Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2nd Fill yesterday and I'm miserable

Had my second fill yesterday and I've been in misery since trying to eat dinner last night. I didn't know much about what he did but today found out he went from 2.5cc to 9cc...water was going down fine but when I tried to eat last night it got stuck and I puked and puked all night. Finally about 2am I got to sleep but was back up at 6am. It took me about an hour to get my Protein Shake down this morning and have been sipping Water through the day. Did another Protein shake tonight for dinner and again am sipping on water. Is this feeling of tightness normal after such a big jump in the amount of Fluid added to the band? I wasn't expecting it to be such a HUGE difference. Any suggestions?

Keep sipping liquids!!! That will keep you from becoming dehydrated. I've notice d that a fill seems to cause the stomach to swell, but the feeling passes after a few days. If you don't feel better soon, I'd call your doctor's office. That seems to be a rather large change in fills.

Agree with labwalker; that's a whole lotta saline in one fell swoop. I'm not surprised you are feeling very restricted. See if it settles in; if not I'd get some taken out. You want to be able to eat comfortably and not have to resort to slider foods just to eat.

2.5 to 9 is a HUGE difference...are you sure? How large is your band?

Anyway, after a fill I have found NOT to eat anything solid for 24-48 hrs....the band can be irritated, inflamed from the fill, and eating will only compound the problem....and it will never go away untill I finally stop and give it that rest I should have done in the first place...

Like spraining your ankle, you need to stay off it for a while to heal...otherwise......

I have talked to people who, after getting a fill, started eating solids right away, which continued to irritate the band, to the point they were still miserable 2 weeks later, and wound up getting an un fill. When you call your DXr. with those symptoms, what does one expect him/her to say? Don't eat for 24-48 hours after a fill? He/she probably already said that....

After the un needed un-fill, they then turn around and say they are hungry, gaining weight, and the Bnad is NOT WORKING....

Truth is, the band is/was trying to work, but because of patient non-compliance never gave it a chance....

This is why so many Dr.'s are going to the sleeve....

Not saying this is you, I have no idea...just saying what I have observed from experience with some people....

Most doctors recommend fluids for 24-48 hours after a fill. Considering the massive size of your fill, I'm not at all surprised you weren't able to eat the same day you got the fill.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go to fluids for a day or two. If you're still so tight then you likely need some of the Fluid removed.

Your doctor should have included to you a liquid diet only for the first 2 days after this fill which was a biggie. You must have a 14cc band for him to put in so much. When i get fills i usually add an extra day for recovery to the doctors 24 hours only. I would dilute the Protein shake with some Water or skim milk to make it less thick.

Best wishes

The band I have is 10cc...and yes, when I called the office I was told that a 7cc fill is huge but I will probably NOT need another adjustment until I hit my weight loss goal...I have 70 lbs to go. I do go back in 5 weeks and at that time I may need 1/2cc but they doubt it. He never communicated anything about a liquid diet for 24-48 hours which makes perfect sense...I woke up today feeling much better this morning and was able to take more sips of Water so I'm feeling much more at ease with it all. thank you all for your replies...I am very grateful I stumbled upon this site...it has truly been a blessing to be able to read and be inspired by you all.

Like others said, you won't be able to eat that quickly after a fill... Especially one that huge! My 1st fill, I wen from 4ccs to 5. I had to do 48 hours liquids, 24 hours mushy food, and then back to solids. Take it easy... Because if you do, this could end up bring great for you and put you right where you need to be! Good luck.

I have a question for everyone/anyone, is such a large fill a normal occurrence? I thought fills would be given slowly so the person could get to that green zone where they are comfortable eating and drinking in smaller portioned sized amounts?

Am I off base with that understanding?