Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having surgery April 8th, 2 weeks and 1 day from my 34th bday and am feeling every emotion there is right now. I am thankful that God blessed me with the money to pay for it, happy to begin finally after 2 years of saving, and sad because though I am not a real big eater, I wish I could have lost the weight on my own without needing such a drastic tool. But the main thing I feel is peace. I have been doing a low carb shake diet for 3 weeks and even if I could not have done it, I would still be dieting and eating better. I just feel relieved that finally, I too will be able to get the help so very much needed to help my health.

As for who I am, I am and always will be the same wife, mother, daughter, and friend that I always have been just hopefully smaller in size but never spirit! I know many say it's hard on the spouse or mate after wls but I still believe if the patient is doing it for the right reasons, it will never cause one. Sure, there will always be haters, ppl won't like me for whatever reason and like I ignored them when I am fat, I will ignore them when I am not. But that doesn't mean I changed. It just means I can live life without needing to feel accepted or approved in whatever way.

I can't lie and say surgery is not scaring me....i'm going to Mexico to have a major surgery so that alone scares me. But I am ok with it because it is just as dangerous to carry this extra weight and have blood pressure and heart problems like I do.

So in a week I leave for San Diego and the day after I will be sleeved and finally moving even more towards my goal. I can't wait for my new beginning and who knows, maybe next I really will be able to stop smoking after all this.

I am happy for you!!!!! I just got back from Mexico getting my sleeve by Dr. Almanza two weeks ago and I am 22lbs down and 22 inches smaller with a smile on my face :-) Everything went really good in Mexico and everyone was very friendly and nice. I had NO COMPLAINTS whatsoever. This first month has been tough and different than anything I've ever experienced before as far as getting used to food and drink consumption, but everyday it gets a little easier and better. This is a great site for support and encouragement too!!! Good Luck!!!!!!!!

I am happy for you!!!!! I just got back from Mexico getting my sleeve by Dr. Almanza two weeks ago and I am 22lbs down and 22 inches smaller with a smile on my face :-) Everything went really good in Mexico and everyone was very friendly and nice. I had NO COMPLAINTS whatsoever. This first month has been tough and different than anything I've ever experienced before as far as getting used to food and drink consumption, but everyday it gets a little easier and better. This is a great site for support and encouragement too!!! Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Thanks! Glad you are doing so well!!! I was initially set to go with Dr. Almanza and having the DS but changed my mind after some things (not anything to do with him) didn't sit well with me. I chose another good doctor and another GREAT surgery (Sleeve) after a lot of lost sleep and research. I hope my journey is as great as yours! I am not as big of an eater as some people. I just eat wrong things I guess. But the diet I have been on really prepares me to be ready for the upcoming battles I will have. I do think you are right though regarding the amounts of drink and food consumption. But to be honest, I am looking foward to taking a break from eating a couple weeks.

And yes, this site is gonna be my daily ritual from now own because I need all the info and support I can get before and after my wls!

Ms. Lady,

You sound just like me one month ago today. I had the surgery on 3/3 at the young age of 33, just about a month after my birthday. I knew that it was time to do this as I had tried every other option and I can tell you today that it is the best thing I have ever done. I am a month out exactly today and am down 32lbs. I am starting to feel alive again and enjoying life. My clothes is starting to fall off of me and can't wait to go on my first shopping spree. I will tell you, the first two weeks are the worst and you will regret doing it every now and then when you can't have that big slice of pizza or that big piece of chocolate but as week three and four come and you can add normal foods, you start to feel human again. You will do wonderful and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. If you ever need anything or just need an ear for listening, feel free to send me a message. Good luck on your journey to the new you. Keep us posted!

I hope you will quit smoking prior to surgery -- even a week will help.

Good luck! I was just sleeved on 24 Feb and am doing very well. I quit smoking three weeks prior to surgery (though I was not much of a smoker to begin with) and I feel much better for doing so.

Hello-

The emotions are completely normal. I was on an emotional roller coaster before my surgery. Even after you come home, you will have ups and downs. It is completely normal because you are doing something that is going to change your life - for the bette! Even though it is positive, change is hard, period.

Good luck with your surgery and do what the doctor says and you will come through with flying colors!

BTW, I had my surgery ON my 37th birthday. Should make it easy for me to remember my surgiversary date ;-)

Lara

Ms. Lady,

You sound just like me one month ago today. I had the surgery on 3/3 at the young age of 33, just about a month after my birthday. I knew that it was time to do this as I had tried every other option and I can tell you today that it is the best thing I have ever done. I am a month out exactly today and am down 32lbs. I am starting to feel alive again and enjoying life. My clothes is starting to fall off of me and can't wait to go on my first shopping spree. I will tell you, the first two weeks are the worst and you will regret doing it every now and then when you can't have that big slice of pizza or that big piece of chocolate but as week three and four come and you can add normal foods, you start to feel human again. You will do wonderful and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. If you ever need anything or just need an ear for listening, feel free to send me a message. Good luck on your journey to the new you. Keep us posted!

Thanks Felicity for the insight. Yes I know it is major and for me it will probably be not having my weekly cheesecake anymore that brings me to tears first lol but I just have to remind myself the reason why I am here now and have to do this. I am actually self employed so hopefully hubby will let me take some time off the first few weeks or at least let me go easy so it should be okay. I do go to school Tuesday & Thursday eves so I am leaving Thurs and hopefully home Mon to rest and be back in class Tuesday but class is only 2 hours. All my others are online luckily. Thanks for your prayers, I really can use them and congrats on your new loss.

I hope you will quit smoking prior to surgery -- even a week will help.

Good luck! I was just sleeved on 24 Feb and am doing very well. I quit smoking three weeks prior to surgery (though I was not much of a smoker to begin with) and I feel much better for doing so.

You know, I actually just filled my prescription this morn for Chantix. I wanna stop but don't wanna go off my diet with cravings or irritability from doing so this close to my surgery. I stopped cold turkey the day I found out I was pregnant all 4 times but started up months after. So I know I can do it it's just hard.

Hello-

The emotions are completely normal. I was on an emotional roller coaster before my surgery. Even after you come home, you will have ups and downs. It is completely normal because you are doing something that is going to change your life - for the bette! Even though it is positive, change is hard, period.

Good luck with your surgery and do what the doctor says and you will come through with flying colors!

BTW, I had my surgery ON my 37th birthday. Should make it easy for me to remember my surgiversary date ;-)

Lara

Lara, girl tell me about it! I was actually trying to talk myself out of sending the deposit saying you lost 18 pounds so just keep on but I know this is right. If I can be honest though, I am still worried about losing since I read some people only lose a month or so then nothing after that. But the DS scares me because of the malabsorption so I really hope I am lucky like others with great success. I plan on doing it exactly as told so if I don't lose it will be nothing I did. I was gonna do it the 23rd (my bday) but decided to do it before in fear I would talk myself out of it lol. So it's still a present to me, just a bit early lol. Take care :)

I really hope the urge to eat stays gone after surgery. I have been up since 6am and am just now drinking my shake SMH. I do find that I am more hungry in the eve but think it's out of habit than physical need. But it is not yet to the point that I hate it. I just seem to forget to eat or drink and hubby said that's ridiculous, how can you forget? I told him that I am eating to live now which doesn't require as much as I thought. But I think I do need to come up with a system to keep me on track. We run a biz, just started another this week, and will likely be very busy so eating will be last on my list of things to do. Heck, only reason I am writing here now is because I am taking a break and drinking my late Breakfast. But I just hope I do not go from overeating to undereating. That is just as bad after wls. Well, gotta head out to site but am taking 2 shakes with me just in case.