Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so maybe on Thanksgiving I ate too much. I ate very small servings of food three times. I'm talking no more than a cup full at each meal plus I had an egg that morning. Shoot I didn't even have dessert. I dont' see how I could have gotten in more than say 1000 calories but yet I'm up 3lbs from TDay morning. :( I had hoped it would be back down today but no luck. I've also woken up with the worst heartburn yesterday and today for the first time ever.

1000 calories is too many calories a day unless you're burning 200 of those a day on exercise. Are you? Obviously, the combination of foods you ate did not agree with you, hence, the heartburn. Too rich and wrong combo.

This whole WLS thing is a lifestyle change mostly which means even on holidays you can't eat like you used to back in the day. Go back to your regular food schedule and drink lots of Water. You're probably retaining water from the salt in the food. My husband goes up and down 2-3 pounds a day just in normal non-WL eating. Of course he eats very fast and then holds his chest due to the heartburn and wonders why he doesn't feel good. I've given up trying to explain the eating too fast issue to him. For lunch today he had Medifast chicken Soup ( a diet food) and then cuts up 10 slivers of fattening cheese, triscut crackers and a bunch of tomatoes. Bet that goes down real well. That has nothing to do with you, but you get my point. He was complaining this morning that his weight was up, well DUH, I'm thinking, look at what you eat?! For you, just get back on track. Everyone - except me who needs to gain a little - gains a couple pounds with the holidays. The main point is to get it back off ASAP.

All of us who've been on diets in the past (before VSG), what was the average calorie intake to lose weight? For most, probably 1200-1500 cals a day to LOSE weight. So now that we all have smaller stomachs, why is 1000 cals too much?

Shouldn't the same math apply? We should all be able to lose on 1200 cals per day.....

I understand that with a smaller stomach, it is easier to eat less than 1000 cals per day, without feeling hunger, like we would have previously, but still the metabolic math should be the same and we should be able to lose on the 1200 per day.

Now for this issue, it is probably attributed to sodium, carbs and such. I think your weight will come off when you get back to your normal eating habit.

Just my 2cents

I was thinking sodium and carbs also. I know when I was doing Atkins a while ago that I was going strong then I ate some tortilla chips and salsa at a get together and whamo the next couple of days the scale went up 2 pounds...I only ate a handful what the heck! The rest of that day (think it was 4th of July) I was a good girl, heck I only ate a hamburger patty with cheese on it! Dang scale. Dang sodium. Dang body!

All of us who've been on diets in the past (before VSG), what was the average calorie intake to lose weight? For most, probably 1200-1500 cals a day to LOSE weight. So now that we all have smaller stomachs, why is 1000 cals too much?

Shouldn't the same math apply? We should all be able to lose on 1200 cals per day.....

I agree, haven't been under 1000 for like 2 months and am losing just fine. I do go to the gym several times a week, but usually no more than 4x.

I find that my weight goes up a pound or 2 if I haven't gone #2 in a few days. It could also be the result of some Water retention from high salt intake (not sure what you ate at Thanksgiving).

I had mostly turkey a teaspoon of stuffing, mac n cheese, green Beans, and sweetpotato. I don't want to get down really low in calories I don't think it's good for long term WLS and I'm nursing a little one. I should be losing plenty at 1000 cals a day. I even had heartburn thsi morning after eating everything right yesterday : / Just don't know.

I don't drop pounds OR inches unless I eat at LEAST 1000 calories a day! I tried to do the 600-800 everyone talks about on here and I had a stall for three and a half weeks. Went to 1000-1200 a day and I have been dropping steadily.

I think your T-day meal had a little more sodium than usual and it takes a few days to get rid of Water weight. I also have a sneaking suspicion MSG doesn't do us any favors either and a Thanksgiving meal has plenty of that stuff!

I don't drop pounds OR inches unless I eat at LEAST 1000 calories a day! I tried to do the 600-800 everyone talks about on here and I had a stall for three and a half weeks. Went to 1000-1200 a day and I have been dropping steadily.

I think your T-day meal had a little more sodium than usual and it takes a few days to get rid of Water weight. I also have a sneaking suspicion MSG doesn't do us any favors either and a Thanksgiving meal has plenty of that stuff!

DJ, I'm sure it will come off soon! Like others said it is probably sodium/water retention.

FJM - OMG, I think I should try this. I have yet to break over the number 800 (cals per day) and I'm 5+ weeks out. I should try it and see what happens!

1000 calories is fine and yes exercising at least 3 times a week helps. I have been doing around 1000 calories but haven't been exercising (started again on friday) and lost 1 kilo, 2.2 pounds after a 3 week stall, which isn't very much but at least I haven't put on weight, had people visiting from South America so my eating hasn't been what it should've been I would recommend not to weigh very often, because fluctuations are so unpredictible, bloatness, Water retention, lack of bowel movements, etc

I know that for my build, a diet of 1200-1400 cal/day plus exercise is recommended to lose weight

What are your stats/build?

What are your stats/build?

Well I'm 167 pounds now and my height is 5 4 requirements to maintain this weight is around 2300 cal and to lose weight I should have up to 1000 cal less then my daily requirement, which is about 1300. Supposedly less then 1400 cal isn't recommended, but obviously our situation (having had the op) is different. There'sa formula that calculates your required calorie intake according to weight height age and level of activity. Oh and I'm 41:P

Well I'm 167 pounds now and my height is 5 4 requirements to maintain this weight is around 2300 cal and to lose weight I should have up to 1000 cal less then my daily requirement, which is about 1300. Supposedly less then 1400 cal isn't recommended, but obviously our situation (having had the op) is different. There's a formula that calculates your required calorie intake according to weight height age and level of activity. Oh and I'm 41:P

Well I stopped losing weight over a month ago, exactly when I incorporated a weights routine into my daily exercise and made my cardio more intense (elliptical instead of tread). On 800 calories not only have I stopped losing weight, but I have gained a pound and a half. I'm devastated. I'm going back to 600 calories for a week to see if it helps. I'm afraid though that eating so little will f*** up my metabolism and BMR in the long run and that this is the real reason why wls-ers end up gaining after they reach goal. I'm afraid that my metabolism will be so screwed up that any deviation from 600 calories will result in weight gain.

help me, please.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/calorie-intake-to-lose-weight.php

Basically the formula for women is:

Basal Metabolic Rate: 655+(4.3x weight in pounds)+(4.7x height in inches)-(4.7 x age)

Times this result by 1.55 (fro moderate activity) this will give you your recommended daily amount of calories)

Recommended daily calories minus 500 (to lose a pound a week) to 1000 (to lose 2 pouinds a week)

This gives you the amount of calories you should be having a day to lose weight-hope this helps :P

http://www.bmi-calcu...lose-weight.php

Basically the formula for women is:

Basal Metabolic Rate: 655+(4.3x weight in pounds)+(4.7x height in inches)-(4.7 x age)

Times this result by 1.55 (fro moderate activity) this will give you your recommended daily amount of calories)

Recommended daily calories minus 500 (to lose a pound a week) to 1000 (to lose 2 pouinds a week)

This gives you the amount of calories you should be having a day to lose weight-hope this helps :P

Wow, that's convoluted, lol! If I did it correctly, then I should be eating ... 1800 calories a day! That's physically impossible, unless I'm sucking down high calorie Protein shakes all day long. Does any sleever anywhere take in that much?? Tiffykins, where are you, I need your input!

If that was the case, wouldn't my surgeon have told me this, instead of 600? If there are any sleevers out there who lost at least 12 lbs a month during the first 6 months, please contact me!