Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Teachers Out There!??

I am a 4th grade teacher and I was wondering for all of you sleevers who have returned back to work...how is it going? I am on spring break now but next Monday will be my first day back at work. I am worried that I will have a lack of energy or still in some pain. How was walking around the classroom and walking them to all their specials? I only have 25 minutes for lunch and it takes me a good 30 to eat my broth (I am at 1 week post surgery right now). I am afraid that I will talk so much that I wont remember to drink my Water every 15 to 20 minutes. I guess you can say I am a little worried. I am sure I will have to create some sort of routine everyday and reminder system. Just not sure what that is at the moment. Any advice from teachers out there that are going through this??

Though Im not a teacher I'm staff at a school and I sub when I'm needed. I had the same problem. This is my second week back to work. Whe possible, at lunch I take a nap. I also eat at my desk, or if I have to sub, I tend to eat my lunch when I don't have a class. Fortunately, it's a high school so I don't have to walk anyone anywhere. But, I feel your pain.

I hope it gets easier for you!

I am a teacher too! I had my surgery 1 day after you, and will be going back to work next week after a spring break recovery! It will be challenging to get in a routine and on a schedule, but it will be worth it! I plan to eat at my desk, not in the lounge. The smells of things really are bothering me at this point. Also, I plan to start the day with a Protein supplement to help me have energy. I think just being prepared and taking time for yourself is the key - I know that is easier said that done in the classroom!! Good luck!

I am a high school teacher and I had my surgery before Christmas break, spent 2 weeks at home and went back the first of the year. The first couple of days, I was a little tired and felt drained by 2:10. but by the end of the week, I was back in the swing of things. The hardest part was finding time to get in my Protein, since my schedule is very tight with very little down time. But, it all worked out.

Thanks guys! That gives me a lot of options and stuff to watch out for. I think I will just stay away from the lounge for a little while. I think that would help a great deal. I am gonna run to Walmart this weekend and buy one of those really small microwaves for my classroom. Once I feel strong enough I will venture out. Gonna be interesting!

Staying out of the lounge is a great idea!!! I wish I could, but since I float, my desk is there. I didn't advertise my surgery around the department, and it has been kind of awkward explaining why I don't want the food my colleagues constantly bring in and leave around. I swear, sometimes they are more like drug pushers than foreign language teachers!

Hello! I teach 4th grade and I was sleeved January 3rd. I took 4 weeks off. I wanted to be transitioning to solid food when i went back. The first few days were a little tough but then I got into a routine. I bring my Breakfast to work and eat it during homeroom in the morning. I have lunch at 12:45 so I know not to drink after 12:15. I am lucky in the sense that my lunch it 44 minutes. I really had to work to slow myself down because I am used to eating so fast because lunch in short. Until you get yourself in a routine, you can start nibbling on your lunch before you head down there...

I also stay out of the teacher's lounge. We have "fat fridays" where each grade brings in a breakfast dish so I just stay in my classroom. People at work do know I had surgery and for the most part, have been very supportive. There is one lady who is like the food police but I find she is overall an annoying person anyways ;):huh:

I am going to have my surgery in 3 weeks, but I've been thinking a lot about this too. I teach high school theatre, so I'm up and talking most of every period. I am going to try and set an alarm either on my laptop or my ipod (I'll keep it in my pocket) to remind me to drink, since I'll completely forget if I don't. I'm also planning on telling some of my students who like to mother me that it's important that I drink every 15 minutes (they know I'm going out for surgery, but don't know the reason) and see if kids can help remind me. They are so protective, I have a feeling they'll be my best resource! Regarding food - you'll just need to prepack your meals and just plan ahead. But for me, alarms are going to be key.

I teach Kinder. I go back after next week. My second day back is a walking field trip to a farm!! I was like SERIOUSLY?! Field trips drain me when I am feeling my best. I can't even imagine taking my 25 Kinders to the farm and we have to walk there and back. Ay yi yi! Then the 3rd day back is our Kinder articulation meeting. We always take a nice long lunch that day. Wow! Welcome back for me. I can't even eat solids yet. Hopefully we will go somewhere, that I can order Soup. I am pretty nervous about it. Most of the staff has no idea I did this. Only my few closest friends at work. I should be down 30 lbs since I was last at work. I am wondering if anyone will notice. I still don't notice!

Well I am in my second week back. Going well but extremely tired every day!! I love the idea of having the kids help you with liquid intake. I am going to have to try that starting in the morning. It is so hard for me to remember to drink. As crazy as that sounds. I also am having a hard time remembering my Vitamins. It was so easy when I was home recovering. But now back at work it is harder to remember. Thanks for the great idea!!!

Dazy... Good luck!! You are going to be soo tired!! But I am so confident that they WILL notice!!! Mine did and it was a great feeling!!

Hey, Butterfly!

I'm a 10th-grade teacher here -- and I'm wondering some of the same things. I was sleeved on July 7, and I head back to school full-time on August 14. What has been working for you? I'm trying to plan and lay in supplies early... :-)

Thanks in advance!

I am a 4th grade teacher and I was wondering for all of you sleevers who have returned back to work...how is it going? I am on spring break now but next Monday will be my first day back at work. I am worried that I will have a lack of energy or still in some pain. How was walking around the classroom and walking them to all their specials? I only have 25 minutes for lunch and it takes me a good 30 to eat my broth (I am at 1 week post surgery right now). I am afraid that I will talk so much that I wont remember to drink my Water every 15 to 20 minutes. I guess you can say I am a little worried. I am sure I will have to create some sort of routine everyday and reminder system. Just not sure what that is at the moment. Any advice from teachers out there that are going through this??

I teach 7th grade science. I only have about 20 minutes for lunch and some days I don't have that because I have lunch duty. I just figure I will have to use a Protein Drink for lunch and finish it while I am teaching. We are not supposed to eat or drink in the classroom but if the principal questions me then I will get a note from my doctor. I will probably get one anyway before I go back. Most of the kids are protective but there is always one that likes to see if he/she can get the teacher in trouble. I had one of those last year.

Khy

I worked in a High Schooll when I was sleeved last year. I found keeping almonds, Protein Bars and tuna lunch packets in my desk helped me relax and not worry so much about things cropping up and not getting my Protein as a result. I also brought a four pack of greek yougurt each week to keep in the lounge for a snack during off times. I also kept a few Protein Drinks under my desk that I could pop in the refridgerator if I forgot my lunch or got bogged down and missed lunch. It wasn't that bad. Good luck!

Amanda

I was sleeved 2 1/2 weeks ago, and I will be going back to school a week from Monday. I teach middle school special ed. I'm fortunate because I have a kitchen in my classroom, so I can keep everything I need there. I have a stove, full sized refrigerator, and microwave. Like most of you, I only get 25 minutes for lunch as well which wasn't always easy before the sleeve so I'm not looking forward to that challenge. At least I will be a whole month post op by then, so that will make it a bit easier...I hope!:)