Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Naps, and the lack thereof

It just dawned on me today that I haven't taken a midday nap since the first couple of weeks after my surgery on July 21. I'm a full time college student, and it used to be that I would come home from school and pass out in my dorm room/apartment for a good three hours. Now, I come home and stay up until 1:00 AM doing homework (probably B)) without a nap, and feel no ill effects. It's great to have such energy. This alone, ignoring the purely cosmetic effects of the 58 lbs. lost since May, make this surgery worth it. :glare:

Wow, way to go! Do you have before and after pictures anywhere? 58 pounds in four months is excellent!

Dave

Wow, way to go! Do you have before and after pictures anywhere? 58 pounds in four months is excellent!

Dave

I have plenty of before pictures (sadly :glare:) but no after pictures yet - though I'm going out with my cousins tomorrow, so I may have some to share.

Thanks for the kind words.

Sounds like a definite NSV!

I've noticed the same thing - I'm "only" down 38 pounds but I have a lot more energy and no longer need to nap when my kids nap.

Congrats, and I'm sure things will only get better as you continue to drop those pounds!

~Cheri

Can't wait till I'm all healed up and am out the "right of operation" phase and go without naps. I never really napped before but right now being 5 days post op I slept till Noon today and feel like I could nap right now. Want...energy....now. Haha.

Congrats on your renewed energy GoKart!!

Guess what ya'll, i finally am not having cravings for night eating! Took long enough, but we all progress on our own pace! I'm proud of myself. . . even though i had that dreaded night cravings i was blessed and didn't gain at all. . . i count my blessings everyday cause i might run out! so cheer up to those who are struggling it does get better and better as your lifestyle changes. . .

I agree... it is great to have more energy and no nanna naps, although I find that just lately I have started to burn the candle at both ends, so I might indulge in a little nap out of choice not need..lol

I used to be the same way - come home from work and drop onto the couch for a nap, then toss and turn all night and wake up feeling awful. Now.....I don't need a nap, and I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow at night and don't wake until morning and I feel great!

It just dawned on me today that I haven't taken a midday nap since the first couple of weeks after my surgery on July 21. I'm a full time college student, and it used to be that I would come home from school and pass out in my dorm room/apartment for a good three hours. Now, I come home and stay up until 1:00 AM doing homework (probably :001_smile:) without a nap, and feel no ill effects. It's great to have such energy. This alone, ignoring the purely cosmetic effects of the 58 lbs. lost since May, make this surgery worth it. :001_tongue:

I am so there with you, GKM! Used to be that an afternoon nap was absolutely mandatory for me, I couldn't drag myself out of bed before 8am (if then), and I absolutely had to be in bed by 9pm. Even on weekends. Kind of made any life at all a little difficult. As recently as January through March, I was taking a single biology class, and I'd come home from that so exhausted that I'd have to go straight to bed, and study in the mornings before class. Incidentally, I ended up with a C- in the class, and haven't gone back to school since, and instead started focusing on making my jewelry business take off.

Anyway, now I can get up at 4am if I have to, no afternoon naps (although flopping for a half-hour on the sofa and reading is a nice break around mid-afternoon), and if I feel like it, I don't go to bed until 11pm or so.

Still seems a little weird, to be honest (not in a bad way, though!). I'd always identified with the idea of not being a morning person, and here I'm all perky and chipper at o'dark-thirty. WITHOUT a cuppa.

At first I was really suspicious, thought maybe I was slightly hypomanic (bipolar disorder, type II), but A) I'm not crashing, and :thumbup1: I don't feel jittery. I just have energy that I never had before. Now I'm just starting to accept it as part of my new normal, and relishing it.

Edited by WildIris

Dave

The after picture isn't exactly the clearest in the world, but there are the closest matching pictures I could find. In these, the difference is most obvious in the face, though the stomach is quite a bit smaller too.

Left: July 3, approx. 325 lbs.

Right: September 25, 271 lbs.

ba.jpg