Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going alone to see Alberto Aceves or......

This is the thing-

Assuming my credit union adds the cash to my credit line, I will be having my surgery 1/8. I'm sooo excited. The easiest thing would be to go alone because my DH and I have a 7 month old baby and we don't want to leave our son with family for that long. Would it be feasible or practical for them to come with me and stay at the hotel at night and just visit me during the day?

I also could bring my 14 yr old daughter with me (she'd probably love it)

Or.. I can go alone.

For those of you that have been there, which would be the best thing to do?? I know alot of it is personal preference but yall know way more than I do. What do yall think?

Anyone here that will be having the surgery then as well??

post-1271-13813655891828_thumb.jpg

Why don't you contact Nina or Renee or one of the coordinators? When you bring a person with you, they can stay in the hospital room with you as there is a leather couch in the room for them to sleep on. I doubt that your 14 year old would have much to do unless she likes to read or Ipod. There is a tv but not many channels. I took a friend with me and she walked around the area but was unable to find a shopping center and she basically read or listened to books on her ipod while I rested or walked around the halls of the hospital. The wing is small and so you will have access to other Aceves patients while there and that might be all the socialization you need while there. If you don't have to deal with connecting flights at an airport to get home, I think doing it alone is quite easy.

Before I went, I contacted Nina. She can help you with hotel arrangements at the Lucerna for your family (she may be able to get you a deal on the cost). I think Ernesto can then pick up your family at 7:00 A.M. and bring them to the hospital. He then makes a return trip to the hotel at about 4:30 P.M. to drop them off. Anyway, this was all a couple of weeks ago so just check with her.

There are malls, etc to go to for your family if they want. Several of the family members with other patients took taxi's to the malls and had no problems getting around. There are plenty of places to eat (alot of American chain restaurants).

The hotel was wonderful and I am actually planning a 4 day weekend with my family to go back this spring just to hang out. Your family would probably enjoy just hanging out there in the evening. Most of the patrons that were there the night I was there were American.

Hope this helps! You are gonna love your experience with Dr. Aceves:biggrin0:

Edited by 3636millie
spelling error

I had surgery with Dr Aceves on 11/23. I have a baby as well - he was 10 months at the time. We decided it was best for him and my husband to just stay home. He's a terrible sleeper and doesn't do well with change, and the thing is, I wanted him on his usual routine when I got home!

I had no trouble going alone, although I was worried. Lucky for me, I traveled back on T-giving day, which is not a big travel day (unlike the day before) so my plane was mostly empty. I did this on purpose...just try to find a flight that is relatively empty.

Best of luck!

I have been twice to Mexico for surgery and I went alone both times, with that being said would I have wanted someone there? Yes and no! While you are in the hospital there is very little for them to do, and when you get out you won't feel like doing a lot. As one of the earlier posters stated if she is okay sitting around a lot then take her. Do you have a laptop? Does she have an Ipod, lots of videos to watch, books. These are just suggestion of things for her to bring. Might be a good bonding experience for the two of you!

Good luck, and happy losing

Bernadette

I was glad my girlfriend was there for the surgery and then left. I would have been stressed out about her being uncomfortable and bored the next 4 days I was there or at the recovery house. I didn't go to Aceves though, the hospital room I had only had a recliner for her to sleep on.

Bill

I went from New York to Mexico (Dr. Aceves, the best. Really. THE BEST.) and back, alone, to have my sleeve surgery. I recommend it. Here's why:

I was alone and could sleep, wake, walk around and convalesce on my own schedule. This allowed me to have a pretty quick recovery. First of all, there was no one to do anything for me so I had to do it myself, but also I was bored and was more inclined, I think to walk around and explore, take a shower etc. which pushed my recovery. I could sleep when I wanted, watch TV when I wanted. Do everything at my own pace. I didn't have to speak to if I did not want to - kind of a wonderful, luxurious, QUIET vacation.

Additionally, all I had to focus on was my recovery. I didn't have to worry if another person was bored, had eaten or wanted to go back to the hotel etc. Although the hospital is comfortable enough for another person, it is really boring. A couple of the pairs of support people I saw there got into squabbles over little things - even though the friends and relatives meant well it's hard when you are feeling cranky after a surgery.

The only difficult part was the travel. If I had to do it over again, I would not have brought heavy things like my computer and books. Other than that, the plane and taxi trip was not a big deal really.

Hi Tennessee! I am leaving for San Diego in the morning! I have my lab work tomorrow and then surgery with Dr. Aceves on Tuesday. I can't wait. I am going alone. I have three kids and my husband needs to stay home with them. I was nervous about going alone but after reading everyone's responses to your post, I feel totally fine. I am so grateful for this forum.

I really can't wait for the surgery to be behind me. I am so excited!

I will let you all know how it went.

Please do Jillyr!! I'm sooo excited for you!!! You WILL be fine. You're in my prayers and ditto for me- this forum and everone here is AMAZING! Email me anytime if you need to talk while you're there or after... Good luck. Go and don't look back!

Good luck tomorrow!!!

Don't be worried about being alone the first 2 days you sleep most of the time. You won't feel like visiting, and if I would have had someone there I would have worried about them being comfortable.

Sending you cyber hugs for Tuesday!

Bernadette

Awww, thanks for the cyber hugs! I am in my room at the Lacerna Hotel. I had all my preop work done this morning and then I went out for mexican food and drank two beers before settling in for the night. I am about to fill out my paperwork and then take the Ativan they gave me. Did you guys know Dr. Campos had the VSG about five months ago? I hadn't heard that from anyone on the board, so I was surprised. Did you guys know Earnesto (the driver) had the VSG recently too? Of course, Dr. Aceves did it for both of them. Dr. Campos told me he has lost 50 pounds since the surgery. He is a very small person; I cannot imagine him getting any smaller. He said the best part about the surgery is that when he goes out to eat, he does not order anything to eat. He just has a little taste of food from his family. He said the cool part is that he never has to pay because he never ordered anything! He is pretty funny. He looks sooooooooo young. He is obviously very knowledgeable and thorough. I very much liked him and Dr. Aceves! Actually, everyone here is pretty darn wonderful!

So, I have surgery in the morning. I am getting kind of jittery. I can see why they gave me that Ativan!

Jilly-You'll be in my thoughts and prayers ALL night long as I lay awake hoping my credit union is giving me the $$ tomorrow to have my surgery on Sat. We'll be WLS BUDS!!! Good luck. Ahhh... I can't wait till somebody says to me: Move your boney a$$ outta my way, or go sit your little scrawny butt down, here, let me help, you're too little.... heheheh. I'm LMBO!!

Hey Jill

I'm jealous, no fair you got to eat before!!! I was on a liquid diet for 3 days ahead of time. I hear you with the sleeping pill, I took one with me in case I couldn't sleep and used it too.

Good luck!!! Happy thoughts!

Bernadette

Okay, this is it. i am meeting the driver in the lobby at 7am.

I will see you on the other side. I am definitely nervous.

xoxo