Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When to exercise?

How soon after the surgery should/can you start exercising? I work as a medical courier and am in and out of my van all day going into and out of hospitals and doctors offices. So I do get some exercise with that, but would you suggest more? Anything in particular? What has worked best for some of you post-bandsters out there?

To quote from http://thinforlife.med.nyu.edu/faq.html#work:

"Using a laparoscopic technique for bariatric surgery has the advantage of allowing you to return to daily activities much faster than if you had the standard open incision. Healing of smaller incisions is faster with less pain, and has a lower risk for the development of hernias. Therefore, we encourage you to exercise as soon as you feel ready, and this can be as early as one week. Some people have returned to work on the 4th day after surgery, however, most patients find that they need 1 or 2 weeks before going back to work. You may feel tired during the first week, but you will feel more energetic as you lose weight. "

I was told that I could exercise after one week but I should not do sit ups or weight lifting for 4 weeks.

Hi Larry,

I started working out again at 1 week postop.

I did a lot of walking and very light weights. At about 6 weeks postop is when I started to get more indepth with my workouts. I can't really remember, but I don't think I did traditional ab workouts in the beginning because my port really bothered me. That took about 6 months before I really started focusing on that area.

I was banded a few months ago and watched a lot of weight come off effortlessly! I am ashamed to admit that I didn't start exercising until just this week! I don't think my weight loss will continue to come off as easily without some help from me in the form of exercise!! So three cheers for the treadmill!

I'm going to be another one who takes her time about exercising. I have every excuse in the book, but with two small children the opportunities are everywhere. What's been keeping me from moving around is my weight, and as that starts to resolve there will be more physical activity in my life.

I'm definitely not going to be worrying about exercise anytime soon. :D

I started walking 3/4 of a mile the first week, and now I am up to 1 mile in about 20 minutes. I was told not to lift anything over 15 pounds for 6 weeks weeks, so when I get filled next week I'll ask when I can start working out with the weights.

When I had my consultation with my surgeon, I asked him about this. He told me that he encourages his patients to start mild exercise right away (like walking, etc.). He said not to lift anything more than 20 lbs, though, for four weeks. He explained that the main reason for the wait is that heavy lifting like that can "jar" the band a bit, and waiting for about four weeks allows scar tissue to develop around the band, holding it in place better.

Originally posted by hodegard

He said not to lift anything more than 20 lbs, though, for four weeks. He explained that the main reason for the wait is that heavy lifting like that can "jar" the band a bit, and waiting for about four weeks allows scar tissue to develop around the band, holding it in place better.

Oh, great. :rolleyes: Tell my 35-lb 2-year-old that. I spent at least an hour hauling her around a crafts show today. I did avoid lifting her for the first week until my staples came out, but then she wouldn't take "no" for an answer. :D

Alexandra, I can relate - my 30-lb. almost-14-month-old was none too happy that Mama couldn't pick him up! :) He's better now, but I think he'll be glad when my doc gives me the OK to lift!

Exercise-wise - I'm just going very slowly. I started out at about a week post-op with just a couple of minutes on the treadmill, going very slowly. I'm up to 10 minutes on the treadmill, going about 2 miles an hour. I increase a little every day, but I saw no reason to start out going like gangbusters. Time enough to work up to that, and I know it will get easier as the weight begins to come off! :)

And just to show that every doctor is different: At my one-week post op, my doctor said I was good to go on exercise, including some weight lifting. Just no sit ups. I walked 20 min. on treadmill five days after surgery. It really seemed to fast forward my recovery. I did some weights yesterday...no discomfort.

Just one more difference...the doc told me that exercise is ok, just no abdominal exercise or heavy lifting for 3 months. I havent begun exercising yet, just banded 1 week ago. I figure I will begin walking soon. Also, my whole family is overweight, and my mother buys all the new exercise equipment (I know yall know what I mean) She just about has a whole gym! I figure I will exercise there after I dust them off...lol. Good luck to everyone and happy exercising.

Hey Larry, its Babs in TX saying hello!

To answer your question, any exercise you can fit into your daily regiment will help you with the weight loss. Before I was banded I did not exercise at all except to play with my children and walk around a little.

This is not true cardio exercise where your heart is beating consistently at more than 20 beats in 10 seconds for at least 20-25 minutes. True cardio workouts whether it be a very very brisk walk for a half hour or cycling, or jogging, swimming are the only true ways to speed your metabolism. IF you are not doing this, you will not lose as fast, nor will you improve your health dramatically. The first few weeks, try walking as briskly as you can. When you feel up to it, find a good gym or buy a bicycle or some home exercise equipment. Make sure it is something you enjoy doing or you will be quick to give it up and find excuses not to do it. I like Water aerobics, pilates,my gym is fun, but I hate walking in the hot TX sun and prefer other ways to get my exercise. Don't let your present weight make you insecure about doing things to improve the quality of your life or the length of it!!

334/291/180

6/23/03

-43 and counting

exercise?,,,,whats exercise!!...lol

just kidding, well to be honest im lazy, yes god dam lazy!!, even worse scince i got a car a year ago, but now i walk more and have just bought an exercise bike!!, watched 3 stone fall off me just like that....but slowing down now, so i think its time i kicked the weight loss up the ar** and did some work to help the band along!