Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op diet difficulties!!

I am 3 days into my pre-op diet and it is rough!! I have no problem with the cutback on food, but I'm am having trouble choking down the Protein shakes! The smell, and taste are horrible...and when I finally do get one down, it feels like it's going to come back up for the next few hours(which is unfortunate because I spent over 200$ on fusion protein powder)! I have tried it with crystal light, Water, and milk but nothing works. I am worried that if I am having this much trouble before surgery how is it going to be after?

Why can't they just make a protein pill!! There has to be an easier way, I could really use some advice or ideas!!

Oh yeah, and I have been feeling sooo tired, weak, sickly, and I have been getting headaches...am I doing something wrong???

Help please anyone!!

Happy Holidays!!

Unfortunately, Protein powders/mixes and I never got along with the exception of one brand.

I would recommend ordering just some samples that you maybe able to tolerate. My biggest issue with a lot of the Protein powder/mixes is the smell/taste and texture.

You can order a sample pack of 16 flavors of the Optimum whey protein that I could tolerate for $18.99.

I would be willing to bet that if you can't stand the ones your trying now pre-op, you won't be able to tolerate them post-op either.

This is the only protein that I could remotely tolerate, and I tried over 20 brands, flavors and even tried soy protein.

Bodybuilding.com - Optimum 100% whey Protein - With Faster-Acting HYDROWHEY! On sale now!

On the left hand side of the webpage, you will see the option to purchase the sample pack. I've referred this brand of protein to several post-ops who could not tolerate any other supplement, and they all love it. My husband uses it as a recovery protein after lifting weights, and he uses the Extreme Milk chocolate flavor.

I enjoyed this brand because there is absolutely no horrific taste, or texture. Mixed completely in a shaker bottle with no foaming or frothiness. No gritty protein texture, and absolutely zero protein smell. It tastes like Swiss Miss hot cocoa mix.

We mix it in Water. I don't use it currently because I get my protein counts from food sources now.

You can also order samples from Vitalady.com

Here's the link for the Syntrax nectar, click on nectar and Nectar Sweets links, you can order samples for $1.99 The only flavor I really could tolerate was the caribbean cooler. I'm not a true fan of the Nectar because they were too sweet for me post-op.

Hope these help.

I really do well with EAS chocolate fudge from costco. . . the only problem with them is they taste like watered down soy milk and seem to be never ending. . . 17oz lasts forever. . . (I'm not even sleeved yet) I really like soy milk, so this doesn't bother me, only it's like too watered down. . . tastes not too bad, and when you burp it's not bad either . . . it has 42g Protein and 300 calories. . . so 2 shakes should do you and then the small protein meal at the end of the day. . .

I've been drinking the nectar & some of them are very very sweet. But I think my favorite is the strawberry kiwi - if you mix it with Water it tastes like liquid Jello. It doesn't have the weird smell & texture of some of the other Nectar shakes. Does your bariatric office have any Protein samples you can get? Mine gave me free samples of a variety of different Nectar shakes & a Matrix Cookies & cream shake. That's a good way to go if they're available because then you can try 'em before you buy 'em. :biggrin0: I'm with you, though. I've been doing 3 4oz. shakes a day for almost a week now for my pre-op & that Nectar chocolate Truffle that once tasted like chocolate milk is now getting...bleh :angry:. I just ordered the sample pack Tiffy recommended too, so hopefully those will be better! :blushing: Keep plugging away and soon we'll be sleeved, sleeve sister! :thumbup:

Ok, so I just found the sheet my dietitian gave me listing some ways to use the Protein mix without making a regular shake including adding unflavored Protein (there's a brand called powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury but I haven't tried it) with instructions for protein pudding, jell-o, Soup, yogurt.

You can also make a "dreamsicle" by mixing a vanilla protein w/ sugar-free tang or dlat diet orange soda. Protein colada by mixing vanilla protein mix w/ 2 drops of imitation pineapple extract + 2 drops imitation coconut extract. Root beer float by mixing vanilla w/ flat diet root beer.

Let me know if you want the "recipes" for the pudding/jell-o/soup/yogurt. I'm too lazy to type them up at the moment but they're pretty straightforward if you'd like them! :biggrin0:

Thanks everyone! I went out and finally found some isopure...it tastes and goes down sooo much better! I qalso found a bunch of other stuff that looked like it would be tasty! Here's the website if anyone's interested;

BariatricEating.com - Ready to Drink Protein

I have tried unjury...ugh(gross)!! My doctor gave me samples of Unjury and fusion, I have tried both and it didn't go so well. So I might look into trying some of midwest's recipes. My pre-op diet is so strict that I can't even have Soup or soda whatsoever! I think my main problem was the actual Protein Powder smell and taste, and no matter what I tried it in, nothing helped.

Does anyone else feel weak? I almost feel sick, like I'm not getting enough nutrition or food...lol! Maybe it's my body going into shock. Is the pre-op diet kind of like a detox? I'm wondering if maybe I will start feeling better when my system is cleaned out.

Angel,

some of what you're feeling is indeed detox.....detox from carbs. We're so accustomed to getting in carbs in ways we don't even think of. In fact...check the new Protein drink that you've just gotten......is it around 3 carbs per serving? If not...try to find one that is. I use Muscle Milk Light...available in my area in convenience stores, gas stations, fitness (bodybuilding) stores and some Vitamin Shoppes. It has 20 gm Protein and 10gm carbs but 0 gms sugar. It will take some searching to find a Protein Drink you can "depend" on, and as others have mentioned, your tastes may change dramatically after surgery. The best thing you can do is to really read the labels and look for the highest amount of protein you can find with the least amount of carbs. Do your best and you'll be fine.

When justifying the costs, just remember they are replacing meals and calories of junk nutrition your body used to think it needed!

look at theworldaccordingtoeggface.com website....it will give you lots of ideas for using protein powders to make really imaginative Desserts, ice creams, shakes etc. However, she'll tell you straight up that if your protein powder tastes like Monkey's ass plain, it won't taste much better than monkey's ass after you use it to make ice cream etc.....lol

Pre-op I "fixed up" some bad tasting shakes by adding in some sugar free pudding mix, or Torani or DaVinci sugar free syrups. It sometimes helps to drink it from a cup or bottle with a smaller spout so you can get it past your nose.

best wishes,

Tracy, my costco has the Muscle Milk Light in cases. I think they're $1.37 each when purchased in a case. I really like it. For now, pre-op, it tastes like chocolate milk and sustains me from Breakfast to lunch.< /p>

CreatingLee,

That's great for you. The nearest costco is 90 minutes away here and I'm not a member. We have Sam's Club locally and they don't carry the Muscle Milk Light or otherwise. The local Walmart carries Muscle Milk...but not the Light version.

The local bodybuilder shop will get it for me by the case for a reduced price but I haven't done that yet. I wanted to be sure my tastes didn't change after surgery.

O M G

I tried the Chike Orange Creme yesterday.....mixed it with reduced sugar orange juice (about 2 oz) and 5 oz Water plus a couple ice cubes...didn't blend it...just stirred it in. Anyone remember Orange Julius that used to be in the malls? that's what it's like! I'm ordering a large tub of this!

Tried the Chike banana cream and the Chike chocolate Wednesday..not impressed with either. I still have the Vanilla Creme and the strawberry Creme to try (I bought their samples pack. 5 full size samples, free, just pay shipping of $6.95. VERY WORTH WHILE!