he has to have his patients at...he can't do any larger.....ask if it is because of his insurance....if not it seems he may be a nervous nelly! Let us know! Tracy

I did have to loose weight before my surgery he ask for 20 lbs and to go to support groups. I did weight watcher and walked very night for 30 min. good luck believe me it's worth it.

Hey I'm Jenny, I am new here. I am currently 451 and my Dr. has ordered I lose 30 pounds before he will operate. Has anyone else had similar experiences with having to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery?

Hello, This is my first post. I started off the process weighing 489. My surgeon at Kaiser, Fresno stated that he would set a surgery date as soon as I got down to 450. However, that I would have to have someting put in me to prevent blood clots and it might have to stay in there for the rest of my life. Then he advised that if i was to drop down to 415 lbs that the surgery would be much safer and would not need the device(do not recall what the name is). I am currently at at 426 lbs. I need just 11 more punds to go. The Doctors just to see that you are committed to this. I am so happy that I found this forum. Good luck! Kick ass and take names!

Respectfully,

Joe

Welcome, Joe! You are more than welcome here. Peek in here and there, gather tons of information and please never hesitate to ask a question (doesn't matter how silly you think it is). Above all, please do not hesitate to offer an opinion. Brainstorming is one of the corner stones of this site.

I haven't been here long myself, but have found more support and great information than anywhere.

Again, Welcome!,

Valentina :grouphug:

Hello, This is my first post. I started off the process weighing 489. My surgeon at Kaiser, Fresno stated that he would set a surgery date as soon as I got down to 450. However, that I would have to have someting put in me to prevent blood clots and it might have to stay in there for the rest of my life. Then he advised that if i was to drop down to 415 lbs that the surgery would be much safer and would not need the device(do not recall what the name is). I am currently at at 426 lbs. I need just 11 more punds to go. The Doctors just to see that you are committed to this. I am so happy that I found this forum. Good luck! Kick ass and take names!

Respectfully,

Joe

Loosing the 30 lbs before surgery shrinks the liver and removes some of the fat around your internal organs. It will make the surgery MUCH safer for you. It is very difficult as I remember but, worth it. Good luck!

Hey Jenny, Sure did. My doc told me to lose that same 30lbs.I pushed the antie and lost as much as i could before hand. Doring so helps in many ways. Helps jump start the weight loss and helps with the liquid diet to shrink that liver so it won't get damaged when they move it out of the way on surgery day. It also gives you confidence as well as the docs that you plan to do everything they tell you to do because this is a life changer and it started bf surgery and you have to do everything they tell you after also. After your surgery you are by no means out of the woods yet.

My journey i started out at 485lbs... after researching and considering and more reading and then issues with insurance which all started in 2009, i am finally sleeved, july 8th of this year. 2 weeks out so far. Back to your concern, sorry. Because i started out so heavy as a further safety my doctor put me on blood thinners afterwards..

Ask me all the questions you need that i could possibly answer. Be confident and sure in your choice, don't go through this half cocked.. Good Luck in your journey.

-Brina

Respectfully,

Joe

Probably a Greenfield filter.