Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just lazy I think

I have been so lazy I was hoping to be able to lose some weight without exercising and I did 18 pounds that is it my body won't respond any more I only eat 1200 calories a day but it still won't let me loose I guess without exercising. Boy am I lazy I so was hoping for say 50 pounds and then exercise, not. So I started the other day walking 15 min twice a day. I think part of me is afraid to find out that won't work either, but I'm giving myself a week or two to see if I respond to it at all. I'm almost 50 and I'm afraid my metabolism is shot, but I've heard of others around my age losing so I am hopeful still. On the fence though on being very mad about this whole thing with being banded and whether or not this is going to work, I've put a lot of money into this. I don't know if finding my green zone will make a difference, does it. How does that work? Won't I still be eating the same amount of calories? Or should I be eating less? I think I am just tired of concentrating on staying at 1200 calories which is not a lot of food. And I have not been losing so I'm tired. But I have not been doing what I am suppose to do either. So I have to start. So I'm venting I think. Thanks for listening.

~~~Stephanie

It's hard to work out when you are tired. I go through the same thing. Some days I'm motivated and some days I'm not. Having a workout buddy can help sometimes. I know for me weightloss is about 80/20 diet/exercise. It's great when I can get that extra 20% boost from exercise but it's hard to motivate myself to do it. I also agree about the metabolism thing. Damn it slows down the older we get! You're on the right track. Keep trying and you'll find something you can stick to and enjoy.

The metabolism definitely slows as we get older, no doubt. But, unless there is another medical issue at play, we can still lose weight despite it.

You definitely can lose weight without exercising, but you will lose slower and won't lose as much in inches because you're not replacing the fat with muscle.

This is just my experience, but I deal with fatigue due to having MS. MS fatigue is much different and more severe than "normal tired". So much so they give us drugs to combat it. But, I have found even with the MS fatigue, exercise helps alot. Your body releases endorphins and adrenaline when you exercise and these will give you a boost of energy. When I am really exhausted and dragging, that is when I know I need to exercise most because it helps so much.

Best wishes!

I am 50 and have been keeping my calorie count between 1000 and 1200 calories a day. I have also been walking for 25 to 60 minutes a day. Presently I am losing about 3 pounds per week. Stick with it. My incentive every day to do my exercise is that if I do not exercise I do not get my evening snack. If I want it, I make myself work for it. It has worked for me so far. Good luck.

The thing is muscle is what burns fat, it also gets your metabolism going. If you want to burn fat it is important to exercise. I go to 24 hour fitness, I just had surgery last Wed and will be going back to the gym tomorrow. I will not be able to do strength training right now, but the treadmill and bike will do for now. I get my gym membership for $13. a month through my insurance. You should check with your insurance and see if they have a wellness program. A 45 minute workout could be all that is standing in the way of your next loss! Good luck!

I have been so lazy I was hoping to be able to lose some weight without exercising and I did 18 pounds that is it my body won't respond any more I only eat 1200 calories a day but it still won't let me loose I guess without exercising. Boy am I lazy I so was hoping for say 50 pounds and then exercise, not. So I started the other day walking 15 min twice a day. I think part of me is afraid to find out that won't work either, but I'm giving myself a week or two to see if I respond to it at all. I'm almost 50 and I'm afraid my metabolism is shot, but I've heard of others around my age losing so I am hopeful still. On the fence though on being very mad about this whole thing with being banded and whether or not this is going to work, I've put a lot of money into this. I don't know if finding my green zone will make a difference, does it. How does that work? Won't I still be eating the same amount of calories? Or should I be eating less? I think I am just tired of concentrating on staying at 1200 calories which is not a lot of food. And I have not been losing so I'm tired. But I have not been doing what I am suppose to do either. So I have to start. So I'm venting I think. Thanks for listening.

