Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Still Having Big Problems and I Need Suggestions

Hi All!

The first week seemed to be ok, but the 2nd week is horrible. I went to my 2 week post-op on Thursday and the surgeon threatened to put me back in the hospital because I can't get in enough fluids and am dehydrated. He said to concentrate on the fluids, but 3 sips land on the esophageal sphincter and it hurts until the 3 sips can pass through. I was able to 'eat' a lobster bisque (about 2 ounces) for dinner tonight, but it seems to be sitting at my throat.

I had to go to the ER last night because of a fever of about 101 and they gave me fluids and antibiotics and said I had a urinary tract infection (I couldn't tell because I had no pain). I think it might be because I can't get fluids in and my system isn't used to going so little.

Any suggestions/comments? Any one else have this type of problem 2 weeks after surgery?

Other that the above, I haven't had any pain/problems and never even had pain meds after I was released from the hospital.

Thanks for your help,

Terrie

Terrie, I'm sorry you're having a difficult recovery. Are you on any type of medication that could relax your esophagus? I know a couple of members that had hiatal hernia repair, and struggled with spasms as well. They ended up going on some medication that helped resolve the issue. I'll search around and see what medication they were prescribed, and try to come back here and post their replies.

I hope things get better soon. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

The doctor recommended Zantac chewable, but I couldn't find any so I just started taking Pepcid. The other thing the doctor prescribed was metoclopramide because he thought I might have something called gastroparesis in which the stomach takes a long time to empty.

My signs and symptoms of gastroparesis are:

heartburn

nausea

early feeling of fullness after only a few bites of food

abdominal bloating

Thanks for your help,

Terrie

Reglan definitely helps with the nausea and that full feeling. I think one of the members here was on a low dose valium to relax the esophagus and help control the spasms.

Are you on something like Prilosec, Protonix or Nexium? The Zantac and Pepcid drugs work a little different than the PPI drugs. The Zantac and Pepcid only treat the symptoms of acid reflux or peptic ulcers. Where Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Protonix all stop the acid from producing and causing you discomfort?

I had a weird gnawing feeling an hour after eating. It was acid even though I didn't have any "heartburn" the Prilosec RX I went on resolved the issue completely before it got worse.

I am sorry that you are experiencing this. Do you have any idea what size sleeve you are (32,34 ,36, or 40?) I am a 40. My surgeon says he no longer does smaller sizes because it causes too many problems with getting fluids down. Unfortunately, I can get down more fluids than others and I wonder if later I will eat more than others. Good luck and hope your esophages calms down soon!

Hi All!

The first week seemed to be ok, but the 2nd week is horrible. I went to my 2 week post-op on Thursday and the surgeon threatened to put me back in the hospital because I can't get in enough fluids and am dehydrated. He said to concentrate on the fluids, but 3 sips land on the esophageal sphincter and it hurts until the 3 sips can pass through. I was able to 'eat' a lobster bisque (about 2 ounces) for dinner tonight, but it seems to be sitting at my throat.

I had to go to the ER last night because of a fever of about 101 and they gave me fluids and antibiotics and said I had a urinary tract infection (I couldn't tell because I had no pain). I think it might be because I can't get fluids in and my system isn't used to going so little.

Any suggestions/comments? Any one else have this type of problem 2 weeks after surgery?

Other that the above, I haven't had any pain/problems and never even had pain meds after I was released from the hospital.

Thanks for your help,

Terrie

Are you on something like Prilosec, Protonix or Nexium? The Zantac and Pepcid drugs work a little different than the PPI drugs. The Zantac and Pepcid only treat the symptoms of acid reflux or peptic ulcers. Where Nexium, Prilosec, Prevacid, Protonix all stop the acid from producing and causing you discomfort?

No I am not, but I might call my primary care because she said to just give her a call and she would call in a prescription if I had a problem with the surgeon. (She was very supportive of the surgery). She did mention that there is a Prevacid Solutab that just dissolves that she would prescribe for me.

I'll keep you posted regarding the outcome,

Terrie

Do you have any idea what size sleeve you are (32,34 ,36, or 40?)

No I don't have any idea about the sleeve size. It wasn't even a question that I asked. I just relied on his expertise.

