Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions about the ACTUAL surgery.

I have, up to this point, been focusing on research for the lap band. After some consideration I decided that maybe VSG would be a better choice for me and I'm curious how the surgery compares to lapband. I've heard lapband is a very short, laproscopic surgery and they can have you in and out in a couple hours.

Is VSH more involved? Is it still outpatient or does it require a hospital stay? I have an appt with my Dr on Thursday to discuss this but I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and bring my best argument (in case she's one of THOSE doctors that look down on WLS in general).

The sleeve does require a hospital stay...recommended 2-3 days.

Crud. That's going to be a tougher sell to my husband. Still...the hospital I'm looking at is within walking distance of his work so maybe not.

The VSG does require a hospital stay, but I was only in the hospital over night, not two or three days. Regarding the length of the surgery time, my surgeon stated it would take the same amount of time as the lap band (I went into my consultation wanted the lapband also, until my doctor advised against it) so it will take approximately one hour. My surgeon however does not do same day surgery so there would have been a hospital stay for the lapband also. Both procedures are done laproscopically with the same amount of incisions. Good Luck, I absolutely love my sleeve.

There are some places doing it on an outpatient basis, but that's not common -- most people are in overnight. The surgery itself is about an hour from start to finish. The video of mine is 45 minutes, starting after they got in there and ending before sewing up, and that included a hiatal hernia repair.

VSG is being performed outpatient, just like the band with a stay overnight. 23 hours is becoming a pretty standard stay for band and VSG. Anything less than 24 hrs stay is considered outpatient.

Some stay longer for either surgery if there is a reaction to anesthesia, typically nausea. You can't go home puking pretty much. But, the gas pains from them blowing up your abdomen with CO2 gas is pretty common with any lap surgery.

One thing to consider with the band is if you're worried about time, or convenience. Check out my blog for information on VSG, and my personal horror story with the band. It's full of information, research articles, scientific studies etc etc for the sleeve.

There is one marked "Lapband information" It's a study by the band makers that shows 25% of band patients need a 2nd (or multiple surgeries) within the first 3-5 years of having it placed. It's on the band makers website so it's not just personal horror stories so you have a 1 in 4 shot of having another surgery within 5 years of having the band placed, not to mention all the long term complications and the rate of revisions being done because of complications or slow weight loss.

Fills, unfills, are time consuming and frustrating. I went through it myself and the sleeve was not offered when I got my band. The band only last 8 months before I revised due to complications, I lost more stomach tissue because of the band than most revision patients, had a leak at the staple line because of the band, and so you won't hear me singing any praises for the band.

You can check out a few forums on obesityhelp.com to get some real life perspective on life with a band. Stats don't lie though, and I always tell people now "Think twice, CUT Once." I always recommend checking out the Revision forum, the Failed Weight loss forum, the VSG and Band forum, you'll see a common trend. People typically do not fail the band. The band fails them, and when it fails, it fails miserably.

I've added you as a friend so you can have access to my blog, and I recommended checking out this link as well. Good discussions and topics for someone new researching VSG.

http://vsgfaq.wordpress.com/

Thanks Tiffykins. I was originally pretty jazzed about the idea of the lapband but now I"m leaning more towards the sleeve.

It seems to boil down to whether I want long term effect/complications/maintenance. Or short term effect/complications.

The sleeve may take longer to recover from, but it may be a better long term solution. My insurance will cover either.

yeah, Tiff and others here influenced me to forget the Band. I am a bit scared, but I don't want the Drama and probable high failure rate of the Band. Do what's gonna work for you and get your hubby informed so he will be able to support you best!