~~~Stephanie

Hey Stephanie...is there a type of exercise that appeals to you? Biking or swimming perhaps? I'm very similar to you...a few years older but I weighed about what you did when I started...267 to be exact. I know you read my posts and are aware that I cannot exercise because of the arthritis and all I can do is swim in the pool....and it's not like burn calories swimming...it's let me just move around with no pain kind of swimming. I also stay around 1,000 to 1,150 calories. I've been amazed by the weight loss...76 lbs. as of yesterday. Maybe talk to the doctor or nutritionist....are you too high on the sodium perhaps and keeping Water weight on? All I'm saying is if I can be successful, there isn't a reason in the world that you can't have the same success. Believe me....I'm not special in any way and there's nothing different I'm doing than you are.... Stay strong, keep up the good work and keep us all posted on your progress. Best wishes...

~~~Stephanie

Ok Stephanie....two months post banding and at a TEMPORARY standstill....so you're having second thoughts and discouraged....it happens A LOT! Do not get discouraged!

Only a couple of months ago, you mentioned how you couldn't exercise at all...now you're walking twice a day. Thats a good start! :)

You are not too old...look at some of the VERY successful folks on here in their 50's, 60's and even some in their 70's now who've turned their life completely around. We are in our 40's....We have a LOT of life left to enjoy!

If concentrating on staying at some magic calorie number is causing you grief, STOP doing it! Concentrate on healthy foods, follow your surgical team's recommended "types" of foods, and eventually your band will help with the portions After all, THAT is why we had surgery....because we ate too much.

Just hang tough until you get to that point. You don't have to be perfect. Just NEVER, ever give up! I know you can do this...one day at a time.

Due to some medical issues I do not exercise. So considering my lifestyle sedentary (minus raising kids and a farm lol) I deliberately eat less calories to compensate. I am in the 800-950 calorie bracket. This was after I did some serious food logging to track calories and my body's response to it. At 1100-1200 lbs I gain. You may just be at your sweet maintenance spot. The equation is simple fat lost= calorie intake - energy output. The trick though is to fix one variable (calories or exercise) than determine how much of the other variable is needed to sustain if for the results (weight loss) you seek

Years ago when I thought "clean eating" was for me (which it wasn't!) I read that nutrition is 80% of losing weight. The other 20% is comprised of genetics and exercising. Exercise is more about cardiovascular health which, of course, is very important. What you eat will make you lose weight. I think this should be your focus. Are you eating too many carbs? That's my downfall and that's when I don't lose weight. Calories in, calories out makes sense, but what makes up those calories is more important. This is my opinion from all the diet books I've read.

Only almost 50, wow you are a youngster.

Take it from an old 58 year old, It is hard to get motivated.

Having the band for almost six years and not at goal yet would be a logical reason to get discouraged. Yes there are those days that I feel discouraged but then even though I gone up and down in my journey.

Here the kicker, Nothing else I have tried in the last 31 years has kept weight off not to mention over a hundred pounds.

Having been as close as within 25 pounds I got cocky and even though meal time were within most of the “rules” it was the snacking and eating after 9 o'clock that got to me and stopping any semblance of an exercise program I worked my way back up to 250. I recommitted myself in January, 2013 and started my slow weight loss once again.

You can get discouraged but please do not stay that way. Do not let the old ways win. This new journey demands a new you.

I am not in any way associated or have anything to gain by the following. The SparkPeople website has a lot of videos so that you can decide what type of exercise program you can do if you are able. Go to http://www.sparkpeople.com/ and then to “Articles & Videos” and then to “Video” and there will be many choices some you can do sitting on a chair like the “12-Minute Seated Core Workout” http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=42 . “11-Minute Chair Cardio Workout” http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=38 “9-Minute Seated Arm and Shoulder Workout” http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos-detail.asp?video=39 .

Ok, I just turned the age of retirement. I feel more energy now than I did in the beginning. It wasn't a matter of being lazy I just physically could not exercise. I needed a mobility cart just to go food shipping. I'm happy to say I'm walking with the aid of the shopping cart. I've been disabled since 1980. I weighed less back then but my energy was high. I was walking with a cane but often did not need it. My exercise consists of about 15-25 min a day walking with my cane. My ultimate goal is to hopefully be cane free someday. Every little bit of exercise helps even if it's only 15 minutes of walking. The weight will come off. If you are still at a standstill contact your doctor or nutritionist. Maybe you have to adjust your caloric intake. I do better at 1500 calories than I do at 1200.

I have been so lazy I was hoping to be able to lose some weight without exercising and I did 18 pounds that is it my body won't respond any more I only eat 1200 calories a day but it still won't let me loose I guess without exercising. Boy am I lazy I so was hoping for say 50 pounds and then exercise' date=' not. So I started the other day walking 15 min twice a day. I think part of me is afraid to find out that won't work either, but I'm giving myself a week or two to see if I respond to it at all. I'm almost 50 and I'm afraid my metabolism is shot, but I've heard of others around my age losing so I am hopeful still. On the fence though on being very mad about this whole thing with being banded and whether or not this is going to work, I've put a lot of money into this. I don't know if finding my green zone will make a difference, does it. How does that work? Won't I still be eating the same amount of calories? Or should I be eating less? I think I am just tired of concentrating on staying at 1200 calories which is not a lot of food. And I have not been losing so I'm tired. But I have not been doing what I am suppose to do either. So I have to start. So I'm venting I think. Thanks for listening.

~~~Stephanie[/quote']

Stephanie- your not lazy! I am 51 and have not started exercising yet. Well , let me back up. I did start last December (was banded nov 7th) and developed a case of bursitis in my hip so I stopped. Just recently I hit a plateau and was just stuck. Then that pesky bursitis came back with a vengeance and I had to see a doctor . Got my hip injected Nd am now doing physical therapy. I work in a busy same day surgery unit so I'm always running around. It hurt so bad I almost couldn't walk . I am feeling much better now and I told the physical therapist I want this healed so I can start exercising. It has been my experience that 1200calories can be good calories or bad. Take a GOOD loos at WHAT your eating and you will find why your not losing. Myself I watch carbs-try to increase your Protein . If you have a dietician at your surgeons office pay her a visit with a good diary..she will be able to tweak what your eating. I was getting lazy and not packing salads fort lunch and eating chicken strips in our hospital cafeteria- loaded with salt and white flour in the breaking! I quit those and started packing a salad with grilled chicken and the scale started going down again! As soon as my hip is healed I will be starting my exercise program. After 50we need weights to strengthen our bones to prevent osteoporosis. I like the eliptical because its not do hard in your joints. Start slowly and no more feeling sorry for yourself! Be proud of what you have accomplished so far!