Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello---this is my first posting. I was banded on 5/1/06 by Dr. Posner in Buffalo, NY. I did a lot of research about the gastric lap band surgery prior to my own banding....now, I feel like I don't know a thing about it!! :P Could somebody answer a few questions ??--is depression normal ?? what is the usual meal ?? can you eat meat again ?? are the "fills" painful ??....I'm sure I'll have a million more questions. Thanks.

Peggy

hi peggy,..... yes you can eat meat again. i had my band november 18th of 2004. people are different, in my case i have trouble with bread, pasta, rice, and beef. but like i said everyone is different. and i also have trouble with shrimp too. but doesn't mean you will have a problem some people don't have a problem. i am out 18 months and down 100 pounds so far.:P

thank you annford

my email address is fordforda9466@aol.com you can email me if you like okay

I am just banded and down 47lbs, yes you can eat again in small quantities and its different for each person on what is ok and what is not. talk to your doc and see what he tells you and stick to his instructions, I have done this and three weeks out and I am ok,

Hi

I was encouraged by the response I received that Medicare does pay. However, when I began searching the internet for Docs in my area, and many phone calls I found most of them aren't Medicare providers. That means that the whole charge would be for me to pay. That's an impossibility as I can't work, and live on social security. I did find one and am registered for the seminar this week. I'm excited and scared.I need total knee replacement on both knees and spend pretty much of my time in a wheelchair. My therapist and surgeon both think I should have lap band surgery first. I understand the reasoning, but 3 surgeries in my near future overwhelms me a bit. a big bit. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone having similar problems. Is it hard to get approved? What should I anticipate as recovery time? I wonder how much weight I would need to lose to become a better candidate for the replacement surgeries.I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts. Thanks Kay

I feel you pain... I to am waiting surgery "lap band". Trust me,,, you are not alone! I need both knees replaced, but, my Surgeon say's "I won't

touch you untill you can put both knees together like a person should be able to...." Well,,, I went to a seminar and learned to count all my calories,

no more then 1200 a day. and I have lost about 84 lbs. since October.

Still have a long way to go. Even excerise in a chair will do some good,

but the cutting back, no caffiene, no sweets, and no carbs played a

big key. sstasevich@wowway.com is my email address. Write and we

can chat. Shirley...:)

Thanks for responding. Congratulations on your weight loss. THAT"S TREMENDOUS! Your surgeon sounds mean. He didn't have to talk to you that way. But you've done great job.

I just got home from the lap band seminar. So much information! I"m overwhelmed. I'll have to stop smoking, which is a long term addiction that I've never ben able to lick. Maybe this will be what it takes to succeed this time. I don't want to spend the rest of my liife in this kind of pain, and restricted by the wheelchair. I can't lift iit into my car, so I can't go anywhere wiithout someone strong to do it for me. I'm exhauusted,, but I'll write more later. Thanks again for sharing. Kay

New to Texas! I have just moved here from Buffalo, N.Y. I am still going through a lot of adjustments. I recently got a surgery date with Dr. Davidson of Dallas. I am both excited and scared at the same time. It is not because of the surgery, but of the fear that I don't have my mind in the right place to be beneficial to the program. I guess I've been on so many diet plans and took the weight off just to put it back on, then some. I am afraid that I will put the weight back on. It is very discouraging to work so hard eating right and exercising just to gain it all back. I lost over 70 lbs. in 2004 before my wedding and have done great unjustice to myself by putting over 100 lbs. on. Talk about discouraging!!I'm looking for encouragement. Also, if anyone has any info on Dr. Davidson could you please respond. Thanks!!! :)

Wellcome to Texas! I'm from Houston. I'm new to the forum, so I don't really know what I'm doing.I guess I responded from the wrong place. This must be a really big change for you after Buffalo..I've just been here for 3 yrs. Spent my whole life in Illinois.. But, I love it.

I'm sorry that you are suffering. I can relate. I once lost 70 lbs., down to my goal weight and felt so good. I never thought it would happen to me again.I was even a Weightwatcher's lecturer for 10 years. It makes me very angry at myself to be in this position. I have so many health problems caused by, or related to my morbid obesity.

I haven't heard of your Dr. which means nothing. Hopefully you will get responses from others who know him. My dr. is Garth Davis. He is with The Methodist Hosp Weight management group. He is approved by Medicare, but the Hosp. hasn't yet been approoved by them. I'm going to make an appt with him anyway and see what happens. My son took me to the seminar. He is interested too and has weight related problems. He will be a great source of supportfor me if I am accepted. I hope you have supportive people in your life. Try to be more kind to yourself, You have made a great step in the right direction. That's what I keep telling myself.

I'd love to hear from you again. Kay

Hi Leslie....

So you're a Buffalo transplant ?? I can't imagine why you left ! LOL

Stop beating yourself up---there's too many other people out there who are happy to do that for you. You've made a choice and whatever reasons brought you to that choice must be very important to you. When you feel self-doubt, just remember your reasons for doing it !

I can relate to your anger about working so hard at losing weight only to put it back on. But that's the past---it's over! Look to the future.

I hope that's encouraging---actually, I'm trying to encourage myself at the same time !!

We're the same age Leslie--what part of Buffalo were you from ? Who knows, maybe we knew each other : )

Peggy

Go Sabres !!!!

Thanks for the dose of encouragement!! Last year was the year from hell. The result was the weight gain. I know I have to put the past in the past and move forward. Any how, I am from The Town of Tonawanda. It's about half way between the city of Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Are you familiar with these areas?? Where do you live? You mentioned that you needed a little encouragement yourself. Anything I can do?! I've heard of the doctor that did your surgery. I also know of a couple of people who live in Buffalo who have had gastric bypass by two different surgeons. One, a male, lost alot of weight. The other (obviously female) did okay, but lost her weight very slowly and didn't lose as much. Tell me all about where you are in your journey. I would love to hear it!!

Hi Leslie,

I'm very familiar with Tonawanda....I have relatives and friends that live there. I'm from West Seneca....went to Mt. Mercy for high school.

I'm doing well...went to the doctor on Wednesday...will have my first fill on June 14....I'm in the pureed food stage woooo hooooo. I'm just trying to get my mind around this whole change of my way of life. I thought I was prepared, but until you actually do it, you don't know what you're in for.

Do you still have family here ??

Go Sabres....please !!:clap2:

Hi! I'm living in Texas now but will be moving to Buffalo at the end of the summer. Do you like your doctor? I am looking for a band doctor in the Buffalo area. Also, did you like living in Buffalo? I am moving for a job. I'm excited but would love any tips about the area.

Hi Monica

Yes, I like my doctor very much. His name is Dr. Alan Posner and he works at Buffalo General Hospital.

I've lived here all my life, so if you want any information, I'll be glad to help you out. Do you have a place to live yet ? Are you moving by yourself ? What part of the city will you be working in ?

Hi! I just moved here to Buffalo, NY, and am looking to chat with any WNY bandsters. Are you still there?

Monica