Terrie

Have you tried warm liquids? After a nurse suggested a cup of tea to me in the hospital when I was struggling to get anything down, I latched on to the idea and ran with it - especially after remembering that several people on VST had success with warm liquids after surgery. Eventually, my esophagus and stomach loosened up enough for me to get more liquids down, including Water. I'm now enjoying cold water, which was extremely painful on my esophagus the first two days. I had the hernia repair and that extra bit of pain was AWFUL right after surgery. My esophagus didn't really loosen up until the night before I went home. I'm also taking liquid gaviscon until I can swallow my acid reducer - which is a big pill.

I had the same problem. What was so weird was it was several days,,,maybe even a couple of weeks before I had trouble getting in liquids. Try chicken broth. I agree that warm liquids may be better. I was taking pepcid too on the advice of my Dr. but Tiff told me to try prevacid. It helped me a lot!

Thanks for the suggestion Mary. I have tried warm liquids and they seem to help a little. I'm also trying a heating pad while I'm drinking. My girlfriend, a Vet, recommended chewing on beef Jerky or steak, but not swallowing. Apparently, the chewing causes the trigger points in the esophagus to start working. I am trying that also. It seems to help a little. Also, I have begun to eat Soups, even if I am not getting all my Protein in. At least the Soup give some enjoyment and leaves me less stressed and my stomach seems to like it.

Tiffykins - I did get a my PCP to prescribe Prevacid Solutabs. They better be good, LOL, because after insurance they were only $50.90. Yikes! But any price would be good to help with this problem.

It did seem to go better today. In the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow's another day."

Terrie

Thanks for the suggestion Mary. I have tried warm liquids and they seem to help a little. I'm also trying a heating pad while I'm drinking. My girlfriend, a Vet, recommended chewing on beef Jerky or steak, but not swallowing. Apparently, the chewing causes the trigger points in the esophagus to start working. I am trying that also. It seems to help a little. Also, I have begun to eat Soups, even if I am not getting all my Protein in. At least the Soup give some enjoyment and leaves me less stressed and my stomach seems to like it.

Tiffykins - I did get a my PCP to prescribe Prevacid Solutabs. They better be good, LOL, because after insurance they were only $50.90. Yikes! But any price would be good to help with this problem.

It did seem to go better today. In the words of Scarlett O'Hara, "Tomorrow's another day."

Terrie

Fingers crossed that Prevacid works for you. Once the spasms get under control, Prevacid (not the solutabs) are available OTC and it may be less expensive that your co-pay. I know a few members love, love, love their Prevacid.

I hope you get some relief soon. Check the RX pamphlet and make sure you don't need to wait 30-60 minutes before eating after taking those solutabs. With Prilosec and Nexium, it's recommended to wait a minimum of 30 minutes before eating after taking them.

Sorry to hear you're still having the swallowing issues...... hopefully with the new drugs they'll help resolve it... in the end its better to get liquids in no matter what they are, with Protein as a secondary importance - the last thing you need is to end up back at A&E for hydration.

Good luck hun.... you know where I am! - although Tiffykins is invaluable in her knowledge, I am very good in shoulder support! :))

Kathy

Ya know, I started adding unflavored Protein to all my Soups because I had so much trouble getting Protein in. I could not taste it at at all. I think I used powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

Thanks for the suggestion Mary. I have tried warm liquids and they seem to help a little. I'm also trying a heating pad while I'm drinking. My girlfriend, a Vet, recommended chewing on beef Jerky or steak, but not swallowing. Apparently, the chewing causes the trigger points in the esophagus to start working. I am trying that also. It seems to help a little. Also, I have begun to eat soups, even if I am not getting all my protein in. At least the Soup give some enjoyment and leaves me less stressed and my stomach seems to like it.

Terrie

Thanks for all the suggestions. Zephra - I was just on the unjury website again and was going to get the unflavored Protein powder. It might be nice to mix with my Water. I do have the strawberry, so I thought I might try to mix with my Water, crystal light and benefiber. After all of that, does it still qualify as a liquid? LOL

@Tiffykins - I did check the directions/warnings and can even take my medicine at the same time, but I would wait anyway... Why push it? It would be nice to take OTC and as soon as I can swallow a pill big enough, then I will. Luckily, they do have the option of a solutab for people like me.

Just in case I'm developing a lactose issue that could be masked by the other issues, I started making my shakes with Silk (Soy Protein) instead of milk. There isn't much you can put in a shake that you can taste over the strong taste of the shake, so it isn't as bad as I imagined.

I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks again for your replies and suggestions.